Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:51:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8
8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Swingarm Sealed bearing system  (Read 22819 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Swingarm Sealed bearing system
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:16:29 pm »
I've been getting asked so many times lately about info on my sealed bearing system that I thought I'd upload all the info I have here so anyone can read it at there leisure.Maybe it could be stickied.
You will notice a couple of inconsistencies as things changed as it was developed but from memory the main things are you need only four 2mm thick shims not the mix of 2mm and 1mm shims.
The depth of the threads in the through shaft where increased.
Oh and it works on an 856 with a different shaft I haven't uploaded the drawing for this as it may confuse things.

Simon.

Above reaming the swingarm pivots to accept the sealed bearings. I do this with the pinch bolts fitted and they are
screwed in very lightly nipped up,this helps prevent the pivot hole oppening up when reaming and giving a concentric hole.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:15:50 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

dcarr1971

• Apprentice
    • My Proflex bikes
Re: Swingarm Sealed bearing system
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:43:52 pm »
Thanks Simon!  I haven't needed to do this yet, but I'm sure it will come in handy in the future!  :)
1998 k2 Proflex 3000
1996 Proflex Attack
1994 Proflex 754

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:35 am »

Above reaming the swingarm pivots to accept the sealed bearings. I do this with the pinch bolts fitted and they are
screwed in very lightly nipped up,this helps prevent the pivot hole oppening up when reaming and giving a concentric hole.

Did you make up that reamer yourself? ???
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:33:07 am »
No its just a standard adjustable reamer (I have a few in varous sizes) that I happen to have.
Its the sort of tool that was used for reaming steering king pin bushes on old cars that have a beam axle.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:54:14 am »
Gonna save this away for future reference too, might be a daft question but which bike is the dimensioned drawing of shaft for. It says 4500 on the title, is that the same for all carbon swing arms? (Mine's a 957)

cheers
Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:30:21 pm »
No its just a standard adjustable reamer (I have a few in varous sizes) that I happen to have.
Its the sort of tool that was used for reaming steering king pin bushes on old cars that have a beam axle.
Ok, I think I found one called an "Extra long adjustable replacable bladed reamer".

McMaster.com Part # 3027A17

Man, these kind of tools are not common in my parts. What do you think Simon?

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:27 pm »
Ok, I think I found one called an "Extra long adjustable replacable bladed reamer".

McMaster.com Part # 3027A17

Man, these kind of tools are not common in my parts. What do you think Simon?

Terry

Sounds the right sort of tool, you need to make sure its adjustable from at least 20mm upto 24mm+ and that
it has the centralizing taper guide to ensure perfect alinement.

Simon.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:38:02 pm by kiwi »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:30 pm »
Gonna save this away for future reference too, might be a daft question but which bike is the dimensioned drawing of shaft for. It says 4500 on the title, is that the same for all carbon swing arms? (Mine's a 957)

cheers
Ade

Hi Ade
the shaft drawing is for the 4500/5500 and Oz ONLY
however I do have a shaft drawing for the 856/857/857/957 as well Here

Simon

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 01:58:29 pm »

cheers
Ade

Ade, Simon did my Oz(4500), and my 957 swingarm at the same time and they both use similar parts, and work amazing. I have only 2 more carbon swingarms to convert and they are both 957 swingarms.

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

DugB

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:42 pm »
Hello all,

I'm going to build and install the swingarm sealed bearing system on my K2/Proflex 4000 this weekend and am wondering: how much material will I end up reaming off? Is the reaming necessary just to create a perfectly round mating surface for the bearings, or is it needed or increase the inner diameter of the swingarm mount sheel so it can even accommodate the bearings?

Thanks in advance,
- Doug
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2
a very understanding wife

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:28:45 am »
Hello all,

I'm going to build and install the swingarm sealed bearing system on my K2/Proflex 4000 this weekend and am wondering: how much material will I end up reaming off? Is the reaming necessary just to create a perfectly round mating surface for the bearings, or is it needed or increase the inner diameter of the swingarm mount sheel so it can even accommodate the bearings?

Thanks in advance,
- Doug

Both your reaming to increase the diameter from (if I remember correctly) 22mm to 24mm so the bearings will fit and also ensuring the diameter is perfectly round.
In an ideal world you would have a machine shop line bore them.

Simon.

DugB

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:37 pm »
Hey all,

I received my 7075 spindle and spacers in the mail from the machinist a few days ago...really nice work! The spindle is super light due to the through-drilling, and the spacers stop definitively at the spindle ridge.

My only question, though, is how tight the bearing-to-spindle fit should be? My bearings seem like they'd require a little force to get onto the spindle...is that correct?

Dropped my swingarm and bearings off at the local machine shop this morning...not sure when it will be done (hopefully not more than a few days), and then we'll see how this thing goes together :-)

Thanks again for posting all the info here!

- Doug :-)
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2

DugB

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:21 am »
So I picked up my reamed swingarm at the machine shop today...and my otherwise reasonable shop made me feel a bit reamed too, $80 lighter when I left. They said one reason it took that long (and that much $$) was because they had to think hard about how to clamp it (so as to not break the bond between the allow & carbon) and that there were no flat areas to use as a reference. I'm  thinking they used a line boring machine, as opposed to the hand reamer in the pictures. Well, the work looks great, and I needed a little project, so I'm not too upset about the cost. At this point I think I'm into this project for $140...and surprisingly the bearings were the cheapest part. An experiences machinist probably could've done it for the cost of the bearings, bolts & 7075 stock, seemingly about $30. Sadly, I am not a skilled machinist :-)

I also found some nice titanium, M8x25 flanged hex bolts on eBay (seller is  nj-cycles). The pics aren't as accurate for the product you receive...on the bolts they sent the threads go nearly alll the way to the flange, and a run with an M8 die took them all the way to the top. 

Tonight I'll start the reassembly process...this is the fun part :-)

- Doug
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 01:55:03 pm »
DugB, the assembly is going to be SOOOO easy!  Then you are done forever. Too bad, because nothing left to tinker there. ::)

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

DugB

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 02:02:38 pm »
Hey!

That's nice to hear...I do know that I have some light reduction to do on the spindle end ODs, as the bearings were a tight fit when I test fitted them. A temperature differential would probably take care of it, but I didn't want to have a hard time disassembling it the next time around. Sound like the right approach to try to reduce the diameter a thousandth or so?

Thanks!
- Doug :-)
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2