Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:35:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Swingarm Sealed bearing system  (Read 22393 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Swingarm Sealed bearing system
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 02:36:32 pm »
Hey!

That's nice to hear...I do know that I have some light reduction to do on the spindle end ODs, as the bearings were a tight fit when I test fitted them. A temperature differential would probably take care of it, but I didn't want to have a hard time disassembling it the next time around. Sound like the right approach to try to reduce the diameter a thousandth or so?

Thanks!
- Doug :-)
Mine fit just right. I think you are right to take a bit off so the bearings slide on.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

DugB

• Master
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:12:17 am »
Hello all,

I installed my sealed bearing upgrade this weekend and WOW, there was a noticeable difference. With the Risse Astro 5 installed on the rear I really noticed a reduction in stiction...but there's an issue with my Astro 5 right now, so mid-ride I swapped it  out with the stock Noleen unit, which also seemed to perform better.

As per Terry's suggestion I chucked the spindle in my drill press and applied a fine sandpaper to the spindle ends while spinning to make the bearing installation a little smoother. Worked like a charm :-)

I'll upload a few pictures when I get a chance. Thanks again to everyone who created the tech specs and installation instructions!

5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2
a very understanding wife

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »
Hello all,

I installed my sealed bearing upgrade this weekend and WOW, there was a noticeable difference. With the Risse Astro 5 installed on the rear I really noticed a reduction in stiction...but there's an issue with my Astro 5 right now, so mid-ride I swapped it  out with the stock Noleen unit, which also seemed to perform better.

As per Terry's suggestion I chucked the spindle in my drill press and applied a fine sandpaper to the spindle ends while spinning to make the bearing installation a little smoother. Worked like a charm :-)

I'll upload a few pictures when I get a chance. Thanks again to everyone who created the tech specs and installation instructions!

This was the whole reason why I elected to post the drawings and instructions of my design.
I'm very pleased to hear your happy with it all  ;), so far this system has been around for 4 or 5 years now and the very first one I did is still running strong and is still running the origonal bearings.
Yet to hear of a failure.

Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Gee3

• Novice
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:33 pm »
So do you think you'll ever produce a complete kit for those of us that aren't so inclined to assemble their own kit? 

Frankly I have no clue where to get the tubing machined and threaded...

You could make a few bucks off this selling the kit on eBay to schleps like me!!  :)

Just a thought. 

Thanks!

superhondaman

• Novice
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 12:49:56 pm »
Is this system aplicable to the 955 ?

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »
Is this system aplicable to the 955 ?
That would be YES! I think that is the World Cup Design frame.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 11:38:31 am »
Update to my Oz sealed bearing conversion.

All has been well since I installed it, but lately it had developed a creak which I mistook for the cable ferrule. Over the last couple of months it got loud enough that I carried an oiler with me. On my my ride last weekend it came back and pinpointed it to the swingarm pivot. Thinking the worst I took it apart but could find nothing, but did notice a bit of flaring where the large diameter on the shaft flared where in contact with the inner washer. Ah-ha, looks like the washers were a tad loose on the pivot flange insert and moving ever so little but when dry conveyed a creak thru the frame.

I ran it up to the shop and turned 1 mm off the length of the large diameter and 1 mm off the overall length.  I think that some frames may be slightly different and mine was a bit narrower.

See the original diameter lengths on this drawing. The large diameter length is now 52.8mm, and overall length is now 83mm.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:15:14 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:15 am »
Update to my Oz sealed bearing conversion.

All has been well since I installed it, but lately it had developed a creak which I mistook for the cable ferrule. Over the last couple of months it got loud enough that I carried an oiler with me. On my my ride last weekend it came back and pinpointed it to the swingarm pivot. Thinking the worst I took it apart but could find nothing, but did notice a bit of flaring where the large diameter on the shaft flared where in contact with the inner washer. Ah-ha, looks like the washers were a tad loose on the pivot flange insert and moving ever so little but when dry conveyed a creak thru the frame.

I ran it up to the shop and turned 1 mm off the length of the large diameter and 1 mm off the overall length.  I think that some frames may be slightly different and mine was a bit narrower.

See the original diameter lengths on this drawing. The large diameter length is now 52.8mm, and overall length is now 83mm.

Terry

Sorry to hear this Terry but I'm glad you've been able to sort it out easily.Trouble is the drawing was done to exacting measurements from my bike and as you point out there probably is a tolerance difference between some bikes,I hope this turns out to be a one off.
I suspect if the shaft and shims had been made from steel this may not of happened.
Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 12:28:35 pm »
No worries Simon.

Better to be a tad big than too small. Seriously this conversion is gold. ;)

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:08 am »
I am liking the look of this conversion for my 855 and the newest addition to the shop too.  Upon disassembling the 856 pivot, I found that the through-hole is not concentric in the frame pivot.  ????? 
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:51 pm »
I am liking the look of this conversion for my 855 and the newest addition to the shop too.  Upon disassembling the 856 pivot, I found that the through-hole is not concentric in the frame pivot.  ????? 

Unfortunatly some 856's are like that ( I suspect poor quality control), I had one like that and another one that was fine.
I never got around to working out how to over come this, sorry.

Simon

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »
That frame was the one that was recycled.  The present one looks better.  Could bore them concentric and increase the size of the axle.  Meanwhile, I'll just keep  on assembling and ride.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

phoward5000

• Novice
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 07:07:43 am »
Simon, your conversion is great in terms of performance. How much weight does this mod add?
98' K2 Proflex 5000
06' Giant TCR Composite

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:22 am »
Simon, your conversion is great in terms of performance. How much weight does this mod add?
Oh, you are going to make me tear mine apart a weigh it? Now I have to know. :D :D :D
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

knottyknotty

• Novice
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 06:55:30 am »
hi all
looking at doing this conversion on my 5500 ,have stripped swing arm off ,so now i am left with frame do i need to remove the metal inserts from frame or does the new shaft fit inside these ?

thxs john