Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 01:23:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 28
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Anyone know the weight of an Evo frame?  (Read 4467 times)

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
Anyone know the weight of an Evo frame?
« on: July 23, 2003, 02:00:49 am »
I'm not a dedicated weight weenie (although I love having lots of titanium & carbon bits) but a few of us were discussing the weights of our bikes and what we speculated our respective bike weigh and I really had no idea what mine tipped the scales at.

Since I don't have a scale, and the fish scale that my friend had was far from accurate, I simply typed up a spreadsheet with all my components listed and their individual weights. But when it came to the frame I really had no idea. I searched the internet, the weight-weenies site, but could not find any information.

I do remember when Supergo was selling Evo frames they listed the weight (if I remember correctly) at 7.1lbs for the aluminum swingarm, and 7.8lbs. for the carbon swingarm models. (I remember thinking it odd that the carbon swingarm actually weighed more? [smiley=redface.gif] )

Now even if those weights are correct, I have since abandoned my NR-2 shock in favor of the 8.5" Fox Vanilla RC (which definately ADDS weight! [smiley=nod.gif]) or the 7.875" Fox Float RC-Air (which certainly reduces the weight)

So my long winded question is: has anyone ever weighed their frame (with or with out the shock) or know what the actual claimed wieght of a Evo frame?

Also, if you do have the info, what model year, what size, and what swingarm material is it for?

BTW, due to lazieness, I have been riding my bike with the Fox Float RC (air) instead of the usual Fox Vanilla RC (coil) and have been really surprised how great it feels on the bike. I have even hit some 4' jumps without bottoming the shock (even with it set at a really plush air preasure). I think that anyone looking for a replacement for their NR2 might consider this shock (especially since they are fairly cheap on e-bay)

proflexGB

• Novice
  • Back in Blighty
Re: Anyone know the weight of an Evo frame?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 09:07:32 pm »
I have a medium EVO in bits at the mo, so will weigh the front triangle, carbon arm and NR4 separately so you can work out the totals with different shocks installed.

I'll have a look this weekend and post the weights then, if my scales go high enough.....

Cheers.

(BTW, I'll have a new pic for your EVO gallery as well!  [smiley=nod.gif])
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 09:09:14 pm by proflexGB »
Nigel .....

Two Proflex K2 5500 's, FOX Floats 100 and 80 up front, SID RACE and Float Talas rears, Spinergys, XTR, CT2s, B4 SLs, ti bolts, Next LP cranks, Ti Eggbeaters......

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 01:07:17 am »
just curious andy, what do you weigh and what air pressure are you running?

do you mount the fox float shock head up or down and does the shock head interfer with the side mounting plates under the seat at full compression?  is your shock a straight air or have R or L?

i seem to remember keen stating that his fox air shock had too linear a compression and at his 200 lbs was hitting the head of the shock, mounted upside down, on the plates.  i think in remember another air shock where someone had to cut away part of the plates to accomodate.

your thoughts?

OP
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 01:08:56 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 04:12:25 am »
OP,

I weigh about 190lbs. and I think I am running the shock at about 200lbs. of preasure. I'll double check though.

I don't think that the air sleeve ,even when completely bottomed out, would hit the mounting bracket under the seat. I meant to take all the air out to test this in the safety of my basement, but never got time. I have launched off of a nasty 4' with a slow drop (the drop at low speed uses more of the travel than even bigger jumps with a smoother transition) and have not hit the side plates. so I think I'm safe  ??? ...I hope!

I have a 2001 model Float RC (with rebound adj & lock-out) I'm pretty sure that it's the same as the Float RL. You would think that the RC would have compresion adj. rather than a lock-out, but the only difference I am told is that the RC is the aftermarket model and the RL is the OEM.

I am the nut who filed away part of the mounting plate to accomodate the air inlet valve (the pain -in-the-ass with that is that you must remove the shock from the mounting plate to add air, but once I got the correct preasure, I have not needed to touch it)

I had to mount the shock upside down to get it to fit(wouldn't fit any other way) and to allow access to the rebound and lock-out.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 04:50:32 am »
i was looking for that pic but couldn't locate it
the 'notch job'

that swingarm appears to have been in contact with the rear main triangle tube - maybe you hit there before the shock bottoms out - not a conventional stop but it appears to be working

OP

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 06:27:43 am »
The claimed weight on my K2 5000 with Smart Shock and carbon swingarm was 6.6 lbs according to Supergo. I think that is pretty close. I think the newer EVO's actually gained weight to go along with a more "trailbike" image.

And yes, according to official K2 people, the aluminum swingarm is both lighter AND stronger than the carbon one. No wonder they stopped making the carbon!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

proflexGB

• Novice
  • Back in Blighty
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 10:13:35 pm »
Yeah but the carbon one looks a million times better.
Here are the weights.....

- Front triangle (medium, with headset cups and seat clamp)  1.57 kg (3lbs 7oz)

- Carbon arm  1.08 kg (2lbs 6oz)

- NR4  583 g (1lb 4oz)
- Fox Float rear  289 g (10oz)

- Bolts for arm and shock 50g (2oz) approx.

Hope this helps
Nigel.
Nigel .....

Two Proflex K2 5500 's, FOX Floats 100 and 80 up front, SID RACE and Float Talas rears, Spinergys, XTR, CT2s, B4 SLs, ti bolts, Next LP cranks, Ti Eggbeaters......

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 01:53:21 am »
lighter and stronger?  

hmmmmmm!

salespeople can be quite adept at purporting that what they are currently selling is much better than what they are not.  
after many years in corporate america - my first filter to what i hear is "what aren't they telling me?"

i seem to remember quite a few cracked aluminum swingarms in the past with recall - don't ever remember it happening on the carbons.

just thinking out loud guys -

OP
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 01:54:57 am by Old_Proflexer »

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 04:47:19 am »
i have both the carbon and alum swingarm and there ain't a lot of difference in wt or performance. the alum is a bit stiffer but i liked the way the carbon  felt.cosmetically i prefer the carbon but the alum one i got on warranty is bright yellow and looks really funky on my copper frame so all i need is a green fork!

proflexGB

• Novice
  • Back in Blighty
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 08:50:18 am »
Couple more weights for ya...

Carbon front triangle, 5500 Large  1.34 kg (2lb 15oz)

Alu swing arm 1.14kg (2lb 8oz)

so the carbon arm is lighter.(just!)

Ok so the carbon arm had no canti bolts and the carbon triangle had no headset cups or seatclamp...

Anyway there you are all the bits for a breakdown of an evo/5500 frame .

Nigel.
Nigel .....

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 04:09:31 pm »
Andy and OP,
If you're looking to mount a Fox air and you need to dismount the shock to add air, why not set the shock up with some type of low profile or flush mount schraeder valve and avoid filing the lower mount all together?  I do remember, Andy, you said some engineers at work thought the mount was not compromised by the filing :)
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

proflexGB

• Novice
  • Back in Blighty
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 11:12:07 pm »
If you fit the Fox Float air version without the lockout you can mount it the other way up with a carbon frame without modifying the mounts.

Nigel .....

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 01:11:14 am »
Nigel,

No you can't mount it the other way, mainly because the air inlet valve is in the way. (of course you could file a notch in the upper mount on the frame - but I wouldn't advise it)

this is the only way you can mount a Fox Float to an Evo, regardless of whether it is an "RC", an "RL" an "R" or even just the plain Float.

Let me know if you have any other questions, - glad to help.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 01:24:38 pm »
Andy-I do have a question see my post above.
Scott
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

proflexGB

• Novice
  • Back in Blighty
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 06:56:57 am »
Like this,...

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=proflexGB/Resize_of_right_way_up_Float.jpg

Doesn't catch on the frame, fitted OK after filing down the shock bushes top and bottom.

(PS, can someone please tell me how to put a pic directly into a post?)

Cheers.
Nigel .....