Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:26:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44
44 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Elite Crosslinks on Zaskar??  (Read 3708 times)

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
Elite Crosslinks on Zaskar??
« on: April 14, 2005, 08:25:58 am »
Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum after hours searching for a website for my Proflex Beast 96.Anyway, I've started t build my girl a bike,its a 14.5" Zaskar frame and I thought It would look great with some Crosslink forks on it which i bought off ebay.Trouble is they dont seem to fit,the geometry looks all wrong, is it me or are these forks not compatable with this frame? And also, the bushes on my Beast Frame are getting worn,where would I get spares from? Thanks. Steve

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Elite Crosslinks on Zaskar??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 10:43:54 am »
Hi Knee,

The crosslinks come in 2 sizes from what I know. Short for 100 to 125mm headtubes and tall for longer headtubes. I think the Zaskar has a short headtube. and you picked up a tall crosslink. The difference that I know is the size of the upper links.

As far a getting bushings, go to K2 direct. The prices are fair. The contact info is in the links page.

Good luck, Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:26:12 am »
 ;DThanks for that, looks like they will be going back on ebay then!

Cheers
Steve

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 02:20:02 am »
Wait wait wait!!! You give up so easily?

How about just locating the upper link mount you need to make them work with your girl's Zaskar frame????? IIRC, Simon seems to have one or two of these in his thread with pieces for sale. That upper link mount couldn't be that much money. I THINK you only need to replace this one piece, but you can always ask around with the others to double check the length of the parallel links.

You're auction isn't up for a few days, and as the seller you have the right to remove the item. I'd like to suggest you spend a day or two finding the length of those links with others here and giving it another try armed with a bit more knowledge.

C'mon man, do it for her. Okay, and your wallet.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 02:58:28 am »
 [smiley=nod.gif]Hey Frank you're right! I've mailed Simon to see if he has the part. Thing is I have some Pace RC36 forks here that need a steerer tube so I may have to resort to them yet.

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 03:03:38 am »
So, can anyone help? To make the Girvin Elite forks fit do I just need a different top mount?

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 10:48:39 am »
Steve, I don't know if you have a digi-cam, but if you do, maybe take a few pics and put them in a gallery here. I'll measure up some of the stuff on my tall CrossLink and post them so you can make some comparison measurements. This way you can be sure of what you've got. That's an important first step.

Perhaps someone wouldn't mind taking a few measurements of their short/normal CrossLinks to help out Steve and his daughter? I think what we're really after is probably just the actual bolt centers of the actual links. Anyone concur?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 10:49:35 am by frankd3000 »
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 10:45:50 pm »
Ok Frank I uploaded the pictures, what measurements do you want? By the way its my girlfriend not daughter! [smiley=laughing.gif]!DOnt think I have any kids yet,not that I know about anyway!!

Steve

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 05:08:13 am »
 [smiley=laughing.gif] SORRY! You said "girl" and I made a bad assumption. Apologies.

Excellent work with the pics - nice rides, btw.

Okay. I did a TON of snooping last night. I went through EVERY pic here and on the old forum.

There are THREE different upper link mounts available (yes guys, 3, for sure). One is the tall one that you have, which measures 80 mm overall height. It is referred to as the After Market Upper Link Mount (AM ULM). Another is the same as what's on my bike, which measures 67 mm in overall height and is referred to as the Original Equipment UML (OE ULM). And the third (as i'm sure some are saying "what are you talking about?!") is for the carbon bikes. They have THE shortest one of all. I have no idea what the overall height is, but it's not that important at this point. Look in my sig and use the link to go see what it looks like and have a better idea of what i'm talking about.

I'm sure if you use the same ULM that I have you'll be able to use spacers to make up the difference...... and trim down your steerer tube to a more suitable length.

I'll go add the link to my sig now..... btw, roughly, where are you located?

EDIT - does anyone have a link or can e-maila  copy of the COMPLETE page of the pdf file for this???? I can't find a COMPLETE page. It would really help here.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:22:42 am by frankd3000 »
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 06:31:32 am »
Thanks Frank for all this help!

I just measured the Elite forks against my Forks on my Beast,which I believe is a medium and they look exactly the same dimensions. How do you get to your "sig" so I can make sure I've got the correct measurements? I just dont understand ho this can be made to fit such a small frame,wouldn't the shock be too long?
If it is just a simple upper link change then I wonder if K2 would have the spares? I think I might mail them.

I'm in a place called Sutton Coldfield on the UK, its near Birmingham.

Oh and sorry to keep calling you Frank, is it actually Andrew?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 06:36:24 am by kneedowndean »

seanzzo

• Apprentice
  • I luv my 855   All 245 lbs of Me! LOL
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 06:46:13 am »
kneedowndean can i ask what's the diferance between your beast and my 855???
95 PROFLEX 855
Former member 855 Heads
2003 rock hopper sport(my brother gave it to me)
http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=seanzzo

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 06:56:59 am »
Hey Seanzzo,

As far as I can tell from the pics the bikes look like they have exactly the same Frame. I have changed the Shocks on mine to Noleen NR2's which absolutly  transformed the ride. The next big change came in 1997 when they moved the pivot.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 06:57:54 am by kneedowndean »

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 09:54:22 am »
Frank is fine - it's the username, so it works. Andrew is cool, too.

Sig - just click on the "Link to my Gallery" in my SIGnature. You can see pics of my ride and compare againts what you have. Not very important, but you can better understand things. You'll want to pay most attention to my ULM, and how it differs from yours. The difference in height (again, not necessarily pivot location, but it does happen too) is 13 mm. This means you'll end up LOWERING the ULM by 13 mm.

As for your dilemma - the ULM is where the majority of your situation lies. With a shorter ULM you effectively shorten the height of the MOUNT (not necessarily it's pivot LOCATION). This means that you can actually put a stem on it. You'll still need some spacers to make up the difference of height, but you'll at least be able to put it together and your missus can ride safely. There should be no need for you to change the shock - unless it's for quality/upgrade reasons.

Take a look at my pics and compare your shock length to mine. Notice how much extra material there is underneath the shock? The i2i on Noleen/Way Big combo's is 11.75" (!!!!!). It's a pogo-stick.

I'm going to look here and see if I can find that pdf file for you. The Search is a bit difficult to work with here, so i'll have to do it manually. I'll be back....
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 10:02:53 am »
Thanks to Colin! (and you have a P.M.)

http://idriders.com/proflex/files/crosslinkinstall.2.jpeg

Open that up and have a look. I'm trying to find the complete page, but it's proving difficult. Nevermind the Chubby stuff, obviously. You'll want to focus on the difference in height (80 versus 67 mm) between the ULM's. THAT is the key to your solution. Find one, swap it, assemble it with the appropriate spacers and you're done.

Anyone wanna back me up here? Make sure i'm not just imagining things before Steve spends more money? I'm pretty confident i'm correct.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 11:31:18 am »
I measured the ULM and its a Original Equipment ULM(see the pic I uploaded. The overall height of the head tube on the Zaskar including the headset is 110mm.As far as I can tell on that sheet there is not an ULM suitable for this size.What do you reckon?

I mailed K2 but I'm not sure how helpful they are gonna be.I dont even know how long it will take for them to answer.

What do you think? A lost cause?

Also since reading that sheet I reckon that whoever had these forks before cut the headtube down,so if I stuck to the critical measurement of 153mm then I would only have about 3cm of headtube out the top. The plot thickens it seems.

So if I cant get them to fit my girls bike and basically they are unsaleable as they are due to the short headtube i need to source a new headtube before I can sell them,unless I just stick them on my bike if the headtube off my Vectors works with them.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 11:56:58 am by kneedowndean »