Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 07:49:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12
12 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?  (Read 88114 times)

Gee3

• Novice
Re: How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:07 pm »
I'm new to the whole ProFlex deal...  I honestly didn't know anything about them until my cousin let me borrow his last winter.  It's an older Proflex 5000, maybe '98-ish?  It's yellowand has the carbon swing arm with older XTR gruppo and Hayes front disc brakes.  It also has a Chris King rear Hub and Easton carbon seat post and Monkey Lite handlebar.  I believe the original fork was replaced with the Rock Shox Judy XC suspension fork.

Everything's in really good shape for an older bike.  Only some minor scrapes on the components and paint.  The suspension spring is starting to rust so I'd like to replace that but have no clue where to get a new one. So if you know, please PM me.  :)  The plastic part covering the LED lights and buttons on the Smart Shoc unit is peeling off a bit so if there is a place that sells replacement ones also please PM me as I'd like to get it changed out.  Simply for cosmetic purposes...

It's pretty much the way my cousin built it up back in the late 90's and except for some caked on dirt i have since cleaned off it's good to go!  In fact, he's already offered to sell it to me.  So I'll be the new owner of it really soon!

And although I'm a road biker I do still like to jump on the mountain bike because it really kicks my butt!  However, it also improves my climbing and handling ability on the road bike!  Plus, it's nice to change up once in a while.  But after a couple short trail rides I have gained a much bigger respect for mountain bikers!  No wonder converted mt bikers are dso good at climbing on road bikes! 

So I hope to be able to post more in the near future as prior to this I've been most a lurker learning and reading!  I hope to be able to learn a lot more form you folks since I like to do my own maintenance on the bikes.

TTYL,
Gary

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:21 am »
I'm new to the whole ProFlex deal...  I honestly didn't know anything about them until my cousin let me borrow his last winter.  It's an older Proflex 5000, maybe '98-ish? 
Welcome Gary....enjoy yourself...
ps 98 aint old (for us)
kiwi proflex rider

mrjustin007

• Novice
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »
I have an 856 (way big) noleen shocks, XT 9 speed upgrade, bought new in 1997. Been ridden by me in Arizona, until April of this year, now proudly prowling the wasatch front.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2008, 01:36:50 pm »
any pics - not often we see a Way Big 856...
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

mrjustin007

• Novice
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2008, 02:11:42 pm »
I do, but its a crappy camera phone shot.

ps - I also have a 91 DB axis SS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2008, 09:30:30 am »
I do, but its a crappy camera phone shot.

ps - I also have a 91 DB axis SS
Welcome Justin,

Have not seen many Waybig 856.

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

antmav

• Novice
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2009, 02:00:05 pm »
Bought my first Proflex in 1996.  I was five years out of college, was finally making some $$$ so I sprung for an 856.  This was my first full suspension rig.  Sweet bike, sweet experience, sweet riding. 

Recently, I found a never used, brand new, Proflex 856, in the basement of my LBS.  I talked the owner into selling to me.  He only charged me $400!!!!!!!!!!!  XT v-brakes, grip shift, gore cables, xt front, xtr rear.  Incredible.  It almost looks like a titanium frame.  I love it.  I will certainly ride it, but only once in a while.

I also have an old 656 that I converted into a Singlespeed.  Sweet bilke.

Anthony
Proflex 856- Brand New, never ridden
Proflex 656- Converted to Singlespeed
Two Proflex 854's (one singlespeed)
Gary Fisher Rig 29'er Singlespeed
Jamis XAM
Sinister R9-Downhill rig
Sinister DNA

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:21 pm »

Recently, I found a never used, brand new, Proflex 856, in the basement of my LBS.  I talked the owner into selling to me.  He only charged me $400!!!!!!!!!!!  XT v-brakes, grip shift, gore cables, xt front, xtr rear.  Incredible.  It almost looks like a titanium frame.  I love it.  I will certainly ride it, but only once in a while.

Anthony
Sweet!
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

The Mont

• Novice
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2009, 12:45:05 pm »
Bought my first Proflex in 1996.  I was five years out of college, was finally making some $$$ so I sprung for an 856.  This was my first full suspension rig.  Sweet bike, sweet experience, sweet riding. 

Anthony

Those your bits on E-Bay Anthony ?
Monty

antmav

• Novice
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2009, 05:27:56 pm »
Yes,
I had an NOS xtr shifter brake combo........get this it also has a flight deck set-up.  hahahaha

Anthony

Those your bits on E-Bay Anthony ?
Proflex 856- Brand New, never ridden
Proflex 656- Converted to Singlespeed
Two Proflex 854's (one singlespeed)
Gary Fisher Rig 29'er Singlespeed
Jamis XAM
Sinister R9-Downhill rig
Sinister DNA

adm

• Novice
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2009, 11:56:30 am »
rode a silver 96' 856 for the longest time without knowing its proper lineage - was a hand-me-down from my grandfather, an avid MTB racer in the early days.

loving the stripped bare simplistic feel of the 856, as well as the rigidity of the vector linkage fork - i yearned rarely for something of the newer varietal. and resigned my vintage preference to something of an oddity - at the time, unknowing to the existence of such fine enthusiasts as yourself.

i shelved that 856 when the front elastomers had finally bought the farm.... and proceeded to pick up road cycling for a few years...
though having grown incredibly hungry for the backwoods technicality and thrill of the trail i've just recently decided to refurbish my 856 for the upcoming season!
luckily i've got a decent shape NR2 coil setup on the rear and with the recent fitting of a "Rapid Descent Scotland COR spring" unit to the front ODS shock this 856 is just a few short strokes away from the trails.

i'm picking up a replacement rear swingarm from the user "mizunole" to replace mine in of which i discovered a small stress fracture, near the end of the arm where it joins to the frame.

all thats left is a general tune up and fitting of some new components... i seriously can't wait to get this thing going again!

is there a set of components that work exceptionally well with the 856? in anybody's experience?
whats the consensus on hydraulic drum brakes on these bikes like those manufactured by magura?

happy to find myself among fellow contemporaries.  ;)

-adm

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:04 pm »
welcome :)

Magura brakes are fantastic - fit and forget (though a bit fiddly to fit in the first place).

As for other kit - most anything will do ;)
'95 855

Capricorn

• Novice
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2009, 03:34:48 am »
Hello K2 / Proflex Riders,

I'm newbie on this forum. After seriously crashing myself on a rental MTB I bought my Proflex 857 in 2002 as my first mountainbike. It was love on first sight and never stopped loving it since. Everytime I ride it, sometimes competing with the even latest XC bikes, my competitors (and I) are amazed how fast and agile the Proflex still is. In search for a ltrue and worthy (longer travel) successor for my Proflex I have tested many new bikes the last 2 years. OK, I must be biased but IMO only the new Epic S-Works really outperforms the 857. The ridiculous €6,600 price tag of the Epic shows what it takes to beat a 12 year old Proflex ;-). I will keep my 857 for ever!

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2009, 09:40:43 am »
good to hear ;)
'95 855

btchris

• Novice
  • head gurner rides again
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
went to see tel and mrs tel about three weeks ago for a ride in the mountains around chatham on my trusty emelle tel told me of an 857 he was selling, thought id have a look out of interest, so the following week went to see tel and out came the 857 and and wow what a look very impressive,so terry says would i like to have a go on it so i grabbed it and nearling threw it into orbit it was so light compaired to the emelle and that was it had to have it ,been out on it every day since had three punctures lost most of the skin on my shin to the peddle via a wet tree root never been so happy . took the old girl to the cycle shop for a new crank to be fitted the bloke in the shop dropped the customer he was serving like a bad habbit and came out to check out the proflex he went to get his son out the back to come and have a look and they both dribbled over it although i must admit i did feel something of a fraud as id only had the bike three days, but this is a testament to mr and mrs tel <the bike slayer>  as they have kept the bike in such good condition it goes up it goes down i bloody love it sorry tel but you cant have it back
many a mickle make a muckle