Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:43:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9
9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?  (Read 86727 times)

jinder

• Master
How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?
« on: February 14, 2005, 09:25:32 am »
Hey guys...

How long have you guys ridden your Pro-Flex?  When did you first hear about them and how much bikes have you owned (Pro-Flex bikes that is).  

As for me...I been a massive fan since 1996 when I first saw the 756 and 856 at a Bike store in London Ontario.  I had a 856 in 1997 for a few weeks...I was in LOVE with the bike.  In Dec of 2004 I bought a 957 (as you all know) - my fav bikes of all time - I love it!  I know there are new bikes out there that are better than my 957...but I really don't care...I love everything about my 9...its the old inner Jinder reaching out to my youth... [smiley=nod.gif]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:39:03 pm by kiwi »
Beast

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Re: How long have you ridden Pro-Flex?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 12:35:07 pm »
Hi,
I remember reading about Girvin/Proflex bikes for years.  I started out in the days when pretty much everything was rigid. The year after I bought my first bike (now my tourer), I remember seeing suspension forks. I almost bought a Girvin flexstem back in the day.

Then...I was reading a mag and I saw a pic of the then K2 5500/Oz. Man, I was hooked. too bad it was soooo expensive. This must have been in 1999. I don't remember exactly when, but I do remember hunting them down for a while, hoping the price would drop. Then, one day in 2001 or so, maybe 2000, I noticed a frameset on ebay. so, I thought about it. I was lucky enough that I didn't delay too long (which is what I normally do), and was able to get one. It was one of the last ones that ediscountbike.com had.

Then,during the year or so it took for me to get all the parts and the paint job sorted out, I found this website, and man, what a huge help its been.

anyway, that's my K2 story. Of course, I'm leaving out the part where I turned a mongoose frame (ebay for 60 bucks) into a front susp. mtb with a xlink, in the days when I thought the xlink was the best thing going. now, that bike is dead (anyway want to buy the frame?) and I am totally into carbon and slider forks.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 12:41:33 pm »
I had a roommate with an 856 back in the day (1996). It squeaked like crazy, but rode so smoothly that it was amazing to behold. He won some pretty big races in the west on that bike. I got a MtnTek hardtail about the same time (All STX components) - my first MTB. Didn't make the switch to full suspension until 2000 - the summer before I got married. I was set on building up a Jamis Dakar frame, but borrowed my future father-in-law's 98 5000 one day and was convinced it was the better ride. Supergo happened to have the same frame on clearance for $400, and the rest is history. Unfortunately, just a month later, Ediscountbike dumped a bunch of all-carbon frames for $500, which I certainly would have gone for, but I can't say I've had any other regrets...

Bought a second, matching 5000 on ebay in 2001 for my wife. XTR drivetrain, race face LP cranks, Mavic Crosslink wheels, etc for $450 on ebay. A screaming deal at the time (and still not bad!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jinder

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 01:29:54 pm »
AWESOME STORYS.... come one guys... everyone now.. :)
Beast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 05:00:05 pm »
ok around xmas 1995 i rode a freinds diamond back hardtail(mostly xt equipped}.It was SO much nicer than my old giant sedona rigid.I started looking and soon realised i could buy an xt hardtail or a FS lx quality bike.About that time  I read a mba shoot out test of FS bikes and a proflex 656 was the champ(under 1000 fs bikes????).So i came to look at proflex,s and that shiny girvin fork had me hooked.Decided to up the ante and get a 756 as it looked more upgradeable(i was right for once)So in about march or April 1996 I shelled out 2500 nz dollars and ....................
kiwi proflex rider

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 08:31:07 pm »
In 1995 I got rid of my trusty cromoly Diamback hardtale and purchased my first dually, a 955. I bought frame only and had it equiped with a mix of LX, XT and had manitou comp forks put on instead of the girvins. Late last year the 955 finally got the girvins it always deserved when I picked up a set of carbon crosslinks.

In mid 1996 I picked up an 855 and had it spec'd exactly the same. This frame cracked recently.

Both these frames always had a terrible groaning sound however I recently did an overhaul of the 955 pivots and now it is smoother and quieter than ever.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:49:22 am »
Also in 1995, a friend begged me to go riding with him. I bought a diamondback and rode, and crashed, and bled.

Then riding at a spot called "The Toilet Bowl" I saw these 2 guys unload the ugliest bikes I ever saw. Ugly yes, but thier 955s were fast and agile, with yellow sponges for springs. No way I said to myself.

Then in 1997 I saw the 957 in a bike mag and went mad. That shiny thing was gorgeous,and went to buy one new. No luck, sold out. So I bought a Proflex beast. Best thing I ever did.

When the 4500 and 5500 came out I went nuts again as I was a true Proflex worshiper. The price was out of my range and the Beast fit me well.

Then in 2001 Ediscount posted an ad in the mags for Oz framesets with fork for $799 and my ship had come in.

Sold the Beast and built it up with bike mag sale items. What fun and this rig performed beyond my wildest expectations. Best thing is that it is ever evolving and keeping up with the competion. Latest aquisition is a Evo that I got from SDmike. Cannibalised the Diamondback to outfit the Evo and wow.

Terry

Terry
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 03:06:35 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:57:20 am »
Well,  back in nineteen and ninety-seven,  I was happily riding my old Jamis Dakota rigid up one of our long punishing cow hoofed pocked Bay Area fire roads,  when two guys on Gary Fisher Joshuas floated by.  Joking about my biopace ringed jackhammer, they suggested that I get something more up to date.(pricks)  Anyway,  I took the Jamis in to my LBS for a tuneup when I saw one of Joshuas on the floor.  I took it for a parking lot spin.  Kinda sucked.  Compared to a rigid, it felt like a hobby horse.

I broused around some more and then I saw it (angels singing) A matt blue 756 with yellow lettering and polished Girvin fork.  After a test spin I was hooked.  I would come back an visit it for a few weeks;  at $1200 bucks it was forbidden love.   On another visit the Proflex team truck was delivering new coil over 856's and my 756 was nowhere to be seen.  It had been moved into an obscure corner along with other "last year's" models.  On that day the shop owner offered me the bike for $900 out the door.  I lit off my Mastercard and grinned for the rest of the year.  Then I saw it (angels again)  a carbon fiber 5500.  $4000?  The shop folded and I wouldn't see another until Supergo, and later Ediscountbike,  started blowing out the frames.  

My stable now includes two Carbons, an Evo, and a pristine blue 855 that I picked up from a guy that didn't ride it.  I haven't ridden it either, for that matter, but just looking at a "new" world cup frame all original spec., complete with sticker from the now defunct bike shop is almost like coming home again.  

I have ridden many bikes with fancy shocks and pivots, but none feel right and bring out my best like the Proflex/K2s.

will

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 03:56:35 am »
February 1995...

Had destroyed "woodsbikes" from Trek and Bianchi in the 80's and early 90's when I ran across a Proflex dealer. He convinced me that a 455 would be a "raceable" bike perfect for a guy like me.

Neither I nor the bike turned out to be raceable, but it sure could take a beating. I sold it off for a Schwinn S-20 that turned out to be just another pretty face.  [smiley=turtle.gif]

The S-20 has moved on to the land of purple anodized CNC machined cantilever brakes.  [smiley=disbelief.gif]

The 455 was sold off to a guy who wouldn't sell it back for $400! (Smart feller!)  [smiley=groucho.gif]

Anyhow, I got fired up on this website last year and snagged a thashed out 856 frame. Been building it up ever since.

The 3 best things about the 855?  [smiley=nod.gif]
1. When climbing the rear end hooks up like it has chains on the tires.
2. My Crosslink ELT is so sweet. Plush-o-rama.
3. It just looks bad-to-the-bone. Sheez, just look at the gallery shots of these bikes.

Vexableman

• Novice
  • Vexableman where are you?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:45:45 am »
In 1995 my Bro turned me on to Pro Flex.  We liked them so much we both bought new 855's.  At the time I also purchased a 254 for me a 253 for a friend in North Carolina. The 855 is gone (I know where it is though, dusty in a friends garage). The 253 is in NC and is dusty in her garage. I still have the 254 and along the way I grabbed an 854 for fun.  See them in my gallary. The 854 frame will be on ebay soon. Check out the 254 city cruiser. I see nothing like it on the city streets.  

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=vexableman
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 10:53:04 am by vexableman »
Vexableman

loaded

• Journeyman
  • proflex 4000
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 11:00:30 am »
Rode a ridgid specialized rockhopper from '94-'00.  Then I left New Zealand for the great red land of Australia.  Stuck in Melbourne with no wheels I spotted a Proflex 955 world cup in the Tradingpost magazine- a bike I had never head of or seen before!!!
After bartering with the mad englishman who was selling it got it down to my budget of AU$500, plus it was really shiny so I couldn't resist!!!!

After that I discovered this website downloaded all the specs and info I could & rapidly upgraded to a proflex 4000 that I bought off a ski instructor returning from mammoth mountain in Cali (she's now a good riding buddy!) [smiley=laughing.gif]

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 01:52:30 pm »
October of 1997.

I was looking for a new bike as my Nana had left me a little pin money. At the time I was riding a Specialized Rockhopper (rigid) with toe-clips. Went into the bike shop and tried some hard tails and then spotted some awesome looking full suspension bikes (Pro~Flex 857's and a few 957's...even a grape colored one!) I tried one red large 857 and the rest is history. Went clipless, bought some riding gear, the whole nine yards. I thought I was sooooo cool.. 8).and I was! [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]

forgot to mention, too, that I knew NOTHING about the bike...Girvin, ...nothing.  :o the shop owner said it was a "bike of the year". [smiley=yawn.gif]..after that test ride....even after a few blown shocks, a couple of cracked cranks and a headset that disintigrated like a Mission Impossible story.....I was still in love with that bike....she's more of a gray mare to me now, but she has expereince..and some of the sweetest memories I could have...on and off

[smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 12:04:06 pm by carbon_angus »

jinder

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 11:52:14 pm »
 Wow....  I really enjoyed your stories...  looks like we all started more or less in the same way.  Proflex is a magical name for me, as it is for all you too.

I am sure there are more personal stories to come...

RIGHT ON!   :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 09:55:19 am by jinder »
Beast

fs_01

• Novice
  • proflex for ever
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 03:20:23 am »
Hello

I am a little old... i am 43 years old
so i enjoyed riding very much and about when i was 21 years old i prefered motocycles and cars, i think it's normal...
When i was 29 years ols i made some races with go-kart that i apreciate very much, but after some years i discovered that it is very expensive. So it cames the old passion of riding a bike.. now the bikes are very different and apears in Portugal the MTB profile.
I bought a rigid Bianchi Boulder, nto expensive but ok to begin..
One day on 1998 one frend of mine tell me if i want to buy one Proflex 856 ...with full suspention... i was dreeming...
ok i bought and now it's my wife's bike...but sometimes i ride it...
Last year i bought one in very good look too Proflex 857 with styckers of 959....
I am very proud and very happy with these two bikes.
nowadays i see the prices of the new bikes and when i'am riding i don't see diference with the others bikes...
The important is our passion for the things and make all the things that we love.....

Fernando
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 03:21:05 am by fs_01 »

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 06:05:09 am »
I saw my first Pro flex in 1988 or 89?  They were called Offroads.  It had the Girvin flex stem and an elastomer stack on the back.  The salesman tried to sell me one, but I just laughed at his vector presentation.  Amazingly about 2 years ago I crossed paths with an older biker riding one similar to this model!  
My first ProFlex.
I purchased a used 953 in 1994.  First impression: smooth ride and the rear tire stuck so much better on rough and rocky climbs compared to my hard tail.  You can see a picture of it in my gallery (The Old Gray Mare).    

Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame