Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 12:14:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50
50 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?  (Read 103146 times)

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: How long have you ridden Pro-Flex? Stickied !!
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2007, 07:58:29 am »
yes I was wondering about the spring too
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

derick2806

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2007, 12:00:06 pm »
Actually it came with an elastomer for the rear. Maybe, few years ago it got broken. Here, elastomers are very rare, so the shop gave me a spring.

The spring works really good and quite comfortable.

So it's from 1992 then.......

Does Proflex have a website???

As a fellow proflex owner, I really need an advise here, you think I should upgrade it with the latest parts or should I just get it back to standard.....please help me ?????????

Regards,
Ricky
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:10:05 pm by derick2806 »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2007, 12:11:10 pm »

Does Proflex have a website???

As a fellow proflex owner, I really need an advise here, you think I should upgrade it with the latest parts or should I just get it back to standard.....please help me ???
Regards,
Ricky

If it were my bike, I would secure another bike, and restore to original, but that is just me. The wow factor is precious on some rides. Your model is becomeing more desirable of late, Especially one in such good shape as yours.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:47:12 pm by kiwi »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

derick2806

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2007, 12:02:56 am »
[

As a fellow proflex owner, I really need an advise here, you think I should upgrade it with the latest parts or should I just get it back to standard.....please help me ?????????

Regards,
RickyIf it were my bike, I would secure another bike, and restore to original, but that is just me. The wow factor is precious on some rides. Your model is becomeing more desirable of late, Especially one in such good shape as yours.

Thanks........for you're advise. I'll think about it. In my country, here, they don't know what is proflex bike.....so they not give much appreciation, not like in this forum.

Regards,
Ricky

stealib

• Novice
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2007, 07:29:02 am »
I started off on a Diamond back Topanga back in 92-93, I lived in south wales at the time so did loads of margam park and the valleys, I first saw a proflex in 97, owned by a friend a 455, I had to have it, it was half the weight of my steel steed so goodbye diamond back, hello 455, I have looked after it really well and have just parted company to one of my friends with the promise that he will look after it, it still has the black girvin etchings on the bar ends! I bought a 656 off ebay last year for £120 after someone bought it the week before for £175, I was gutted as I had bidded it up to £150, he decided a week later that did not want it, and relisted it, got it at the second attempt for £50 less! I have just got it sorted and use it 3 times a week, I am testing elastomers for callum at RDS I now want a 856 for a project, but don't tell the wife!
proflex 656 vector 2 non-ODS,
proflex 455

labriecole

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2007, 01:14:20 pm »
Hi,i bought my proflex 853 generation 4 in 1992 or 1993 bran new ,and i still have it and it,s in good shape exepte the elastomere .But what a good bike for that year,no probleme whith the rear suspension and my front Girvin pro fork whith 4'' of travel.I'm still in love whith my bike and i still riding it.And i wouldlt like to show you my bike but i dont how to put a picture in .thanks

av98

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2007, 07:39:36 am »
Hello all,

Newbie to this forum but it's an awesome find.

Well here goes my story, I got my Proflex 857 from Ebay in early 99.  I got it from a guy in Hawaii who threw in an NR-4 shock for about $850.  It came with the full XT component gruppo and the standard equip. The only thing it didn't have were pedals which are fine since I replaced em with pedal/spd m-4xx series from Shimano.  I rode consistently once a week for about 2 straight years then once a month for another 2.  Then sparingly for the next 2 years.  I must say after trying my friends other dualies that I still love my 857 over all of them (FSR XC, Heckler, Superlite, Blur, Fuel).  The others are lighter, newer, more suspension travel but there's always that little something that just doesn't seem quite right.  The Superlite & Blur seem the closest to best but again I don't ride enough to justify the cost.

A little background on why I decided on Proflex & mountain bike history.  I had test ridden the 855/856/857/955/956/957 Proflex bikes when they first came out in 95-97 but could not afford them at the time.  I loved the suspension and the ride feel plus the components that Proflex offered.  Eventually, I ended up settling on a GT RTS-3; which is one of the first great DH bikes but not great at XC.  It definitely taught me how to respect climbing in a different way.  My first bike was an unsuspended Trek 830 which is the most no frills bottom of the line mountain bike for trails you can get in the late 80s early 90s.  After a month I broke the rear derailleur; but thank god, it was covered by the bike shop.  Anyways, I must say unsuspended is the best way to learn how to really ride you bike properly especially with body control.  Eventually upgraded to front suspension; the early Rock Shox but that only lasted 1 year till I donated mry bike.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I'm 2 1/2 years removed from riding after getting married and becoming a dad.  However, I am getting back into riding because my wife and son are getting back into it.  I look forward to the fun times to start again.  :)

purple gerbil

• Master
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2007, 10:06:44 am »
hi folks                                                                 im new to forums so please be gentle. anyhow here it goes just rekindled my love of pro-flex after 12 long years and got my self an old 862 (1992) built it up myself with almost all deore with avid brakeset and magura quake air shocks. however im abit peeved off as i cant find any rear elastomers apart from those at rapid descent of which are to hard even the soft kit. anyway ive had afew offroad cycles as i lived 100 yards from ultrasport uk and knew some employees so got myself probably the 1st vector forks 2 go on sale in the uk after test riding the demo bikes. so my first offroad was a pro-am (rigid). 2nd pro-flex 552 with vector fork. 3rd was 12" master (rigid) which belonged to jez avery after he attempted world record for most bunnyhops in a set amount of time. 4th is my present ride 862 which im trying 2 sort out the rear end as new elastomers dont do it any justice. please does anyone have the yellow ones help me please......
THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.

dan_irby

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2007, 10:32:55 am »
Since 1988. I bought an "OffRoad" mountainbike. Saw the literature in '89 regarding the "flexstem" and bought it. Owned that, a 756, an 857 and still own a '99 EVO that I have up for sale....but don't mind if I don't sell. Dan Irby

jeffgothro

• Apprentice
  • Trail Slayer
How I came to be a proflex owner
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2008, 02:27:11 am »
I spose I should introduce myself, I'm not new to K2/Proflex but I am new to this forum. My name is Jeff and I thought it would be cool to tell you all the story behind how I became a Proflex owner/rider. (the short version)

I knew about these, a couple local shops carried them, the first one I ever saw was a rigid or traditional looking frame with a small bumper on the back, I dont think it had a front shock, it had a suspention stem instead. Fast forward a few years. A local small high performance bike shop carried them...they had the 856 style frame like the one I own now. At first I thought they were sorta ugly, overbuilt, and quite honestly I hated bikes with any suspention...I was one of those hard core HT guys like Tinker Juarez. But, as fate would have it slowly the bike began to growe on me and I seem to like it more and more when I visited my bike shop and kept seeing it there. Well...I walked in the shop one day and just rolled out brand new on the showroom was a gorgious red Proflex Animal, I fell in love instantly, with its HED wheels, Magura brakes, spring shoks, this thing just looked mean, it looked like some sort of wild crazy animal just like the name implys. Fast forward a few more years 2001 I believe. I found an 856 in a pawn shop for 400 and snatched it up. Fast forward a couple more years. Well, I ran into hard times and had to let her go, but it was my first and favorite fully I ever owned and I vowed if I ever got a chance to get another one I would and thats just what I did. Last thursday arived at my door an 856 in near new condition that I got on ebay. I look forward to riding it and having alot of fun. I'm really glad there is a forum specifically for this bike, I look forward to meeting you all and getting to know you, thanks.

-Jeff

(I have way to much time on my hands...lol)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:33:16 am by jeffgothro »
Proflex 856 XC
Ironhorse Yakuza DJ

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: How I came to be a proflex owner
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2008, 10:43:04 am »
nice story! There's loads of knowledge and expertise here, and a mix of people from both sides of the pond. Welcome! At one point I had 4 Proflexes, but I'm down to two currently - an 855 (virtually identical to your 856) and a 753.
'95 855

jeffgothro

• Apprentice
  • Trail Slayer
Re: How I came to be a proflex owner
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
Thank you sir...yeah, I will be watching ebay for spare bike/parts/frames...I just saw a titanium spring on there thats supposed to fit proflex, its gone, I guess it sold...I have no use anyway, I'm not a weight weenie. I just posted a proflex in the sale thread from ebay....wish I could afford to get it...if I could I prolly would have kept my mouth shut  :P
Proflex 856 XC
Ironhorse Yakuza DJ

Akagi

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2008, 12:56:09 pm »
I don't think that spring would have worekd with your bike anyways. its 475 pounds.

Hmm. what size do you guys think this is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Proflex-754-Moutain-Bike-NR_W0QQitemZ170240270390QQihZ007QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2008, 01:34:19 pm »
looks about 18/19"
'95 855

bike kid

• Novice
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:01 pm »
I was just looking for a full suspension xc mountain bike to replace my Schwinn moab, and the k2 razorback was the bike I found. It was reasonably priced, light, and had good components. What not to love?  I have only had my k2 for about 6 months, and love it! It was just the kind of bike that I was looking for, so far I have only had trouble with the shock seals, but with a little cleaning it turned out fine. The k2 razorback is the perfect bike for me!
Dx^3:) olgf