Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 06:22:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23
23 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Astro 5 installation on 856  (Read 5000 times)

Bnystrom

• Novice
Astro 5 installation on 856
« on: May 11, 2004, 01:00:57 pm »
I just got an Astro 5 from Bill, but it came without any instructions or mounting hardware. Unlike the previous shocks I've had on the bike that pivoted on the top bushing, the bushing in the Astro 5 is fixed in the body. I'm assuming that this means that I've got to leave the upper mounting bolt loose enough to allow it to pivot and rely on Loctite to hold it in place. Is this correct?

I didn't get a Freedom Plate with the shock and have emailed Bill about it. Does the FP come with a longer mounting bolt? Currently, I'm using a makeshift spacer to fill the tapered recess in the strut and I scrounged up a 30mm long bolt. I'd really rather have a 40mm bolt, but haven't been able to locate one locally.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 09:27:08 pm by kiwi »
Regards

Brian

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Astro 5 installation on 856
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:29:31 pm »
Something is wrong here. You should NEVER leave a shock bolt loose! I'm not familiar with the x56 series bikes, but you definitely need the freedom plate adaptor for the 856 (according to those in the know on this forum). Don't ride it until you get one!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:32:26 pm by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Bnystrom

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 12:26:39 am »
Something is wrong here. You should NEVER leave a shock bolt loose! I'm not familiar with the x56 series bikes, but you definitely need the freedom plate adaptor for the 856 (according to those in the know on this forum). Don't ride it until you get one!

Well, I wondered about the bolt. I've tried the shock with the bolt tightened and it works, since there's not that much angular movement in the 856 suspension. My concern is that what movement there is will create a load on the shock body if it can't pivot.

As for the Freedom Plate, I plan to get one. In the interim, I've filled the recess in the strut with shims, level with the top surface. There's plenty of surface area and support for the mounting bolt, so I'm not concerned about a malfunction or failure while waiting for the FP.
Regards

Brian

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 03:52:58 am »
My Genesis is the same.  I don't tighten the upper shock bolt as tight as I normally would an M6 bolt.  I use locktite.  Manto is probably right though,  this does not seem like a good idea.  I check it VERY often and I put grease between the shock and frame interface (just don't get it on the threads because it will contaminate the locktite!).  I was thinking of removing the threaded boss from the frame and using a locking nylon and aluminum nut instead.  I haven't gotten to that yet though.

If you can find an 855 strut, use that.  They are a lot lighter and you will not need the freedom plate.

If you can't find a proper bolt, let me know and I'll get one for you this Friday and ship it to you.

Cheers,
Trevor   [smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 03:55:34 am by tmaybee »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:57:17 am »

Well, I wondered about the bolt. I've tried the shock with the bolt tightened and it works, since there's not that much angular movement in the 856 suspension. My concern is that what movement there is will create a load on the shock body if it can't pivot.

This sound really bad,a bolt is used for clamping pressure not to be used as a bearing taking shear forces,and having it tight will surely cause premature shock wear,it may work but no way would I do it,try contacting risse ask them about it ???,alternately could not the shock eye be machined out,reduce the eye width slightly and fit a correct width and diameter bearing/sleeve,could all be accomplished at a local machine shop ??? just athought.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Bnystrom

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 12:30:48 am »
See my new post on the subject  here for complete details.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 09:01:29 pm by kiwi »
Regards

Brian

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 09:16:56 pm »
hey brian i included a link to your post and archived it in our files sectoion as well
Thanks for that
kiwi proflex rider

Bnystrom

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 11:32:54 am »
hey brian i included a link to your post and archived it in our files sectoion as well

Thanks for that

Glad to help. My Freedom Plate should arrive tomorrow and I'll update the post with any interesting details.

BTW, there are a couple of typos in the original post, but I entered it without logging in and I can't edit it ("Guests" can't edit posts). Would you mind reading it over and fixing them? Having typos in my posts really bugs me.  [smiley=blankstare.gif]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 11:39:43 am by Bnystrom »
Regards

Brian

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 09:28:02 pm »
i could only find a missing i in prevous  :)
kiwi proflex rider

Bnystrom

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 11:00:46 pm »
i could only find a missing i in prevous  :)

"Standard" is misspelled in the last paragraph:

Here's the scoop on the Freedom Plate:

When it arrived, I was surprised to discover that it doesn't fill the tapered hole in the strut, but spans it. Considering this, I'm not so sure that it's absolutely necessary. It the 856 strut needs the FP, why doesn't the similarly shaped 855 strut? The FP does provide increased support for the shock in the vertical plane, but the 855 strut would benefit from this too. Regardless, it's well made and it comes with the bolt needed to mount the shock securely. When I installed mine, I left the spacers I used to fill the recess in the strut in place.

I also purchased one of Risse's inflation adaptors. It works exactly as described - NO leaks. It's very similar to the Fox adapter that comes with many pumps and if your pump has one, you would only need the female side of the Risse adapter in order to use it. The Risse adapter is better than the Fox adapter that came with my Topeak pump in one regard; the bleed hole is drilled off-center so that it can't be plugged by the tip of the valve stem. Good thinking!

Can you add this to my other post on the Astro 5?
Regards

Brian

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 09:48:57 pm »
i can but i cant archive it as a coplete article,yje new improved version would be a seperate article
kiwi proflex rider

Bnystrom

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2004, 07:51:55 am »
i can but i cant archive it as a coplete article,yje new improved version would be a seperate article

Feel free to do whatever you think will make the information the most useful to people here and easiest to find.
Regards

Brian