Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:17:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Proflex 857- Cost Effective Rear Shock Replacement  (Read 6398 times)

Andy H

Proflex 857- Cost Effective Rear Shock Replacement
« on: May 01, 2004, 07:15:58 pm »
I have enjoyed my Proflex 857 for 5 years and the rear shock has finally broke.  I really like the  bike, but haven't been able to gather much information on what rear shocks are still available for the Proflex...  What are my options, and how much am I going to need to spend to get this bike going again?  

What advantages are there to getting an aftermarket shock and having the Noleen NR2 rebuilt?

Thanks in advance

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Proflex 857- Cost Effective Rear Shock Replace
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 05:56:32 am »
Most appear to upgrade to a Risse shock they also have the best range of shocks for the Proflex/K2 brand,another plus is they are a great shock with an excellent reputation,your best bet would be the air shock (Genesis),http://www.risseracing.com/
Others have fitted various makes of shock using a bit of ingenuity and making custom adaptors,however for a straight forward fit Risse are the best bet.
Its suggested retail is $198 U.S but with some shopping around and keeping an eyeout on ebay you may pick up a bargin,you could also post on here enquiring if anyone has a suitable shock for sale.

Simon.

856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Andy H

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 10:12:26 am »
I think I will likely go with the RISSE as it is the easiest.

If I find one on EBAY, do I need to make sure that it is specifically made for the 857...or is the Genesis already specifically for the 857...   I also read about an adapter plate, of which I am not sure what it would be for...  Is that also necessary with the RISSE GENESIS?

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 10:14:55 am »
Agree with Simon but...

Rebuild for less than a new one or even a used Risse. Also with a used Risse, it may or may not be valved right for your style. They custom valve the shocks at Risse so you may need to have them revalve it, also.

If you have time and a little more $$$ go with a Risse, otherwise enjoy the rebuilt Nr-2 and it probably not wank on you again for another five+ years.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Andy H

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 03:08:45 pm »
Is the best place to buy direct from the website?

Is there a cheaper place to obtain a Risse Shock?

Thanks..

I am pretty sure I am going to get the risse

Harv

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:33:58 am »
Just to elaborate on what Carbon Angus said.  If a Risse air shock is not valved correctly it can be very harsh, especially on that frame.  Hardtail like.  And it can take a number of trips to Risse to get it set up the way you want.

You can also get a Stratos Helix to fit the 857 but it's expensive and heavy.

For my money the NR-2/4 are the best shocks for the 857, particularly if you use a slightly lighter spring than normal spec.

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 03:48:37 am »
To Get a Risse shock, email Bill Larson.  Just do a search on this site for his contact info.

Trevor

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
Trevor's right-Bill always has the best price on a Risse not to mention a full lineup of parts in general at the same discount.  Contact him here:wlarson@stdairy.com
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Andy H

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 04:26:58 pm »
Thanks for the advice... I contacted bill and should have a shock on the way sometime this week.

Thanks..