Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:21:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Front V Rear shocks  (Read 4341 times)

deano

• Novice
  • J3.16
Front V Rear shocks
« on: August 18, 2003, 11:12:03 pm »
Guys this is a great forum. I have found it really helpfull in the last couple of weeks. As i am new to the word of muntain bikes i have a few questions. Hope they dont sound silly............
I have a proflex 855 world cup design. Is my bike better suited to down hill or cross country?. Is there a difference in how punishing each type of riding is. Does down hill riding involve jumping off coulpe of meter drops? etc.....
I plan to buy a Genesis and an Astro 5. The nest question involves whether or not I should put the better shock on the front or back? Isnt the front end subjected to greater forces than the rear. If so then prephaps the Astro 5 should be on the front(if it fits)
Dean  :)
DH

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Re: Front V Rear shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 01:18:02 am »
Dean,
I have a genesis for a crosslink fork that is brand new and never used. I have replaced my crosslink with a Fox fork so I will not be using the genesis.
If you are interested, please contact me.
Dennis
[smiley=groucho.gif]
btw, as far as I know the astro 5 will not fit on the front. also, the genesis and astro 5 are identical except for the fact that the astro 5 has adjustable dampening.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 01:19:12 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 03:51:55 am »
@ Dennis: quanta costa?

Jeroen.

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 07:27:23 am »
Hi Dean.  I have a Risse Genesis for a Vector 2 front fork.  It is in excellent condition.  Please email me if you are interested.  

tmaybee__@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Trevor

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 08:02:56 am »
Only the Genesis will fit on the front. In fact, as far as I know, nobody has successfully installed any other shock on a crosslink fork. Somebody correct me if you've tried others. The Astro5 won't fit according to Risse...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Rawwill

• Novice
  • proflex 997 DH
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 11:57:17 am »
for a proflex 855 i would say it would be a better fit as a Xc bike instead of Dh ...but you still be able to make it DH with a little creativty(it`s aluminium swingarm..to make it DH fix it so that the suspension mount directly to the swingarm ...i would say a stratos helix pro)and whole lot of money and time to spent...well i made my 857 into a downhill/XC hybrid.. about done until my ol' astro 5 leaks...might either had it rebuilt myself or sent it to risse...well..don`t have that much time to do it myself...aggh...ohh well..
JMSRW

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 02:58:38 pm »
forget about the crosslink fork....put your money on a telescopic fork. Just about every brand makes an excellent "all mountain" fork.  

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 01:43:14 am »
the crosslink is an excellent xc fork, great tracking and a standard 3" travel for xc.   i just needed to tune in some additional rebound damping for my tastes and once i did - love em, and they still turn heads.

for big hits, downhills, it's not particulary suited but basic fireroads, trailriding and general stuff - it's a timeless design and works great.  many manufacturers including look etc are recreating the idea as we sit and click.

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 09:33:12 pm »
the 855 is definetlya xc bike You can ride it dh but it will have serious suspension shortcomings  and you WILL break the frame eventually.I dont know if you still have the vector fork or not but if you do someone listsa risse shock for it,otherwise as pedro says get a telescopic .If you are determined to stay proflwex then look around for a crosslink.
kiwi proflex rider

deano

• Novice
  • J3.16
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 12:22:50 am »
I will post a pic of my bike as it is.

I think it is fitted with a Vector 2. Can anyone confirm that by looking at the picture ?

And now for a simple question.....Is a Vector 2 a crosslink type fork? I see from the teck archive that the crosslink came out in 98. Im a bit confused here....!!!

How much more travel does a crosslink offer compared to a Vector 2.

If my 855 is better suited to xc then i feel fitting an Astro 5 to the rear and a genesis to the front would be better suited to the frames design parameters.

I would be wiser to purchase a proper Dh set up at a later date.

Dean :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 07:49:03 pm by kiwi »
DH

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2003, 08:09:31 pm »
deano i took the liberty of correcting your link.You must use the Yabb version of html(all the buttons just above the emoticons or i think you can check a box below the message preview box and use html normally.You have a vector fork on the 855.The main difference(and maybe the only) is the vector two has a upper link mount that clamps onto the steerer,not attatched to the stem.The crosslink is a later model of the vector fork same idea but changed slightly to allow the use of noleen shocks.It came out in 97  and was again revised slightly in 98 to allow the use of the smartshock.The increase in travel prolly has more to do with the noleen and so called exteme seals rather than any redesign.The 97 crosslinks were still branded girvin and in 98 they were branded noleen.There is more but thats all for today!!!!

1997 757 with girvin crosslink note the upper shock mount is clamped to steerer tube and upper links also pivot of the ULM( upper link mount)
kiwi proflex rider

deano

• Novice
  • J3.16
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2003, 11:01:36 pm »
Thanks Kiwi,  thats clreared up alot of confusion for me!
I appreciate the leson in Yabb. The buttons were right there in front of me eyes it was late when i osted. So now  its down to crosslink versus telescopic....
Dean.
DH

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 02:12:24 am »
they had a vector al and a vector 2 - yours is the 2

i still have an original manual -

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

deano

• Novice
  • J3.16
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 11:58:16 am »
Is it possible to  flick me a copy of your manuel. I have searched and searched but cannot find one anywhere.............
Whats the differeence in travel aforded by a crosslink compared to fiting a Genesis?
dean.
DH

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 12:50:19 pm »
i was gonna argue with OP but as usual he is right.I thiught the vector two had the ULM rather than the stem mounted shock/link,but thats because i have a 756 which has a special vector two with ulm.The 856 etc bikes had a girvin vector AL the distinction being the ODS shock.
kiwi proflex rider