Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 02:20:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75
75 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Newb crankset question....  (Read 5123 times)

bayarearider

• Journeyman
Newb crankset question....
« on: August 17, 2003, 10:46:47 am »
Well i was checking my bike for chain stretch today and found out that the chain need's to be replaced.  I then check the chain ring and cassette.....middle chainring needs to be replaced and the small and big ring is gettin their also.  Well it's about 60 bucks for three new LX chain rings.

So i am contemplating whether or not to just upgrade my (98 LX Deore) crankset.  BTW Any of you selling cranksets or BB's?  

My question is i saw what seems to be a pretty good deal on price point for a Raceface prodigy XC crankset + BB, but the deal is only available in 9 speed.  I currently have a 8 speed setup, can i still run this BB and crankset?
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Newb crankset question....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 11:05:20 am »
a 2002 Deore XT/bb combo is good replacement/upgrade. if it's cheaper than what U are looking 4

[smiley=beer.gif]

you can run a 9 speed crank with an 8 speed rear. dunno if you need a diff front der. though
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 11:08:31 am by carbon_angus »

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 11:25:13 am »
I checked out the prices for the XT and it is around 100 for the crankset and probably about 20-30 for the UN73 BB.  

The raceface prodigy crankset is 109 + shipping which includes a raceface BB.

so not too much difference.

any of you have experience with either crankset?

and will i need a new derailer?
03 Razorback

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 11:38:12 am »
Running a 9 speed crankset on an 8 speed should be no problem.  I run LX Mega nine cranks with 8 speeds on 2 of my bikes.  Your front derraileur will work fine.  

jimbo

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 12:02:23 pm »
For the price of getting new rings, you can get one of these and you don't have to get a new BB.

http://www.chucksbikes.com/cr0111.htm

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 01:37:45 pm »
jimbo,

you ever order from them?

what model crankset is that?

one more question regarding fitment.

Since my BB is square tapered, can i use any square tapered crankset from any maufacurer?

will their be fitment issues?
03 Razorback

jimbo

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 08:48:27 pm »
jimbo,

you ever order from them?

what model crankset is that?

one more question regarding fitment.

Since my BB is square tapered, can i use any square tapered crankset from any maufacurer?

will their be fitment issues?

Yes, I've ordered them from Chuck.  It will fit any square taper BB.  It's an older Truvativ model that they don't make any more.  The 2 big rings are aluminun and the small is steel.  It's a bargain if you want to stay with the square BB.  It's probably equivalent to an older LX.

The other thing you could probably do is to take the rings off and put them on your LX.  Aren't the older LX 5 arm models?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 08:52:47 pm by jimbo »

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 08:59:25 pm »
my LBS adviced me to not take the XTcranks and BB, 'cause the XT cranks are the same as the LX and octalink sucks (sometimes the crank comes off the BB: not something you want to experience...)(and you must know that he's not one of those shimanohaters).
I then took the the Raceface Prodigy XC ISIS and must say that I'm very content about that. It's too short to tell something about the strength of the rings.

Jeroen.

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 02:28:11 am »
If you do go with a 9 speed crank, as per Shimano's recommendation, you should run a 9 speed chain. It will work fine with your 8 speed cassette. Scram chains are especially good for this application because their width is between Shimano's 8 and 9 speed chains.

Here's what Shimano says,

" The 9-speed chain is ~0.5 mm narrower and so is the front derailleur cage.

Using a 9-speed chain with 8-speed front derailleur and crankset will result in sluggish shifting and the adjustment is more critical. You may have to continue to hold the shift lever in an "overshift" until the shift is complete. In the worst case, some 8-speed chain rings have shown a tendency for "chain jamming" during downshifts with a 9 speed chain.

The 8-speed chain is too wide for 9 speed front derailleur; the chain will rub during cross shifting (large/mid ring/large cog).

9-speed chain should be no problem for an 8-speed rear drivetrain.

The 9-speed chainring release teeth and pick-up teeth are reprofiled for narrower chains, therefore you can not use an 8-speed chain, and the pick-up teeth will make noise against the chain during minor cross chaining."

« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 06:26:24 am by Phillip »

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 03:53:12 am »
Hey guys,

anyone know the difference between the 1999 XT crankset line and the 2003?

i have someone in my area who is selling the 1999 crankset for 55 dollars, but i can't find any info on it.  

mine is the 4 arm configuration.

let me know what you guys think
03 Razorback

jimbo

Some other cranks on sale:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 06:33:28 am »

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
If you want the best shifting for the
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 01:03:29 pm »
money,buy the Shimano. Buy the LX crank and BB. Yes, the Octalink. Octalink is much better and longer lasting than ISIS. You need to grease and torque it properly. Nothing shifts better than  Shimano rings. Be sure to get the right BB if you go LX, the 2003 XT and LX are not  compatible with each other. The difference in LX and XT is the LX weighes a bit more, because the granny gear is steel and the different BB. LX and XT are very very close performance wise. Raceface Prodigy cranks are heavier  and you must use ISIS. Read the reviews on ISIS. Rich
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 01:07:58 pm by jedoaks »

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 02:54:21 pm »
I'm gonna have to go with Jedoaks on this one. Shimano's Octalink is better than ISIS. Period. There's nothing wrong with, for example, the RaceFace Prodigy, but the quality isn't as high as the Shimano XT.

my LBS adviced me to not take the XTcranks and BB, 'cause the XT cranks are the same as the LX and octalink sucks (sometimes the crank comes off the BB: not something you want to experience...)(and you must know that he's not one of those shimanohaters).
I then took the the Raceface Prodigy XC ISIS and must say that I'm very content about that. It's too short to tell something about the strength of the rings.

Jeroen, your LBS is a little confused. He's right in saying that the XT are not significantly different from the LX (at least not until this year's models came out - now they use different bottom brackets for LX which aren't as good). However, Octalink not only doesn't suck, it's the strongest, most reliable system out there. Check MTBR for a lot of negative reviews of the ISIS design. Poor quality control between brands (i.e. you may not have the best of luck mixing and matching BB's and cranks) and an inherently weak design (something to do with the amount of room not allowing big enough bearings). Personally, everyone I know who has used the ISIS system has replaced the bottom bracket within a year. Shimano BB's tend to last several years, as do the cranks.

Matt

PS
I am a confessed "Shimano lover." Not out of brand loyalty, but because they almost always have the best designs, and I like whatever is best. Others may compare favorably, but I don't think any are better, especially not in the same price range. I have a good mix of LX/XT/XTR, and I love it. Now, if only I could afford a set of those new XTR disc wheels...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 03:12:44 pm »
i am now considering gettin the LX's

Matno,

you mentioned that this years LX's (572?) are not as good as last year because of the spindle.  Do yo mean the ES-51?  

I am thinking about getting ES-71 with the LX-572's, I remember seeing someone post on MTBR that i should get a longer spindle length because this year's LX's ride closer to the BB?

not sure what he mean but do you guys know?

My current (1998 LX) setup is 113x73

Is this the BB size i should get?

let me know ASAP beacuse i am going to order tonight(performance coupon expires tommorow)

thanks alot everyone
03 Razorback

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 04:39:07 pm »
Dare I toss my two cents in as well?  Sure...
I'm first gonna start by qualifying that this response is based on my personal experience and what's worked for me.  I run Tru-Vativ Firex cranks on both bikes.  (Yes, they're ISIS).  I haven't had any problems with them in terms of stifness, creaking, or shifting since I've had my first one (approx 1 1/2 years).  However, it's primary use is intended to be XC oriented.  (I guess I'll soon find out if putting them in the new bike was wise or not).  Also have never had a compatibility problem between brands.  My HT has a RaceFace BB, the EVO has a Tru-Vativ BB.  Again, my personal experience.  Anyhow, Pricepoint has them for $54.98, BB's start at $25.  
I wouldn't say that I'm anti-Shimano, but I like to keep my options open.  If there's something that works just as well, meets the price range I'm looking for, looks good, and is comparable in every other respect I'll buy it.  And I did twice...