Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 12:16:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53
53 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Frame Varnish  (Read 2076 times)

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
Frame Varnish
« on: August 16, 2003, 02:19:33 am »
I have a 96 K2 4500. Since  then I've ridden it extensively in all kinds of terrain. Little by little I've been noticing that the frame as lost some of its luster. what do you suggest I do with this. Sure I can leave it alone, but it has been irritating me. I currently ride my spare bike so I wouldn’t mind taking my 4500 apart anyway for servicing.
Would I use marine grade varnish, resin epoxy, or other solvent over the carbon frame.  

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: Frame Varnish
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 02:33:19 am »
i'm no expert on this by any means and there are several here who are, but my 2 cents would be to get a professional clear coat it, max -
similar to dennis' blue crush.

the carbon fiber can separate, so it seems, from the resin and create clouds in the finish - i get mine near the spine and bottom bracket areas the worse.  i just windex the frame then use a spray on wax furniture polish (pledge) - keeps the frame clean for a while and dirt falling off, fills some of the gaps on the clouding.

OP

(oh, you may wanna check the vintage of your frame)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 03:07:46 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 08:28:36 am »
I'm no carbon expert, but you might want to try Krylon brand high gloss clear acrylic. It comes in a spray can and costs $3 or $4. I've even had great sucess with this stuff to shine up the dull black finish on my motorcycle's engine. The high temp has had no effect on it. Be sure and sand with 600 grit first so that it will stick. Here's a quote from the label on the can, "A permananent corrosion resistant protective coating. Seals porous surfaces. Adds water resistance and helps shed dirt."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 10:40:42 pm by Phillip »

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 02:45:02 pm »
I've read a little more about it. I'm either using a can of Krilon clear spray bomb, some WD-40 or maybe both. The more expensive and most labor intensive way doesn’t seem to be that much better. This method described by using epoxy with a UV blocking varnish on top is fit for a chemist. It involves prepping the surface by sanding. Then cleaning thoroughly. Then. (It helps to be a chemist after this step) measure in the right proportions of Resin Epoxy with a liquid hardener. After this you coat out your surface with this Resin Epoxy. when this solution dries and your done  breathing the harmful fumes. Your ready for the varnish. The varnish is a beautifying step and it is used on boats to Keep the under surface from breaking down. If all of these steps work then you will have a very nice looking frame.