Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 06:24:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47
47 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Oz sizing  (Read 2021 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Oz sizing
« on: August 13, 2003, 09:10:12 am »
Just got hold of an unused Oz(pic in my gallery) as a spare for my 4500, now its soooo nice (even came with a USA made noleen shock,nice spare)I'm thinking of building it up and using the 4500 as the spare but I'm 6' 1" and my 4500 is a large the Oz is a medium now I've taken some measurements and the only difference is the distance between the centre of the seat post tube and centre of the head tube is that the Oz is 1" shorter, I'm using a 110mm stem, I used to ride a 18" 856 with no seat post layback with no problems,is there anyone my height or know of anyone my height with a medium Oz 4500 or 5500 how do you find it I don't really want to transfer everything over if its a definite no no,I know its a personal thing but any advice will be helpfull.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Oz sizing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 09:33:37 am »
I'm not quite your height (I'm 5'11"), but I do have both large and medium 5000's (same geometry as the carbon frames). I find that the large feels more stable in rough conditions, but the medium may have a bit of an edge in the tight singletrack department. Not much though. I usually run the medium with a 90mm stem, although I have a spare 120mm stem for it that makes it a little more stable. At 6'1" though, you may find that the medium is a bit TOO upright. Maybe not. No way to know until you try it (but looks alone isn't a very convincing argument, IMHO).
8)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »
I have both medium and large EVOs and I would agree with Matno's opinion on how they handle.  For long rides, I'll usually take the large bike since it's just more comfortable.  For slow techincal riding, or for jumping, I'll take the medium bike.   I'm 5'8" tall.  

At 6'1", I'm guessing your going to prefer your 4500 as your main ride and the OZ for a spare.  But, what the heck, build up that OZ and you might find yourself doing some trials type riding.  You can't have too many bikes.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 04:50:42 pm »
that inch will make a difference.  you *can* put an even longer stem and get an offset seat post, but, IMO, it won't feel quite right as far as ridability. 6 feet is really on the cusp of a large/way big frame and not a large/medium, especially if you have a long torso.

still you have another carbon frame!

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 09:58:10 am »
Thanks, I think I will build it up using the components from my 865 (had it from new, wife now commutes to work on it) probabaly have to sell the 856 frame set with speed spring and  girvin vector 2 forks + a spare set of vector 2s, b/b and some spares this should fund some required parts for the Oz, eg some convensional forks etc, this way I'll have ready to ride a 4500 and an Oz, only drawback I'll have to let the wife borrow the Oz, are well can't have everything, anyone else with some suggestions on sizing or any other comments will be appreciated,Simon  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 09:59:38 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,