Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:23:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62
62 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rear Elastometer  (Read 3814 times)

Stuhearne

• Novice
Rear Elastometer
« on: September 16, 2011, 01:52:20 pm »
Hey Proflex fans. Thought I would share this with you. I have a proflex 550 which I have had since the late 80's. The bike is a little old now and has done well but the rear elastometers have crumbled. You may already know this but if you dont, a relatively OK way of replacing them is to use an inner tube. I have taken off the elastometer, wound round an old inner tube and fastened with cable ties. To be honest it does a pretty good job and cost next to nothing to replace even though it sounds like a bit of an amateur job (which it is!). For info, i'm from England and nobody I know here has ever heard of proflex, even the people that run local bike shops. Dont think I will ever get a bike quite like it again as it was such an eye turner back in the 80's. Glad to see from this forum that there are still loads going strong.

fyrstormer

• Guru
Re: Rear Elastometer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:36 pm »
Innovative solution, but I doubt it would work on newer bikes with longer-travel shocks. I could be totally wrong though. In any event, if you decide to go for a cleaner solution, you can buy replacement elastomers online and cut them down a bit if you need to.

Also, be a jolly good bloke and post a picture of your ancient bike. ;)

Stuhearne

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:04:07 am »
As requested. As you can see its original apart from XT levers and shifters which were fitted in 1990. Its pretty old now. I think I bought it in 1988 and it was £550. They were quite rare in the UK and still get strange looks from people now. Did a lot of off-roading back then but now just used for trails with my young kids. Wouldnt trust it going fast these days as its showing its age a bit and has probably done 15000 miles! Even the Tri Pro trip computer bought in 1993 is still going well. I enjoy the fact that kids on modern bikes are shocked to hear that my bike is well older than them! I will soon get a spports hybrid for the road and trails but will always keep the Proflex as it seems part of the family after all these years. For info, the UK has had a lot invested in cycling over the last 20 years. Many of the disused railway lines around the UK have been paved and made available for cyclists. There are literally thousands of miles of relatively flat routes all over the UK. If anyone is interested visit http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network.

Just got to the end of this post and realised I dont know how to post an image. Bear with me whilst I find out how

Stuhearne

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:05:46 am »
OK I dont know, how do I post an image!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:36:23 am »
OK I dont know, how do I post an image!

Easiest way for me is to upload an photo from your files to an image hoster. I use photobucket and Villagephotos.

Anyway, view the photo from you photohoster, copy the email address at the top of the screen, and go to the reply screen here. Then the second icon from the left is the image command. It looks like a painting in a frame.

Click on the image command and you will see the curser inbetween text symbols.

The curser will be directly inbetween them and insert your link. It should look something like this img]www.buttnugget.com/photo/img].

Bingo, you should have posted an image.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:44:26 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Stuhearne

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:29:00 am »
Thanks, here it is then

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:57:58 am »
http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=11

i found this place here in the states. dont know if this helps, but.......

david
99' K2 EVO 1000, shimano xt drivetrain,easton ea70 bar/post. ea90 stem. hayes stroker ace disc brakes, hope pro2 hubs on mavic xm819 rims, marzocchi bomber fork,romin saddle, xpedo pedals. kenda ust

Stuhearne

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 11:00:46 am »
Thanks for the info. Yes I had seen that place before but as I wont really be using the bike offroad anymore I thought it quite a lot of money for some rubber (poor moneyless English person that I am!) I have been out with my rather amateur inner tube replacement job today and it actualy seems pretty good. Thanks for the info anyway.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:35:05 am »
Same as my bike Stuhearne.

If the innertubes work, good solution. I bougth some urethane tube from McmasterCarr. Not perfect, but good enough. I took the bike out yesterday and did some monster climbs on the Reseda to Sea portion. I bought an Avid microdrive adapter to replace the small chainring to 20 teeth.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:16:13 am »
My god, that thing is ancient! I didn't know they'd even invented the wheel back in the 80's! :o

j/k, I was born in 1982 and when I was three I tried to drive my dad's car, so I know they had wheels back then. ;)

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 11:59:29 am »
For info, i'm from England and nobody I know here has ever heard of proflex, even the people that run local bike shops.

I have (and have done for 20 odd years) ;) I'm in Derby (now).
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:30:20 am »
^^^^ me too.  there were in your face in the mid nineties but then disappeared totally after the new millennium.  they must have had a bad experience in UK as the K2 bikes never made it over in any number.

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:02:01 am »
I have (and have done for 20 odd years) ;) I'm in Derby (now).
What was so odd about the past 20 years?

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:28:22 pm »
Yes i think it says more about the local bike shops lack of knowledge than the lack of success of Proflex/K2 as a company.
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!