Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:14:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Ive bought a 957  (Read 4058 times)

Spokes

• Guru
Ive bought a 957
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:47:27 pm »
So the magpie in me finaly got the better of me. Ive been hankering after a 957 since '97 when my mate who worked at a Proflex dealer had one. I had a Marin and would drool at the chance of owning a Proflex such as his. When I finally saved up enough to buy something, the most I could get with a trade in and some work in the shop was a 857. No problem there but my mate had been on an test day and seen the new range. He advised me to wait for the 4000 to be released so I did. The 4000 is an awesome bike and Ive had no regrets.
But you always remember back and wonder what if.. 
So from time to time I look on ebay, as you do, and some crackers have been sold recently but at good prices too. Then this one came up a few days ago. It fitted the bill with some good spec yet still plenty to improve on. Hope discs front and back and Pace carbon forks to try. Ideally I would have prefered Pro Carbon crosslinks but Ive got a spare set so no problem. Im interessed to see how the Pace RC36 forks compare. Heres the spec it comes with:

Pace RC36 carbon forks
Hope c2 disc brakes front and rear
Hope ti-glide hubs on mavic 317 rims
Deore xt shifters
Deore lx cranks
Deore xt front mech
Deore rear mech
XTR cassette
Nearly new panaracer fire xc tires
Giant bars and stem
Wtb saddle

It was posted yesterday so when it arrives Ill put up a photo.

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Ive bought a 957
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:50:16 pm »
So the magpie in me finaly got the better of me. Ive been hankering after a 957 since '97 when my mate who worked at a Proflex dealer had one. I had a Marin and would drool at the chance of owning a Proflex such as his. When I finally saved up enough to buy something, the most I could get with a trade in and some work in the shop was a 857. No problem there but my mate had been on an test day and seen the new range. He advised me to wait for the 4000 to be released so I did. The 4000 is an awesome bike and Ive had no regrets.
But you always remember back and wonder what if.. 
So from time to time I look on ebay, as you do, and some crackers have been sold recently but at good prices too. Then this one came up a few days ago. It fitted the bill with some good spec yet still plenty to improve on. Hope discs front and back and Pace carbon forks to try. Ideally I would have prefered Pro Carbon crosslinks but Ive got a spare set so no problem. Im interessed to see how the Pace RC36 forks compare. Heres the spec it comes with:

Pace RC36 carbon forks
Hope c2 disc brakes front and rear
Hope ti-glide hubs on mavic 317 rims
Deore xt shifters
Deore lx cranks
Deore xt front mech
Deore rear mech
XTR cassette
Nearly new panaracer fire xc tires
Giant bars and stem
Wtb saddle

It was posted yesterday so when it arrives Ill put up a photo.

Chris

Nice,i have always wanted a 957 too
kiwi proflex rider

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:36 am »
I've seen that bike on ebay.
You got it for a nice price!!!
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:05:59 am »
Wow. Great build. Hope you enjoy it.

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:38 pm »
Yes for the price the spec is really good and I figured with Hope hubs and discs it was well worth a go. I paid nearly the same last year for just a frame that turned out to be the wrong size worn out and dented. Sent that one back! Theres something about polished ali framed bikes that stands out and add some carbon fiber and they look top quality.
Best of all he emailed me yesterday to refund me £5 as he over estimated the postage!! Never had that before on ebay, what a honest guy.
Hoping it arrives tomorrow but probably the end of the week.
Feeling happy
Chris
856's
OZx modern build

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:55:38 am »
The seller refunded excess postage costs? Wow. That's a stand-up guy right there.

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »
The 957 arrived today and first impressions is its very nice. The frame is in good condition with no dents or scrapes and just needs a good polish. The decals are all there if a little scuffed in places. It needs a full service as the head set is notchy and there are a few creaks.
However the first thing I have to do is replace a spoke in the rear wheel as the drop out was bent and on my trial ride accross the garden the rear derailer shifted straight into the wheel and snapped a spoke! ::) I straightened the dropout on the vice and its ok. I guess it got damaged in postage as you couldnt ride it like it was.
I cant seem to upload any photos onto coppermine, just keep getting this message 'Destination directory albums/userpics/10800/ is not writable by the script ! '
Anyone know what this means?

Chris
856's
OZx modern build

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 02:10:04 am »
The 957 arrived today and first impressions is its very nice. The frame is in good condition with no dents or scrapes and just needs a good polish. The decals are all there if a little scuffed in places. It needs a full service as the head set is notchy and there are a few creaks.
However the first thing I have to do is replace a spoke in the rear wheel as the drop out was bent and on my trial ride accross the garden the rear derailer shifted straight into the wheel and snapped a spoke! ::) I straightened the dropout on the vice and its ok. I guess it got damaged in postage as you couldnt ride it like it was.
I cant seem to upload any photos onto coppermine, just keep getting this message 'Destination directory albums/userpics/10800/ is not writable by the script ! '
Anyone know what this means?

Chris

I dont know what it means,try logging out of k2 riders and then going to galleries and logging in there .I fyou cant do that send me some pics(email) and i will host em
kiwi proflex rider

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:08:32 am »
Yeah Spokes, Kiwi has it, log out of idriders and then bring up coppermine and it will work.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:53:18 pm »
Just tried that and it still wont work. Got the same message and this one 'Notice: Undefined offset: 8192 in /var/www/proflex/coppermine/include/debugger.inc.php on line 112 '.   Means absolutely nothing to me. Ill wait till my mate comes home from holiday as he is my IT help desk! He will press one button and say done it, whats your problem!

Chris
856's
OZx modern build

petes97857

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 03:10:14 am »
Hi there
I had a similar issue with my Proflex 857 last year when I first got the frame the rear mech hanger was bent I thought it was worth a try to straighten out the in a vice it looked ok but a bit stressed on the surface.
A week later on it's first long climb up a steep hill it gave way busted a couple of spokes bent and snapped mech cage and broke chain worst of all I had to push my new toy home whilst girlfriend cycled.

The next day in a slightly calmer mood I searched the net thingy and found a new hanger on the bay for about £15ish quid I also found some stainless steel countersunk screws as the old screws were a bit rounded looking and stainless is a lot softer so can bend/break easy and be drilled out if nesesary in the future about £2 for a ten pack.

The hanger that came was a Goldtec one nice British CNCd quality one in anodised black it's suits the swingarm mounting well I like understated quality bits.
 When fitting the hanger the swingarm mount was fully degreaser and dried blue  Loctite low strength  was squirted into tread holes to secure countersunk screws with a light coating of a copper based grease between the mating faces to stop creaks/corrosion.

Picture of hanger on
petes97857  on photobucket

Hope this is use also a warning about temporary repairs
Peter
Picture of my hanger

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 04:53:32 pm »
kiwi proflex rider

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:09:18 pm »
Thats the same one mine has on it. Didnt know it was a Goldtech item as it has BETD.CO.UK printed on it. I was going to do a search and buy a new one and the straightening was a temporary thing just to have a ride on it. But Im glad you brought this up as I would have waited untill it was too late and had to push home!!
I like Goldtech, they make some really nice stuff. My OZx has Goldtech Sam hubs. They look lovely and weigh nothing. Even the clicking the rear hub makes sounds quality,  ;D ......nice!
Im onto it,cheers

Chris
Still cant upload any new photos..... :(
856's
OZx modern build

Willie_B

• Master
  • Not old enough to stop playing with toys.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »
I have been using  "photobucket.com"  to host my pics. Free and has been working well.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.