Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 08:16:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13
13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Not proflex specifically, but must read/see, "the river took my bike"  (Read 2605 times)

Thunderchild

• Master
In Utah, USA, we had massive snow fall this year and mild temperatures, so lots of snow still remains to melt.  The rivers and streams are still very high.  High altitude trails still have lots of snow with many not open.  This happened in American Fork Canyon where we have lots of nice trails.  This guy is a major endurance rider. 

http://grizzlyadam.net/2011/07/river-took-bike.html

I have ridden this trail and crossed on top of the logs with the water much lower and slower. 

Thunderchild

Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

02gf74

• Apprentice
I crossed a river once in Yorkshire holding my bike by my side - it was proflex - and the river was quite capable of taking it away - it was maybe 1 or 2 ft deep at most but the tyres and frame give it buoyancy.  It is surprising how much force water has - the combination of water against your legs, walking over an uneven and slippery surface plus being thrown off balance by the bike is a recipe for disaster.  My sitution was nowhere near as dramatic as that but it still makes you wonder and respect the forces involved.

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
Lunatic  :o   whatever possessed him to attempt to cross that river in the 1st place??? and why did he choose to get into the water and use the logs as a handrail rather than just inch his way across ON TOP of the logs???

good to see that he did get his bike back in the end though, even if it was a mit mashed.

My work involves constructing stuff, sometimes big stuff, including bridges, and I've seen a flash flood just lift up a bridge weighing many tons and deposit it a few hundred metres downstream whilst we stood about open mouthed saying..."where's it gone?"...  "it's gone!"...  "no way!"...  "f*********ck!!!".
Fast flowing water only has to be about knee deep for it to take your feet from under you, looks like this crazy SOB got VERY lucky  :o

02gf74: are you from Gods own County then?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:36:58 am by jimbob »
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

w2zero

• Master
In my crowd, we call hindsight rectal vision. 
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
HA Ha!

He got it out. Don't know if I would trust it, but good for him. ;)

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

fyrstormer

• Guru
That right there is a river in need of a proper foot bridge.