Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 06:19:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24
24 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rear Shock Adapter.  (Read 4198 times)

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
Rear Shock Adapter.
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:29 am »
Before the big site crash O2gf74 had talked about the possibilities of machining an adapter for the rear shock on the 856/857/95x bikes to allow the stock Noleen shock to be replaced with a more modern air shock eg Fox Float etc...   So I thought I'd create the topic again partly to serve as a place for discussion of this topic and partly to aid others in the future who might find it using the Search function.

I had thought it may be easier to mount the shock "upside down" as it were, to allow access to air vlaves, rebound adjusters etc.... as on the Gary Fisher HiFi below...

1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
Re: Rear Shock Adapter.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »
I got the impression the shock body would hit the frame plates where the shock attaches at it's maximum stroke...
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:07:57 am »
I got the impression the shock body would hit the frame plates where the shock attaches at it's maximum stroke...

Upside down clears the frame. I chose to mount my swinger rightside up, but shaved a bit of the frame plates to allow the shock to tuck in tighter.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:04:15 am »

Upside down clears the frame. I chose to mount my swinger rightside up, but shaved a bit of the frame plates to allow the shock to tuck in tighter.

Terry

That's good news, but at the same time somewhat strange.
The shock shaft goes inside the frame between the plates, and it really seems the shock body will hit the plates when compressed.
I always wanted to mount it upside down, as the shock body has a base to put some shims in order to make a base for the adapter.
I didn't make the adapter yet (and I have the swinger for a long time now) and I'm still thinking on how to do it.
The biggest problem is to get the right aluminum grade. Everybody here seems to have the softest aluminum I've ever seen!!!
Yeti ASR 5

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:58:40 am »

Terry

That's good news, but at the same time somewhat strange.
The shock shaft goes inside the frame between the plates, and it really seems the shock body will hit the plates when compressed.
I always wanted to mount it upside down, as the shock body has a base to put some shims in order to make a base for the adapter.
I didn't make the adapter yet (and I have the swinger for a long time now) and I'm still thinking on how to do it.
The biggest problem is to get the right aluminum grade. Everybody here seems to have the softest aluminum I've ever seen!!!

Is your frame a small? I have a 957 small and the end of the shock goes right into the toptube. You are right, that would be a problem.

I borrow an image from W2zero to illustrate. 
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:17:13 am »

Is your frame a small? I have a 957 small and the end of the shock goes right into the toptube. You are right, that would be a problem.

No, it's a large (I can't imagine a shock that could be used in the small frame besides the nollen...).
Even so, a little bit of the shaft goes inside the plate limit. I'm just afraid it will touch them when it's compressed to the maximum.
Yeti ASR 5

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:28:01 am »
Aww man, ripping off my image..  It's okay, just send small denomination bills and non sequential serial numbers..

That frame is presently outfitted with an ODS and awaiting a ti spring.  I expect it'll be built up for either my daughter or daughter-in-law or even granddaughter eventually.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:24:58 am »
Finally received the adapter and will be posting photos of it in the next couple of days. Just needs a few more tweaks and riding. :)

It uses Fox float shock and can be fitted the "right way" up but only 1 way due to the air valve.  The little rebound knob is withing the frame gussets but can be truned using one finger.