Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:27:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: proflex 756  (Read 9308 times)

arch-stanton

• Novice
proflex 756
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:29:56 am »
Hello,
Firstly, I'm new to the site, so Hi everyone... secondly and more importantly I guess, I have just acquired a Proflex 756.. i got it from Ebay last week, it's in pretty much standard, good condition, except for the age old problem, which you guys are fully aware of... the shocks.. I've had a good look around the site and the information on here is great, however I'm having a problem actually identifying which type of shocks I have on the bike. Any help you can give me would be great and then I can crack on and decide which way I'm going to go with the rebuild..
Ok, the front shock is a Girvin, that's all it says, originally it had the elastomers in, but the previous owner has fitted (very poorly) some springs, which just don't move.
I'm guessing that these are Vector 1's ?

The rear shock, again had elastomers in and springs subsequently fitted, which don't fit and don't work! I've taken them apart and they're a very simple design, with an air chamber in the middle of the shock.. Noleen ?
I have pictures of them both, but am still working out how to actually post them on here! (it's fair to say, I'm not a tech head!)
Anyways, thanks in anticipation..
Arch.

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
Re: proflex 756
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:15 am »
Hi, I use Photobucket for my pics. I just opened an account (free), uploaded the pics, then hover over the pic you want and "copy" the IMG code, then paste that into my post on here.

As for shocks, I'm not clued up on the Urethane/ODS shocks but there's plenty on here who are :)
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

arch-stanton

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:13:38 am »
Great, cheers jimbob.. that's one problem I can sort.. will attempt to upload some pics...

arch-stanton

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:51:29 am »

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:53:45 am »
http://suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php

That links to some urethane springs.  Your shocks are the original friction shocks.  If you pop the tops, you will find inside one or two rubber balls that should have some grease to allow movement in there.  My best guess is that they use entrapped air and friction to damp the spring action as they compress.  Use a synthetic grease that won't eat the rubber balls.  An alternative grease can be found in the electrical department of the big home improvement stores.  Silicone grease wire pulling compound is the stuff but I also had success with blue waterproof wheel bearing grease for boat trailers too.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

arch-stanton

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »
That's great, thank you.. at least i know what i'm looking for now... I've taken the shocks to bits and the ball is in there as you say, the seals look a bit worn though and they don't seem to hold air as you suggest, maybe new seals are required?  I've taken the whole bike to bits in an afternoon and I can honestly say, it's been a pleasure to work on   :)
so far that is!

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:20:12 pm »
They don't really hold air so much as just promote a semi-controlled leak.  They resist the speed of compression when you hit a bump and then resist the spring return so it doesn't pitch you over the bars on extension.  Kinda sorta like your springs and shocks do on the car.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

arch-stanton

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 01:02:28 am »
w2zero
Yeah, that's more or less what I've got with mine.. Is there anywhere I can source some springs? The guy I bought it off fitted some random springs, which as I say, don't work, the compression on them is way too high and they don't even fit.. he'd used metal washers to bridge the gap..
cheers.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:04:31 am »
w2zero
Yeah, that's more or less what I've got with mine.. Is there anywhere I can source some springs? The guy I bought it off fitted some random springs, which as I say, don't work, the compression on them is way too high and they don't even fit.. he'd used metal washers to bridge the gap..
cheers.
Welcome,
The only springs suitable for those shocks are the urethane ones. The ODS version shock had oil in them and could use coil springs, but new caps and retainers had to be made. RDI Scotland, the only place that made and sold them closed this year.

I saw that J6Noleen has come out with shocks for the front and rear of your bike. But $400 is really alot of cash. I would go for the Urethane listed in the post above.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

arch-stanton

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:26:12 pm »
Terry
Thanks for that, I had a look at the Noleen site earlier.. nice, but as you say, expensive... I think the elastomer route makes sense for now.. the only route!.. can I ask what your thoughts are on the Land rover suspension bushes that some guys have used?..
cheers.

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »
I was just looking at your pictures again.  Those springs look extra stiff.  I measured my springs that range from 200# up to 325# and they were all 6.5 to 7 mm wire size and six to eight turns at 3 to 3-3/4" between the adjusters. 
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:19:53 pm »
Terry
Thanks for that, I had a look at the Noleen site earlier.. nice, but as you say, expensive... I think the elastomer route makes sense for now.. the only route!.. can I ask what your thoughts are on the Land rover suspension bushes that some guys have used?..
cheers.
Don't know about the Land Rover bushes. If they are cheap, why not try. I put in urethane tube in my Offroad that I got from McMasterCarr and it works great. Spent about $20 before I got the right durometer.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

arch-stanton

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 02:07:03 am »
w2zero
The springs are 8mm wire diameter and 45mm in actual spring diameter, 75mm length uncompressed.. with 750LBS/IN stamped on the side.. as I say, they don't even fit the cups, nor are they long enough.. with me being new to Proflex I thought the shock could be upgraded to a spring..

Terry
The Land Rover bushes are on e bay now £1.99 for 8 plus a small p&p charge, I've read on here, or maybe Retrobike, about them being drilled vertically to soften the bush suitably for your weight... as you say, inexpensive and worth a try given my options, plus it will at least get me riding and I can then take some time to source an ODS upgrade.. or find one of the other aftermarket shocks..
I will order the Land Rover bushes and get back to you with the results...
Oh, here's the link to them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-1-Front-Shock-Absorber-Bush-Kit-/270350608362?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ef226e7ea

cheers.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 07:47:47 am »
w2zero
The springs are 8mm wire diameter and 45mm in actual spring diameter, 75mm length uncompressed.. with 750LBS/IN stamped on the side.. as I say, they don't even fit the cups, nor are they long enough.. with me being new to Proflex I thought the shock could be upgraded to a spring..

Terry
The Land Rover bushes are on e bay now £1.99 for 8 plus a small p&p charge, I've read on here, or maybe Retrobike, about them being drilled vertically to soften the bush suitably for your weight... as you say, inexpensive and worth a try given my options, plus it will at least get me riding and I can then take some time to source an ODS upgrade.. or find one of the other aftermarket shocks..
I will order the Land Rover bushes and get back to you with the results...
Oh, here's the link to them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-1-Front-Shock-Absorber-Bush-Kit-/270350608362?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ef226e7ea

cheers.
That's a bargain. ;)
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 11:42:35 pm »
I used those land rover bushes on some Vectors - they afforded some 1" of travel - not great (and the travel wasn't exactly progressive/linear), but it gets you up and running and for the price you can't complain. I would say they are better suited to the rear end than the front.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:50:26 pm by orange »
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104