Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:22:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21
21 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 1995 Animal - Where to begin?  (Read 7890 times)

Skinnyboy

• Novice
1995 Animal - Where to begin?
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:45:15 am »
G'day fellas!  I have recently scored basically what is either a little gem or a money pit from the Bay of E.  Turns out by my research its a 1995 Animal.  Shes in a sorry state, the Maguras are faded the frames paint work has chipped etc.  But amongst the filth I see some promise.  Just a couple of questions though.  First, on BikePedia they state the seat post size is 27.2 but when measured with a vernier its actually 26mm :strokeychin: Which is it? 

Also what direction should I restore this?  I am a sucker for vintage bits but love the newer group sets as well.  I work in a spray shop so paintwise anything goes, but i would love to build this Animal into a real sweet bike, should I go period group set or tart the frame up and modernise all the components?

Anyway, here she is, in its curent state, looking pretty sorry for itsself.

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
Re: 1995 Animal - Where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:58:32 am »
Is this the one from the blue mountains?

I was thinking of bidding myself, just for the brakes.

For how it could look with modern stuff, have a look at my 856 thread. Full XTR groupset and I rate it as highly as any modern bike I have ridden. I have a 955 built up period, but it doesn't get a look in now I have one with modern parts.

All I can say is enjoy playing with it and working out how you want it to be. If your like me it will constantly evolve until you find the sweet spot.

Skinnyboy

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:14:07 am »
Yeah i think it was, paid a ton 50 for it.  I love your bike BTW!  I bought a Mongoose NX9.7 frame from the Blue Mountains a few years back, thats currently sat on my desk awaiting my procrastinating to cease so i can build that up as well.  I've always loved the ProFlex bikes, back in the UK where I grew up, when they came out every time we saw one we got jealous even on our decent bikes.  I thought it was high time I got myself one. 

As for the salvageable bits, the Maggies are in pretty decent order. They just need tidying up and some new brake pads fitted.  The shocks are in perfect order too. 

Going to start stripping it ready for paint this week.  Have to decide on a colour sharpish, i was thinking white front triangle with a blue pearl and a powder coated gunmetal swing arm. 

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:02:48 am »
Personally I like polished frames, but a blue pearl sounds nice. Do you intend on getting Proflex Decals made up for it?

You have the heart of a very nice bike though, and its cost you pretty much nothing. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:00:04 am »
I think your seatpost should be 27.2.

Maybe the clamp compressed it down. Check from the bottom side? Usually the Noleen shocks are blown.

Hope you can get it back in shape.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:00 am »
Here are a few white Proflexs to give you an idea. They're not mine, just nice looking bikes. Good luck.

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

Skinnyboy

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »
Thanks lads, I reckon white is the go! 

Once I get started I'll do a build thread. I think I'll amass the parts first then build it in one go, but the paint job will be done in the next few weeks, I'll have to get in touch with Gil on Retrobike for some new decals.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:25:32 am »
yep he'll sort you - but be patient - he's a busy man! I've met him a few times he's a good bloke though :)
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Skinnyboy

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:29:54 am »
just notice a bit of photochoppery on that 857 with the Spin wheels

Note the deleted underseat bag shadow!

I put together a rough estimate partslist last night.... wasn't pretty lol easily a grand for the basics.  Oh well, have to sell some Mugen stuff to the yanks to fund it hehe

spikebender

• Journeyman
  • My 855
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:09:45 am »
G'day fellas!  I have recently scored basically what is either a little gem or a money pit from the Bay of E.  Turns out by my research its a 1995 Animal.  Shes in a sorry state, the Maguras are faded the frames paint work has chipped etc.  But amongst the filth I see some promise.  Just a couple of questions though.  First, on BikePedia they state the seat post size is 27.2 but when measured with a vernier its actually 26mm :strokeychin: Which is it? 

Also what direction should I restore this?  I am a sucker for vintage bits but love the newer group sets as well.  I work in a spray shop so paintwise anything goes, but i would love to build this Animal into a real sweet bike, should I go period group set or tart the frame up and modernise all the components?

Anyway, here she is, in its curent state, looking pretty sorry for itsself.

just notice a bit of photochoppery on that 857 with the Spin wheels

Note the deleted underseat bag shadow!

I put together a rough estimate partslist last night.... wasn't pretty lol easily a grand for the basics.  Oh well, have to sell some Mugen stuff to the yanks to fund it hehe
Custom trailer (thanks Papa)

spikebender

• Journeyman
  • My 855
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:26 am »
hey nice score, quick qustion. you mentioned "bikepedia" is that a site? info like that is always good to know
thanks, spike bender
Custom trailer (thanks Papa)

Skinnyboy

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:23 am »

Skinnyboy

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 04:04:17 am »
Well the bits are starting to come in for this build.  I've stripped the bike down and hopefully it will get painted or polished this week.  Its getting a SRAM X9 rear mech and shifters with Deore chainset and 520 SPDs, found some retro Onza bar ends in great condition from the US, a sweet Ritchey seat post and a nice wheelset that cost me next to nothing.  So hopefully I should have some progress pics and ride the damn thing soon enough!

Props goes out though to my new mate Arran, who has more stuff than most bike shops, cheers for helping out fella!

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 01:46:19 pm »
8)
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Skinnyboy

• Novice
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 05:08:48 am »
Frame now ready to get a paint job, finished stripping it today and spent a couple of hours finely "metal finishing" it so the paintwork will have a top notch surface to go on.  Still deciding on the damn colour!  White is currently number 1 but seeing it in the raw, makes me want to have it anodised a titanium colour.