Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:01:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9
9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rear shock adaptors?  (Read 6851 times)

DugB

• Master
Rear shock adaptors?
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:15 am »
Hello all,

A while back people were talking about all the different ways we could mount double eyelet (e.g. Fox Float) rear shocks on our X56's and X57's...whatever happened to those ideas?

Is there anyone on the list with machinist capabilities or CAD skills who can make/draft something for general sale? I'm thinking of a more refined version of this:
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2
a very understanding wife

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Rear shock adaptors?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:15:42 am »
Hey Doug, could you email me the pic, as again images are being blocked on my viewer. I have an AutoCad guy on staff here. Got some ideas on how to machine these also.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

DugB

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:23:02 am »
OK, will do...I actually found some steel rods here I bought as lathe stock that already have a taper on one end, which happens to match the rear strut inner taper well...and they're thick enough to have a channel machined through them to act as a U-channel, in which the lower shock eyelet could be inserted. My only issue is that cutting the channel will be difficult for me, as I have no milling machine. Though it would raise the rear end a bit, I was thinking about a 7.5" Fox Float RP2 might be a nice rear shock. Or maybe 6.5 would be better, though I'd like to have the additional .5" of stroke.

Check your email in a few minutes...

- Doug
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »
Here is the picture of what I have done, but I think the adapter in your photo looks a lot neater. I think in the short term I may have to have something like that made up. Mine is functional, but weighty and not overly aesthetically pleasing.

I was able to match the eye to eye measurements of the old set up, but I am not sure what change to the travel was made by going to a standard shock. I suspect it has been slightly increased. Its feel is immeasurably better though.

It probably wouldn't be bad to have a thread where everyone posts their adapters, it may give people a few ideas about doing there own.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:51:19 pm by sammydog »

DugB

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »
Sammydog, I think yours looks way better than the one I posted (I copied the photo from some eBay auction, I think). I like that you machined external flats as well, which would allow for the use of a lock washer under the bolt head. Does it have a taper where it fits into the strut, to match that inside the strut? If so, I think yours is the total package...I think this part would be an excellent candidate for digitization and submission to eMachineShop for quantity production. If the cost is decent I wouldn't mind fronting the cash for a certain quantity provided there is sufficient demand on the list. And the person who creates the CAD file that meets eMachineShop's criteria gets at least one free :-)

- Doug :-)
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:56:12 pm »
Mine is tapered where it goes into the strut. My issue will be getting it out of the strut as the bolt head has been rounded.

I actually want to put it on my spare strut so I will try and get it off in the Christmas break.

Assuming I can get it off, what do I need to do to get the specifications to someone to submit to eMachineshop?

DugB

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »
Probably just measurements...I actually started making one last night, but realized that my little lathe was probably making too much noise and keeping people up, so I had to shut down the operation for the night. I have no experience with CAD software, so me using eMachineShop to create a useful part is probably out of the question in the short term. Anyone else have the time to digitize Sammydog's measurements?

- Doug
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:42:00 am »
my engineer has working on a production version of this type of thing for a while now - it has been designed to fit the aluminium 97 bikes as well - it has kind of slowed down since we are working on long travel springs for DH bikes.

We've already done the CNC'd bushings for the top frame attachment.

The only thing I can't work out is whether enough folks will shell out for a fox shock AND a cnc'd adapter when that will be not far off the price of a new frame...

rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

DugB

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:10 am »
I would, mainly because used Fox Floats go cheap on US eBay everyday. Plus, buying a new frame might require switching to disc brakes, which would be a costy conversion. What do you feel is a likely ETA, Callum? You might have yours ready for order before my little Unimat lathe carves through the remaining 2mm on the taper I'm machining ;-)

- Doug :-)
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:30:41 am »
Other nice shock would be the Manitou Swinger 3. I've heard it works well in the Pro-Flex x57 bikes.
I've one for almost a year sitting on the bench, mainly because I haven't decided how to make the adapter.
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

webba

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »
cumon  ;)  callam ill put my name down on then list for just the adapter, I have a fox float that I was going to make an adapter for

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »
I'm actually thinking about a new fox float rp23 for my frame. So I would be interested to see what you come up with.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »
oh crikey, I've started something!  The guys are working on the springs at the moment but I'll sort out the adapter next - I have 97 bike and a 96 856 frames stripped and ready.  I've also got a rp23 and hopefully will get an rp2 to test on.

to be honest, it is bloody cold up in the rds loft at the moment !!!

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 04:58:37 pm »
After you have sorted it, you could try to fit a Swinger 3 onto it... If it fits, great!!!
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 04:47:09 am »
will need some measurements:
+ eye to eye for the swinger
+ the diameter of the holes on each end of the shock

the nice thing about modern shocks is that they only need to be at about 2.75:1 ratio for an 856 - modern buikes use much harsher ratios for travel.

one small problem is that the 97 and 856 bikes might need the bottom of the seatpost chopped off.  Both mine are already chopped (so I can't test fit) because we used to sell long travel kits that needed every mm of room for the 5" of wheel travel!  I rode a 5" travel 856 for years - the UK bike journalists at the time said "No one needs 5" on an XC bike".  hmmm.  my Orange 5 has 5" of travel and it is considered 'normal' nowadays!

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast