Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 12:12:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39
39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Question for Matno (or any Lefty expert)  (Read 2022 times)

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question for Matno (or any Lefty expert)
« on: July 09, 2003, 03:14:52 pm »
 Matno, you seem to know a lot about c-dale lefty forks. How many models are out so far? w/c one in your opinion is better and why? is there a 4" travel w/ a lock-out? if steer tube is converted to 1 1/8 (I think it's doable) would it affect stiffness? TIA

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Question for Matno (or any Lefty expert)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 11:45:04 pm »
There are a few models that I know of. The "regular" Lefty is a 4" travel model with manual lockout and compression damping control. (I can't remember if it has separate rebound control). The ELO model has electronic lockout (from a button on your handlebars) but you give up the compression damping, which is a poor trade, IMO. There was also a ti version, which was somewhat more flexy, and I'm not sure if they still make it.

The newer Lefty MAX is a 5" version that uses Manitou's TPC+ damping control, which may be the best damping out there. I certainly like it on my X-verts. I'm not sure if the newer 4" version of the Lefty also has TPC+ plus, but I imagine it does.

As for converting to 1 1/8", it's doable, but you would have to do some serious welding. (i.e. you would have to weld a new steerer onto it, which would be difficult because it would have to be perfectly straight and because it is aluminum). I doubt you'd have a problem with stiffness. The design is basically like a dual crown in stiffness. Not really cost effective, if you ask me, since the Leftys cost so much in the first place (if you buy them aftermarket) and there are other awesome forks out there that would be much easier to mount! (like Fox)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5