Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 01:24:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2001 K2 Razorback Noleen Mega Air Shock Leaks  (Read 11165 times)

MI_K2_Razor

• Novice
2001 K2 Razorback Noleen Mega Air Shock Leaks
« on: July 29, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »
Hi all.  New to your site.  Good stuff...

I have an older K2 razorback with a rear shock leaking oil.  I have a couple of questions..

First - has anyone rebuild one of these?  Any tips before I tear it apart?

I have a rebuild kit that I bought from NoleenJ6. 

I also found an old manual on the shock.  It seems a bit complicated. 

I was also considering switching to the 03-04 Fox shock.  I've read that I need a new rear triangle to do this.  Does anyone know specifically what is different?  I'm wondering if I can modify or make up a part to be able to adapt the Fox shock to my frame.  I havent been able to find any good pictures of the Fox parts to try and figure it out.

Any hints and help that can be provided is appreciated!!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:58:37 pm by MI_K2_Razor »

pinion

• Novice
  • A bicycle cannot stand on its own; it is two tired
Re: 2001 K2 Razorback Noleen Mega Air Shock Leaks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »

From looking at the seatstay assembly from an 02 Razorback on K2 site, and looking at the fox pull shock on ebay, maybe the Fox shock would fit on an '02?  The collar that grabs the base of the Noleen shock bolts on the '02 and later seatstays (looks like it's all one piece on the '01), and it looks like the Fox shock has features that would bolt to the seatstay without the collar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200367815772&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

I'm not sure if you could modify the '01 seatstay without wrecking it, but I only have the frame drawing to go by, not the real thing.  Maybe some of the more clever and experienced modifiers on the board could come up with some ideas.
2001 K2 Attack 4.0
X-fusion O2-RC Shock
120mm Rockshox Psylo

MI_K2_Razor

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:47:11 pm »
Thanks.  That link helps a little.  Looks like that shock mounts to the triangle with those holes on the side.  I guess I'm not totally sure how mine attaches to the triangle, or if it is just sitting thru it.  I guess I might be able to come up with a bracket to mount to the holes on the shock.  Not sure what it would need to look like and how it would interface with the triangle.

Hopefully I make the time this weekend to try to rebuild it.

Thanks for your help.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:40:01 am »
I completely rebuilt my 01 razorback pull shock last month.  You can get rebuild kits from Noleen J6  (although, pester them if it doesn't arrive) even though they are not on their website.   I also replaced the damping pin as well.

I am going to do a video  how to - basically there are two types of things that can go wrong:

a) air seals:  pressurise the shock and dump it in a basin of water; if you see bubbles you need to change the air seals.  It is usually the schraeder valve seal that goes.
b) air and oil: you need to get the kit and do it all.

I replaced most of the oil seals (not all) and all of the air seals and it is working again.
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

bike kid

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:44 am »
when I bought my '04 razorback the previous owner put a fox shock on it, and a really nice carbon fiber rear triangle, I'd say if you already bought the rebuild kit, just rebuild it, but consider upgrading to a fox shock later on.

bike kid
Dx^3:) olgf

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »
caution though, because you need the fox-specific rear strut to make it work.  The fox won't fit on the normal aluminium strut for the 01 razorback...

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

bike kid

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:30:15 pm »
Does the '01 razorback come with different shock mounts than the '04?

Vexableman

• Novice
  • Vexableman where are you?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:38:15 am »
Timely post. You need a fox specific seatstay.  K2 once offered this upgrade it was aluminium and painted black. An example of this exact configuration is on ebay US right now. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-K2-Razorback-Medium_W0QQitemZ320409707157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item4a99e82295&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Good luck on your rebuild. 
Vexableman

bike kid

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:55:15 pm »
yeah, that looks just like my bike, except I have a carbon fiber rear triangle:)    Do you know which shock is lighter, the noleen, or fox?

Vexableman

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:06 am »
I think the Noleen is lighter but the Fox is a little more plush.  I loved the Noleen pull shock though..   
Vexableman

MI_K2_Razor

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 05:26:00 pm »
Thanks guys for all the information.

I too had trouble getting my shock kit from Noleen J6.  After about 6 weeks and a couple calls to them they decided they never sent my kit and sent me one out with upgraded shipping.  (Their shipping prices are a real joke!!  )

Anyway, after a couple of conversations with Clark at Noleen J6, I was able to get thru the rebuild (Clark was very helpful).  Everything seems to be working OK, and no leaks - air or oil.  I'm a little concerned as I scuffed the shaft when trying to disassemble things.  I'm afraid that could cause premature wear to the seals and/or cause a leak.

I was interested in the Fox shock swap - mainly because I expect Fox to be around longer and I'd like to continue to ride this bike for years to come.  If I could find the triangle and the shock, I think it would be good insurance to pick up the set to keep the bike around longer.  Hopefully the Noleen will hold together.  I guess I shouldn't complain - the bike has thousands of miles on it and this is the first rebuild.  I've just heard a lot of poor reliability stories - mine has been outstanding.

If anyone else is interested in this rebuild, I did take pictures as I went along that I could share if anyone wants. 

Rapiddescent - my rebuild kit came with an extra fat o-ring.  The same  o-ring that is used as a bumpstop on the lockout end of the shock.  Clark at Noleen directed me to put it in between the 2 belville washers.  Was yours like that?  (Mine wasnt built that way when I took it apart).  Also, at the threaded joint where the 2 shafts went together - my shock had an o-ring installed there that wasnt in the replacement kit, nor in the instruction manual I had.  Did you have that O-ring???

Thanks Guys!!

bike kid

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

jose.corisco

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 04:09:45 am »
Hi. I just got here. Glad to know you K2 riders. I'm wiiliing to see that video you're talking about. Trying to re-build may 2000 Nollenn pullshcok (run out of pressurre after 10 years, uau!). Does any one around there have a full 2000 K2 Razorback owners manual pdf? Can't find it at K2 home page.

Ride nicelly

Jose Corisco, Portugal/Lisbon

I completely rebuilt my 01 razorback pull shock last month.  You can get rebuild kits from Noleen J6  (although, pester them if it doesn't arrive) even though they are not on their website.   I also replaced the damping pin as well.

I am going to do a video  how to - basically there are two types of things that can go wrong:

a) air seals:  pressurise the shock and dump it in a basin of water; if you see bubbles you need to change the air seals.  It is usually the schraeder valve seal that goes.

I replaced most of the oil seals (not all) and all of the air seals and it is working again.

Jose Corisco

jose.corisco

• Novice
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:13:35 am »
Jesus! How can I have made so many spelling errors?  :-[

Hi. I just got here. Glad to know you K2 riders. I'm wiiliing to see that video you're talking about. Trying to re-build may 2000 Nollenn pullshcok (run out of pressurre after 10 years, uau!). Does any one around there have a full 2000 K2 Razorback owners manual pdf? Can't find it at K2 home page.

Ride nicelly

Jose Corisco, Portugal/Lisbon

Jose Corisco

Vexableman

• Novice
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:00:14 am »
Just send it here:  http://shockspital.com/  and let B. Rose take care of it.   Both shocks have their quirks. The Noleen works great until it starts to leak air.  I had two so when one went for repair (which was infrequent) I had the other ready to go.  You would need the special read triangle built specifically for this change but the Fox lockout will just break on you anyway.  Just watch some of Callum's vids of him riding his Rback on his back yard trails. The Noleen works very well.  My advise is to just ride real fast, focus on survival and be glad you have the RBack.   I do recommend rolling that Noleen lock out level to a position that lessens the chance if impalement should you crash.

Hi all.  New to your site.  Good stuff...

I have an older K2 razorback with a rear shock leaking oil.  I have a couple of questions..

First - has anyone rebuild one of these?  Any tips before I tear it apart?

I have a rebuild kit that I bought from NoleenJ6. 

I also found an old manual on the shock.  It seems a bit complicated. 

I was also considering switching to the 03-04 Fox shock.  I've read that I need a new rear triangle to do this.  Does anyone know specifically what is different?  I'm wondering if I can modify or make up a part to be able to adapt the Fox shock to my frame.  I havent been able to find any good pictures of the Fox parts to try and figure it out.

Any hints and help that can be provided is appreciated!!

Thanks!
Vexableman