Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 10:09:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25
25 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Shocks for 856  (Read 5011 times)

Ozymandis

• Novice
Shocks for 856
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:02:33 pm »
looks pretty tidy and original(see the original cantilever brakes!).Some of the last models of x56 were upgraded tp gdt and even noleen shocks to help clear old stock before(sometimes after) the x57's were released

Which Noleen shock fit the x56?  They weren't the same as the x57s because they changed the frame that year, right?

Those springs are oil-damped right?  I wonder where I could get replacement springs aside from Rapid Descent... not sure if I'd want to invest in the Risse shocks.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Shocks for 856
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:48:12 pm »
looks pretty tidy and original(see the original cantilever brakes!).Some of the last models of x56 were upgraded tp gdt and even noleen shocks to help clear old stock before(sometimes after) the x57's were released

Which Noleen shock fit the x56?  They weren't the same as the x57s because they changed the frame that year, right?

Those springs are oil-damped right?  I wonder where I could get replacement springs aside from Rapid Descent... not sure if I'd want to invest in the Risse shocks.
The Noleen was fitted with an aluminum cone end to the x57 (long)series strut, and the ODS and GDT shocks would fit them with a compression cone over the straight steel shaft. As far as I know, all three shocks would fit either bikes as long as the tapers matched.

Keep poking around for a spring, one will turn up. If you know the spring rating, that would help.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:50:15 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Shocks for 856
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:07:44 am »
i beleive the x57 nollen will fit the x56.
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Shocks for 856
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:09:56 am »
i beleive the x57 nollen will fit the x56.
I am confident the Noleen will also. I think NoleenJ6 still offers new shocks for sale that would fit 856 and 957.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
Shocks for 856
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03:13 am »
incorrect.

they made a special shortened Noleen NR2 for Proflex X-series special editions (based on the 856) and for 956 owners who wanted to upgrade.  It will be difficult to find one now because they need regular servicing and are nitrogen charged.  I know that the guy in the UK who did them went out of business.  he was also the risse distributor so we lost 2 with one stone.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

Ozymandis

• Novice
Shocks for 856
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:30 pm »
incorrect.

they made a special shortened Noleen NR2 for Proflex X-series special editions (based on the 856) and for 956 owners who wanted to upgrade.  It will be difficult to find one now because they need regular servicing and are nitrogen charged.  I know that the guy in the UK who did them went out of business.  he was also the risse distributor so we lost 2 with one stone.

callum
rds

So we can no longer get Risse shocks for these bikes?

I read on Google that a Stratos shock will work.  Not sure which model, though.  They look pretty heavy.

DugB

• Master
Re: Shocks for 856
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:39:55 am »
The like-new 856 I picked up a could weeks ago had coil-over Noleens standard. The rear shock has an hourglass-shaped spacer between the strut top and the shock bottom.
5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2
a very understanding wife

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 03:33:16 pm »
The like-new 856 I picked up a could weeks ago had coil-over Noleens standard. The rear shock has an hourglass-shaped spacer between the strut top and the shock bottom.
Why is there a spacer for the Noleen.? Is it because the shock is too short, or is there not a tapered hole in the strut? My 856 had a tapered strut, and an ODS shock with a taper sleeve. I was able to bolt an Nr4 straight away.

I am missing the boat here(as I tend to). Make me understand this. ???
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 12:08:05 am »

I read on Google that a Stratos shock will work.  Not sure which model, though.  They look pretty heavy.
yes,just ask for the risse to fit an 856 complete with a freedom adapter
kiwi proflex rider

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:10:12 am »
incorrect.

callum
rds
you sure about that callum...my original friction shock as 210 eye to cone end....i know the had a short noleen for the small x bikes bu  other than that i though the eye to end were the same for x55,x56 and x57 shocks....
kiwi proflex rider

Ozymandis

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 12:22:14 am »

yes,just ask for the risse to fit an 856 complete with a freedom adapter

I think I might just go this route and get a new XC fork too.  I'll try to contact Risse this week.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 12:42:47 pm »
Stratos made the "Strata" shock that fitted the 856.  great shock, I think they went out of business years ago.

Risse are still in business, but the UK distributor has gone.  They make a very good Genesis shock.

I was very certain that the NR4 that was available for the x56, 96 Beast and Animal and X-series bikes was shorter than the 97 x57 versions....  if you are really sure, then it could have just been for the 14" frame that the short shock was made for.  I can't find any mention of it in the old Girvin docs that I was given a few years ago.

ands also, I'm reasonably sure that one customer of mine found it hard to make it fit under the seatpost - although its easy enough to shortern the seat post.

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 03:29:06 pm »
Stratos made the "Strata" shock that fitted the 856.  great shock, I think they went out of business years ago.

callum
Funny you mentioned Strata. I have a Stratos Strata on one of my bikes. I found a working Phone # and called it recently.

The company is very close to shutting it's doors but not yet. The only guy left, Mike(I assume the owner) will rebuild any Stratos product built.
What happened is they came out with the ID fork cartridge that can upgrade Rockshox forks. Specialized sued, as it mimicked the Brain shocks, and basically ran Stratos down.

So if you have a Stratos shock, he can rebuild it rather reasonably. Phone #805-966-2509.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 06:17:10 pm »
i know that there IS a different shock for the small or 14 frames...we need soeone with a x57 and an x56 to see if they can swao de srear shocks
kiwi proflex rider

Ozymandis

• Novice
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 07:25:48 pm »
Trying to figure out whether I want to try to get the Rapiddescent COR springs that are just in, or get a Risse shock.  Risse should be lighter, although more expensive, and since I don't know how soon my ODS might need rebuilt they should definitely last longer.  I have rode an air shock on my friend's Trek and found it a little harsh.  Are the Risse Genesis shocks on an 856 real plush, or can they be, I should ask?

I finally got a chance to ride my bike and it felt very familiar, just like my old 656 but a little nicer, great condition.  However, the springs are too light for me I think, too much sag.  It's not bottoming out but I haven't hit any real drops yet either.  I'm going to definitely going replace the shock, and I also want a XC fork.  What's a good one that's light but not wallet-breaking?