Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:21:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24
24 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 5500 rebuild, what do I need to know  (Read 5044 times)

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
5500 rebuild, what do I need to know
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:35:56 pm »
Hey guys.
Ok, I thought this had posted already but I guess not.  I am feeling the need to tear completely rebuild my 5500 and I have been going through the archives.  As far as the frameset goes I see I need kits: RK004, RK006, and RK008.  Also, Simon, how much does your cartrdge conversion cost (I'm in the US)?  Is there anything else I need to know (other than the quadring/swing arm spreading technique)?  Is there a general procedure written some where.  It may be a while before I can get all the matierials gathered but I want to know what I'm in for.
Thanks,
Rich
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: 5500 rebuild, what do I need to know
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:01:35 pm »
Hey guys.
Ok, I thought this had posted already but I guess not.  I am feeling the need to tear completely rebuild my 5500 and I have been going through the archives.  As far as the frameset goes I see I need kits: RK004, RK006, and RK008.  Also, Simon, how much does your cartrdge conversion cost (I'm in the US)?  Is there anything else I need to know (other than the quadring/swing arm spreading technique)?  Is there a general procedure written some where.  It may be a while before I can get all the matierials gathered but I want to know what I'm in for.
Thanks,
Rich

Email sent

while your at it

keep an eye on the seat post insert these are known to come loose and even snap (I and Sprucey have both had these snap),had some made and re bonded in .
check the bonded in inserts in the swingarm as these do work loose.
And check the swingarm pivot in the frame as you would of read about in the pivot of doom post.
Make sure the headset cups are a good and tight fit in the frame these can spin in the frame insert, avoid regular
removal of the cups. Get a high quality unit that will last a long time.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:52:40 pm »
i'll be the first one to say that you should lube things up as good a practice (head set, main pivot jiffy lube, crosslink joints etc.) but beyond that,
i also learned and come to realization that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

is something not right with the bike or are you just wanting to take it down to the bone?

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:20:03 pm »
i'll be the first one to say that you should lube things up as good a practice (head set, main pivot jiffy lube, crosslink joints etc.) but beyond that,
i also learned and come to realization that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, I know.  :-\

is something not right with the bike or are you just wanting to take it down to the bone?

OP

Short story yes, but here's the long story.
I bought this frameset used in '02 right before my ship pulled out for the gulf, and it didn't get built until the summer '03.  It appears to be well taken care of by a small rider.  It did not really get ridden much until last year where I rode it up here in Maine single track accouple times a week all fall, and did the one collegent race.  I am 6'2 and am anywhere from 215 to 230lbs.  I plan on racing in the Maine series this summer, and the collegent series this fall.  So probablly only 7 races, give or take, but also all the training to go with that.  I have not been good about lubing the the fork or swing arm (at all) and rebuild kits should be drying up soon.  I want to give it a good going over and fine tuning for the race season to come.  Also, it creeks something horrible.  I also feel a bit of social pressure to keep it in tip top condition because everyone is always trying to tell me how out dated it is (even though it has the same pivot point as my buddy's Santa Cruz Superlight).  Now if I could just afford to have the Fox Float in my Girvin "Push'd".

Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:42:23 pm »
 My Oz creaked like an old wooden floor. Turned out to be the drive side threaded swingarm pivot insert came unbonded. There was this clear glue on it.

I also have a notion that my lower headset cup is loose. I like the FSA orbit extreme deep cup headset, so I may put one in.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 06:18:37 am »
Every now and then, I'll strip a bike down and check out every piece - haven't done it for a while but only because I've been busy and been putting the horse in the barn still wet from the ride.

I'd say go for it -

B.T.W. - the frames are not out dated, the original shocks are.  I'm no longer a big crosslink fan and prefer something more akin to a psylo sl or such. 
The guys that are looking at your frame and saying it's out dated are just looking for an excuse to look at your frame and are searching to find some reason why it's not as good as their newer models that they spend small fortunes to acquire yet work just the same.  Don't pay any attention to them.  It's more about the engine.

Some trail angels commented on my bike the other day when they were taking a break and as I rode by them -
a nice carbon frame is like a warm friendly puppy, can be a real chick magnet.

Take care and good luck on the rebuild -

OP
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:23:09 am by Old Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:37:02 am »
as commented in another pot i used to pull my vector apart and lube(grease) all the pivots(and esp the old black seals) every 3 or 4 weeks
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:14:11 am »
as commented in another pot i used

You comment in a pot? ;D
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)