Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:21:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Need tiny K2/Proflex part  (Read 3119 times)

Oddblob

• Novice
  • Keep your Rembrandt, true art is the 5500 frame...
    • Freeride Heaven
Need tiny K2/Proflex part
« on: June 06, 2003, 12:35:17 pm »
does anybody know a good online place to get(very) small K2 parts?  In particular I'm looking for the little metal bushings that go in the upper shock mount holes on the carbon (5500) frame.  My upper shock bolt broke and one of those bushings disappeared out on the trail somewhere.  Probably a $.05 part, for which K2 will want $3.50, and without it my beautiful <sob, sniff> 5500 is out of commission...

I have my LBS on the case but they are having trouble getting service out of K2 and have warned me that this is the norm.  I looked in the carbon frame parts list on this site but didn't even see the part in quaestion, but without it I bet the shock bolt would quickly ruin the mounting plate and my carbon frame would be headed for the landfill.
Me riding a 5500 is like Bobcat Goldthwait riding Nikki Cox.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Need tiny K2/Proflex part
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 07:46:41 pm »
give k2 a ring direct...not sure of the number mtself but it and a couple of places to try are available in  .....links
kiwi proflex rider

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 12:23:07 am »
I know the part you're talking about.  It is not called out as a separate piecepart since it is considered part of the frame.  If you can get it for $3.50 from K2, do it.  Its not worth the effort not to.  On the other hand, you should be able to find a bushing or eyelet with a shoulder diameter of similar size at a hardware store.  You may have to drill and customize a bit.  Personally, I have gone to a slightly larger grade 8 bolt at the top of the shock.

and, P. S.:  Yes, it absolutely essential to have something in there to transfer the stress into the composite.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 12:25:13 am by GET »
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 03:32:43 am »
Is that a higher grade AND larger bolt?  And if so what did you use to replace the fixed frame bushings/nut?  Or did you drill and tap the existing to fiit the new larger bolt?  Also, for Wade, please keep us updated on how this all pans out for you-Oz owners want to know!
Thanks.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

GET

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 06:57:33 am »
Yes to both.  It is a slightly larger diameter and, since I got it from my auto parts store, it is also english (SAE) thread.  Personally, I just drilled it out and put a nut on it.  For appearance and weight savings, you could tap it.

Just for the record, there is an advantage, of sorts, to keeping a weaker screw there.  We know from experience that it shears before over stressing the carbon fiber plates that hold it.  I went with the stronger bolt because it is a pain to shear it on the trail and I don't think I'm going to break those plates.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 07:14:42 am »
Thanks, also did the Oz start with a grade 6 bolt for the shock mount?  I ask so that I buy correct grade number when I replace/upgrade mine and  I don't know if a 1 is lowest and ten highest or vice versa -the discussion has me concerned especially here in the rocky and bumpy New England area.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

GET

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 07:26:50 am »
Grade 8 is as high as I know, lower number are lower grade.  This is a SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) grading system.  Metrics come in a different grading system.  You can ask at a good auto parts house or good hardware store for compartive ratings.

BTW, I have been riding the grade 8 for over a year now with absolutely no problems.  Our limestone hills and single track through oak-hickory forest offer as much bumping and jarring as I can imagine any terrain could.  Although I don't do any 5-foot flat drops, I do give it a great workout.  Either way, you shouldn't need to be concerned.

Oddblob

• Novice
    • Freeride Heaven
K2 came through
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 11:44:12 am »
In spite of the doubting nature at the lbs, K2 shipped promptly and I now have my parts - took a smidge over a week.  Thanks K2!

-Wade

GET

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 01:33:06 pm »
I think many of us can echo this experience.  [smiley=nod.gif]  K2 has treated me very well.  I am looking forward to many more years on my 5500C (Oz).  In the back of my mind I have this dread that it might meet some sort of catastrophe  [smiley=turtle.gif] and I'll have to look for another bike  [smiley=dead.gif].

Oddblob

• Novice
    • Freeride Heaven
Momma don't take my kodachrome, er, 5500 away...
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 02:00:07 am »
I know what you mean about fearing something will happen to your 5500 (OZ).  I'm currently looking for a 5" travel light-duty freeride frame to handle my increasingly rough treatment.  My theory is that at 40 I've only got about 15 yrs left before I'm too old to jump/drop - so I figure I can ride the more "expendable" frame, slowly build up the 5500 as a light xc bike, and then switch back to it for my golden years!

-Wade [smiley=groucho.gif]