Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 07:27:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
38 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Long rides  (Read 9600 times)

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
Long rides
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:07 am »
Anyone done any long rides?

Or what is the longest ride you have done.  I have rebuilt my 856 to get cycling again, but its mainly for my target of a long ride in August.

Im gradually building up the kit, just got a handlebar bag yesterday. ive got my tent and sleeping bag sorted (ultra lightweight ones)

Ive just swiutched my tyres for nasty looking road tyres (it does give me pain seeing a beautiful proflex sitting on skinny tyres, but the road advantage is undeniable!)

Andy.
1996 856 Red and Yellow (the fastest colour)

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Long rides
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:08:52 am »
in one day it's a measly 40 miles offroad, but it was in the Lake District and took 8 hours because of the terrain!! (A lot of climbing!)
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:54:12 am »
i did the c2c (whitehaven to sunderland) a couple of years ago on my xpx, 157 miles in 2 days, best cycling days ive had so far.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:58:50 pm »
I've done a bunch of long distance multiday rides, mostly on road bikes. but I did a six day 350 mile ride across the Upper Penninsula of Michigan using mostly fire roads, two track and snowmobile trails on a mountain bike. The longest single day ride on my EVO was around forty five miles over dirt roads and three different trail systems. Longest single day ride, 110 miles (road). Longest multiday ride, 510 miles over 7 days (also road). Hardest, 405 miles over four days (road). As soon as I retire, I hope to do some longer ones. A great touring information site is www.crazyguyonabike.com
There is a guy from England riding around the world on a penny farthing!
"Never waste a downhill"

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:42:53 am »
100 km on a mtb metal /gravel road with a few fords,45 km uphill anf then 50 km down the up and  over a another hill in the last 5 km,or 160km round lake taupo on a raod bike...also hilly,no multi day stuff though
kiwi proflex rider

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:27:04 am »
did the polaris last year (7hours one day 5 hours next) - can't remember how far I rode.

normally do between 60 - 80 km on the 3 hour trailquest events, depending on terrain, wind and colleagues ability to keep up! Unfortunately it's never the most efficient kms I ride so I've not won one yet.

Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:32:41 am »
Do we have to talk about this? I'm getting the itch again! Long distance touring is the bomb. (I've only done it on road bikes though). My brother in law is trying to get me to ride the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands this spring. My father in law is organizing a group to do it in one day (103 miles). In the past, I think my longest off-road ride was about 52 miles, but that was on a fully rigid MTB back in about '91!

On the road, I've done 374 miles in 3 days (including my longest single day ride: 151 miles thanks to a misunderstanding by our wives as to where to meet us!)

Most memorable ride (and longest overall) was when I was 17, my best friend and I rode up the Pacific coast starting in northern California and ending up in Canada. 1000 miles in 10 days. Some of the most amazing scenery in the world, and a lot of hills! Amazing how fast your body recovers when you're that young! I used toe-clips with Vans shoes, borrowed a saddle I liked from my $59 Wal-Mart type bike, rode a borrowed 10-speed Bottechia with very high racing gears, and wore tighty-whities under my bike shorts the whole time! Ah the memories!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 02:36:31 pm »
Do we have to talk about this? I'm getting the itch again! Long distance touring is the bomb. (I've only done it on road bikes though). My brother in law is trying to get me to ride the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands this spring. My father in law is organizing a group to do it in one day (103 miles).

wow i hope it not too undulating,thats a big day matno...you gotta do it...start organising the training and time of NOW.....F/S for sure on that ride!
kiwi proflex rider

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54:32 pm »
I have done the White Rim Trail in three days.  Great ride.  Only down side was that it is all dirt road with no singletrack.  If you go, hopefully someone in your group will know where the native American ruins are. They are worth a visit.  The Oz made the journey no sweat. 

A few years ago a bunch from Eugene, Oregon connected a bunch of singletracks into a 40+ mile ride.  It was 90-95% singletrack.  It took a solid 8-hours and was called the Saddleblanket slam.  One of the bike haulers was an Isuzu Trooper with the typical bike rack on top.  Dave, the owner, had also bolted on several front wheel quickrelease holders on the back and sides to hold more bikes.  What a machine .  The ride was epic.  I think I ate an entire pizza after.  It was before my Proflex addiction; I rode a Nishiki Alien. 

Thunderchild
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:36:33 am »
The reason i started this thread is because im planning a UK end to end, provisional date is mid-late august.

The distance varies, but the current route i have will be around 1100miles.  im hoping to do it in two weeks on my 856.  Ive started riding again recently after a very long break and its challenging already. Did a horrible 25miles yesterday in the howling wind, was carrying a little luggage to add weight, but nowhere near what i'll need to carry for the ride.

Im about to start looking for local corporate sponsors.  I get the feeling that the actual ride will be the easy part! its the organising and collecting sponsorship that will be challenging.

Andy.

Keep the stories coming by the way, its good inspiration!

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 02:02:25 am »
wow - 1100 in 14 days on a mountain bike (loaded)! Hope you're going from southwest to northeast so at least generally you'll have a tail wind!
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 02:11:08 am »
Yeah, starting in the south, but not just because of the prevailing winds as many who have done it dont seem to gain that much, in fact ive read a few reports where there has been head winds for a good percentage of the trip.  I guess its just down to luck with how the weather conditions are at the time.

The main reason im going south to north is that i want to be fairly quick on the southern half of the country where i have travelled and seen a lot of, then i can slow down a bit and take in the scenery when i get further north and in to scotland where i have only been a couple of times.

Im just starting to try and get companies on board, starting yesterday with a local bike shop.  Not sure if they will help or not though as the response was luke warm to say the least.

Andy.

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:54:23 am »
Andy
I'm including a link to our clubs website and December News letter. I hope it works. Our club secretary is from England and he wrote up an article on a ride he did from Lands End to John O' Groat. Nice read.
http://www.flyingrhinocc.com/newsletters/NewsletterDec2007.pdf
"Never waste a downhill"

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 09:16:37 am »
Excellent thanks Dave.

Ive been reading loads of online accounts of peoples experiences of this, its great as inspiration (usually).

Im glad im planning it this year and not last year, the summer was a wash out last year.

I'll have a read of the newsletter now...

Andy.

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 10:19:51 am »
any idea of your route andy?  i live in county durham and if you were passing close by i could possibly put you up for the night.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!