Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 01:20:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21
21 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How small is a 'small'?  (Read 4055 times)

Ziggy

• Apprentice
  • Gordon's alive!
How small is a 'small'?
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:12:54 am »
Measurements'd be useful, but I'd really like to know if there's any small people on a small Proflex out there, & how tall you are?!  T'other half's getting into biking, but at 5'0 I'm struggling to find bikes for her, & wondered if it's worth keeping an eye out for a 'flex?

Ta :)
Proflex 856 now complete! :)
Orange P7, Saracen Trekker, Fat Chance Buckshaver, Weak Legs!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: How small is a 'small'?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:29:00 am »
My meaner half is also 5 foot tall. She has very short legs too. I bought her a small 957, and fits fine for her.

Standing she can stradle the top tube and lift the wheel a good 2 to 3 inches off the ground. Trouble is though she likes the seat with the springs on the back, so the seatpost is cut to about 3 inches long, and the clamp is right on the seatstay. With that tall seat and tall spring stance ,and really short top tub,it is difficult for her to move from stradlling the top tube to the saddle. But when seated the bars are in a comfortable place. Bit of a tradeoff, as her hands tend to get numb, so that is good.

So if your other half is lanky, I think she would do fine. Mine is built like "Rosie the Riveter".

Nice thing, since going full suspension, she doe's not dump the bike as often.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:03:21 am »
Consider a Giant Trance XS if you can't find the Proflex.  Friend of mine is around 5 feet.  She rode the smallest GT HT I've ever seen because she couldn't find an FS that would fit.  She oriental so her legs are shorter in comparison to other Caucasian women so stand over is a real bigger issue with her.

The Giant Trance XS is amazingly small.  Feels like a 26" BMX bike when I rode it.  If you look carefully at the picture you can see the top of the seattube which is elevated above the tubetube.  This picture was taken at Whistler so the this bike can handle the Whistler Bike Park.  The only change was to 2.3 tires for better traction on the downhills.

Oh yeah that's not me in the picture.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb165/dawnpatrol_bucket/Whistler%2007-25-07/SANY0003.jpg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:06:59 am by jimbo »

purple gerbil

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 08:13:11 am »
i used to have a 12" offroad master some years back  which my 6 yr old cousin could just ride on tippy toes. and i fitted it with vector forks!! if she dont mind a hardtail what about an old klein they did tiny frames.
THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.

Ziggy

• Apprentice
  • Gordon's alive!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:50 am »
Cheers guys - got a li'l Nishiki on the way from the states, & a potential XS Klein may be available soon...  Just fancy a Proflex too, but no rush.  That Giant looks tiny! :)
Proflex 856 now complete! :)
Orange P7, Saracen Trekker, Fat Chance Buckshaver, Weak Legs!