Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 02:27:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: replace shock on Cross-Link and Girvin Vector 2  (Read 9973 times)

signalMTB

• Apprentice
  • rebuilt K2 4000
replace shock on Cross-Link and Girvin Vector 2
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:35:44 pm »
New here and I know this has been addressed, but I wanted to post to get the latest opinions.  I have a 1998 Noleen Cross-Link ELT with smart shock (electronics still work!) and a 1996 Girvin Vector 2 with melted MCU.  

What's everyone's quick opinion on shock replacement for each:

1.) Noleen Cross-Link ELT with smart shock?
2.) Girvin Vector 2?
'98 K2 4000 FOR SALE!!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: replace shock on Cross-Link and Girvin Vector
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:38:52 pm »
you could possibly get the smart shock serviced by noleen,they may even swap it for a nr1 or nr2,or a risse fits straight up.Someone here has a rise fitted to their crsslink but it took a bit of setting up.You can get MCU still .You may be able to fit a shock with similar lower dimensions  but shorter and use some kind of adapter or (gasp) modify the upper shock mount.
short on specifics I know,but hopefully this will goad some other with real ife experience to post up!
kiwi proflex rider

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:37:35 pm »
you can get replacement MCU's for the vector from www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk if all else fails
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:07:04 am »
I've got a risse on my crosslinks and it worked fine as it came. I was very careful in checking the guy there had understood it was for the front and it works better than the NR it replaced. fit straight in and haven't needed to pump up in about 2000 miles over 7-8 months. Running 120 psi for 180lb rider.

Shovelon had trouble getting his set up, but I think it ended up being something wrong with the way risse had valved it and he got it sorted in the end. That was why I was very careful - to the point of paranoia - checking that the guy knew it was for the front fork.

cheers
Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

signalMTB

• Apprentice
  • rebuilt K2 4000
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:02 pm »
I've got a risse on my crosslinks and it worked fine as it came. I was very careful in checking the guy there had understood it was for the front and it works better than the NR it replaced. fit straight in and haven't needed to pump up in about 2000 miles over 7-8 months. Running 120 psi for 180lb rider.

Shovelon had trouble getting his set up, but I think it ended up being something wrong with the way risse had valved it and he got it sorted in the end. That was why I was very careful - to the point of paranoia - checking that the guy knew it was for the front fork.

cheers
Ade

So did you send it off to be fitted?  Which Risse did you fit?  What was the i2i length?  
'98 K2 4000 FOR SALE!!

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:36:11 pm »
Rang up risse and asked for a genesis for the front of a 957. Chap there (Josh) on phone knew all about it, explained it was valved different for the front and recommended the pressure for my weight.

Arrived, straight swap into the fork in back yard. Job done. Don't know the i2i 'cos its made as a direct replacement.
Photo of it in a vector from their website here:
http://www.risseracing.com/applications/images/girvin.jpg

cheers
Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
thats it...I knew someone had trouble but its good to know that Risse can (and Have) got it working properly.
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 03:29:35 am »
thats it...I knew someone had trouble but its good to know that Risse can (and Have) got it working properly.

Yes, that was me. Both genesis shocks for the vector 2 and crosslink had problems with a bleed system according to Josh. On the last go around, he solved the issue. The Vector 2 shock works very well and is mounted on my 956. The crosslink shock I am still unhappy with, but is as good as it will get. I gave up on it, I will eventually transfer to the rear where the valving will be better suited.

Word to the wise. If to be mounted on the front, ask for valving to be for 9 year old girl. If too soft(never TOO soft) you can add heavier oil yourself.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

signalMTB

• Apprentice
  • rebuilt K2 4000
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:07 am »
My SmartShock on my CrossLink works great.  I 've had absolutely no trouble at all.  I want to replace it only to shave some weight.  If anyone wants to trade for a comparable shock, please let me know.

sjones_sc@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:07:48 am by signalMTB »
'98 K2 4000 FOR SALE!!

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 11:19:22 am »
I keep posting but no one seems to care that I have a 200mm Fox Float RL on both the front and rear.  I am 220 lbs so the heavier dampening (where it is a rear shock on the front) doesn't affect me much.  I had adapters made, and had to have the USM milled a little to clear the valve.  I run 45psi in the front, and had to back the rebout dampening all the way soft to keep it from throwing me over the front.  I would like to send it to Push to get it custome valved.  I feel that right now it is at 90% of what I need it to be or what it could be with some dampening changes.  I love them and the shocks dropped a ton of weight.  I can actually get my machinist to make you a set of adapters.  The new version of what I have are the RP23's I think.  I don't know if this shock will clear all the linkage or not.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 12:31:06 pm »
I keep posting but no one seems to care that I have a 200mm Fox Float RL on both the front and rear.  I am 220 lbs so the heavier dampening (where it is a rear shock on the front) doesn't affect me much.  I had adapters made, and had to have the USM milled a little to clear the valve.  I run 45psi in the front, and had to back the rebout dampening all the way soft to keep it from throwing me over the front.  I would like to send it to Push to get it custome valved.  I feel that right now it is at 90% of what I need it to be or what it could be with some dampening changes.  I love them and the shocks dropped a ton of weight.  I can actually get my machinist to make you a set of adapters.  The new version of what I have are the RP23's I think.  I don't know if this shock will clear all the linkage or not.

I would like to see a pic of how you have the shock mounted in the front.

I think there is a travel limit on the vector. My risse only has about 1 inch of travel.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:44:10 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 01:13:45 pm »
I finally borrowed a decent camera and took pics.  I took a lot because I suck with a camera, bu there are a few good ones in there.  When I rebuild everything this winter (I say that every winter) I will take pics of all the individual peices.  

http://www.flickr.com/gp/16675643@N08/5HG0QK

Enjoy, :D

P.S.  It's dirty and it messed up some of the photos.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 10:34:43 am »
Your right leg, top pivot, appears to be missing a bolt.  You were working on it at the time of pictures I hope!
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 11:08:50 am »
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 02:37:58 pm »

Yeah, that could be a problem!:-)

That is how you mounted to the crosslink. Nice. Good to know there is a shock that fits well to the crosslink.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS