Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 05:20:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17
17 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New mountain biker!  (Read 4585 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
New mountain biker!
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:15:31 pm »
But it's gonna be a while before he can ride with this proud dad... Announcing the birth of Collin Thomas Green this morning at 1:11am Eastern Daylight Time. 7 lbs, 12 oz. Looks like he belongs on a mountain bike!

And on another MTB related note, does anyone have any experience with Marzocchi forks of the past couple of years? Haven't seen anybody riding one in a LONG time, but they have the most good reviews on MTBR. Haven't ridden any myself, so I'm wondering why if they get such good reviews that I don't see them or hear about them... (Specifically interested in all-mountain forks in the 4-6 inch travel range).  

K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: New mountain biker!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:08:17 am »
congrats!

Re Marzocchi's - have only had pre 2003 so can't speak...
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

willem

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:16:28 am »
CONGRATS big daddy!
(Where did you find the time? Must be married to an angel...)

All I can say about Zokes is I regret giving up my Z1's. They were smooth, stiff, and rugged as heck. They were reasonable light for a 2001'ish model, too.

Berry berry nice air sprung forks indeed.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:41:25 am »
Announcing the birth of Collin Thomas Green this morning at 1:11am Eastern Daylight Time. 7 lbs, 12 oz. Looks like he belongs on a mountain bike!

And on another MTB related note,

Matt,

ARE YOU KIDDING :-) ME???  I know you are in the profession, but you just attended the greatest show on earth! How was it like seeing Mount Vesuviuous(spelling?) erupt, and you just have to stand there and wait for whatever? And you switch to MARZOOCCHI? HA!

Congrats to you, and welcome to the club Collin Thomas, and job well done Mom!

Good Times ahead my man!
Terry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:41:52 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Tel

• Journeyman
  • My cycling buddys
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:41:54 am »
Hey Matno, well done to you and your partner mate, have you stopped crying yet? when we had my little boy Robin I could`nt look at him and talk to anyone at the same time for 2 weeks without bursting into tears.
As usual though I know nothing about the question, one day someone is going to ask a question about some crap no one else cares about and I`ll be in there with the answer. Im still waitng!
All the best Matno, Tel.
Never whistle through your teeth with a mouthfull of blancmange

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:50 am »
all the best from me too matt, took my 11yr old out for his first proper off road ride at the weekend, now he wants me to buy him a bike!!  more expense!!
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

rightturnclyde

• Novice
  • My own worst enemy
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 04:16:25 pm »
Congrats on the little one, Matno. Let us know just when you start putting aside a frame and swapped -out parts for the bike you're gonna build for him...You know you've already thought about it.....You'll probably even justify some purchases to upgrade your bike, just because you dont want HIS bike to be shoddy.

If anyone has an 856 in Way Small- let Matno know. He'll be shopping for one in about 6 months (lol)

Good Luck In Fatherhood- Keith
I'm running out of time to do the things I'll never do.

jimbo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 11:41:58 am »
Congrat!!!!! How many do you have?  I watch John & Kate plus 8 on the Discovery Heath channel and it boogles my mind.

Marzocchi air ATA forks seem to have some issues.

Marzocchi coils are always good.  I've got an 05' Z1 FR3 and 06' 888 RC2 and they are plush.  The older Marzocchi's axle to crowns were always too tall.  The newer models are more in line with the rest of industry.

I know you wanted a 6" max but the newer 66 are really sweet.  Half the guys I ride with have them.  I also saw them all over Whistler when I was there.

The 2005 and older can be adusted to 6" of travel by moving spacers.  I'm not sure about the 07' 66.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:24:14 pm by jimbo »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:30:34 pm »
treasure the time yoou can spend with yr new son Matno...the next thing he will be 16 and you will wonder where the time went!
kiwi proflex rider

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:57:41 am »
Congrats Matno!  Do you have a kid trailer yet?  Post pictures of the adpater you make to hitch it to the 5000!

I have three Marzocchis.  They are all coil/oil.  I have stayed away from air shocks.  The newest is a 2002 that I bought new in 2003 and put on my Oz.  It has been on the Oz for about 5000-6000 miles(see the gloater post).  Even though this model has the required brake boss bolts, I like it so much that I bought a second one on Ebay.  Both forks are working well.  Seals last a long time.  I will assume the seals on the new Marzocchis fork have to be as good or better.  The lockout on my 2002 Bombers is basically a real slow damper.  Both lock outs still work.  

Thunderchild
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:15:55 am »
Congrats Matno :)  

As far as marzocchi's go - that is all I have ever bought untill I found the minute:3 for $250 shipped.  I read all of the reviews and it looks like I won't be sorry I bought it.  The bad stuff about marzocchi - over the past few years '06/ '07 I have heard bad things about their air forks - seals blowing/ cartridges self destructing... the coil/ oil forks are still reliable.  I would spend some time looking through the www.mtbr.com reviews and search ebay. Good luck with the fork hunting. ;)
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
Disc conversion complete (thanks to Matno) :)
My Gallery

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 06:03:30 am »
mat forgot to ask, hows your mom now after the scare last year?

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 01:51:42 pm »
Congrats Matno!  Do you have a kid trailer yet?  Post pictures of the adpater you make to hitch it to the 5000!

Haha! Funny you should mention that. I DO have a trailer (this is child number 4, but first boy), and I DID make an adaptor for my 5000! Basically, I used the wheel strap from a Yakima roof rack ($10) which wraps around the carbon swingarm nicely (using the included pads intended to grip skinny road bike wheels). Been using it that way for 6 years now without a hitch! (No pun intended...)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 01:53:10 pm »
mat forgot to ask, hows your mom now after the scare last year?

Thanks for asking. Amazingly, she is 100% better. Not a single residual symptom (although she was a bit shaky for a good 6 months afterwards). Now, not only is she better, but she bought a K2 Zed with a crosslink fork and has been riding it regularly! (She lives in Utah). NICE. (My dad also bought a nice Kona so they can ride together...)

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 06:55:36 pm »
really glad to hear that, thats good news. bet theyre as excited as you are about the new arrival.