Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 01:13:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
22 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Keep OZ or...get shiny new yeti 575..intense 5.5..  (Read 6421 times)

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
Re: Keep OZ or...get shiny new yeti 575..intense 5
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 05:39:30 am »
 Did my own rear disc adaptor - pics and diagrams are in my gallery. I think it's a fantastic design - very smooth, and it's been rock solid for about 5 years now. No holes drilled in my dropouts either.  

I looked through your gallery - the carbon adapter looks sweet !!!  You wouldn't happen to have the aluminum adapter or any templates lying around would you?  I live close by - CT.  I can paypal you some gratitude (I don't know if shipping beer is a good idea ) for any help. :)
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
Disc conversion complete (thanks to Matno) :)
My Gallery

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 11:28:14 am »

Highly recommend the Swinger 3-way. I did have to modify the swingarm a tad, but you probably won't have to with a carbon frame because you can mount the shock the other way around (I think). I've had a SmartShock, Risse Astro-5, Stratos Helix Pro, and now the Swinger. The Swinger is definitely the winner in overall ride improvement for my type of riding. (Aggressive trail riding). The Stratos was a little smoother in the rough, but the Swinger is much more efficient in the climbs. The Astro-5 actually feels pretty similar (still have it on my wife's bike), but without the SPV (which makes a noticeable difference on rough climbs)....
Without a doubt.

I started with a coil swinger on my oz and was stunned at the improvement. Now I have graduated to the air swingers. The only mod I did was grind a small flat on the taper of the body where it likes to rub the rib of the frame.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 05:57:02 pm »
I looked through your gallery - the carbon adapter looks sweet !!!  You wouldn't happen to have the aluminum adapter or any templates lying around would you?  I live close by - CT.  I can paypal you some gratitude (I don't know if shipping beer is a good idea ) for any help. :)

If the gallery were still up and running, you'd be able to see my comment that says the carbon adapter isn't mine, just a pic I added to my gallery so I'd know where to find it! However, I do have a carbon adapter - but it requires drilling holes in the dropouts. The aluminum one is still on my bike. Decided I didn't want to drill my dropouts either. The carbon one I have was made by Dom, who used to post on this forum. Looks just like a Hammerhead adapter, but made of carbon. Pretty sweet. I'd send it to you if you're willing to drill.

If you don't want to drill dropouts, I have a pic in my gallery that I used as a template:
http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/matno/Scaled_Dropout_Drillpoints.jpg
(On my printer, it prints out exactly the right size to trace onto your actual adapter and drill the holes, but that may vary from printer to printer). Of course, you have to make your own adaptor, since the pic is only of the dropout and the location of the mounting holes. I used 1/4" aluminum plate for mine. Cost me $10 from a machine shop. (Shoulda been free...)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 07:30:32 am »
I do have a carbon adapter - but it requires drilling holes in the dropouts. The aluminum one is still on my bike. Decided I didn't want to drill my dropouts either. The carbon one I have was made by Dom, who used to post on this forum. Looks just like a Hammerhead adapter, but made of carbon. Pretty sweet. I'd send it to you if you're willing to drill.  

I am at a point where I am ready to drill the dropouts - or at least have an option to drill.  Matno - do you want to send me a pm and I will send you $$ for the adapter?  Also - Not knowing anything about disc brakes - do i need to stick with a 6" rotor out back or can I use a 7" ?  I looked on ebay for deals - some are with f&r 6", some are f&r 7".

Thanks.   :)
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
Disc conversion complete (thanks to Matno) :)
My Gallery