Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 01:14:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37
37 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Keep OZ or...get shiny new yeti 575..intense 5.5..  (Read 6422 times)

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
Keep OZ or...get shiny new yeti 575..intense 5.5..
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:50:16 am »
I put my OZ up on ebay - because I wasn't using it and I thought if I did start to use it allot replacement parts would be hard to come by (especially that swingarm)  I also thought it would be cool to have a newer bike with spv, tubeless, and discs ;) My question to the group is "What would you do?"  Should I get a new disc only fork, new wheelset, disc brakes (and a swingarm adapter) and just ride it until it falls apart or try and sell just the frame and part out the rest?  The auction ended around the $800 mark - I thought the bike was worth more than that.  Here is a link to the auction:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160154419935&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Links to pics:
As it sits now for the sale...
http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b4/42/f5be_3.JPG

As it used to be (still have all of the parts)
http://01s_3mta3.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/k22.jpg
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:59:38 am by asylum_inc »
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
Disc conversion complete (thanks to Matno) :)
My Gallery

rightturnclyde

• Novice
  • My own worst enemy
Re: Keep OZ or...get shiny new yeti 575..intense 5
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:00:06 am »
It is common knowledge that if you don't ride it you generally won't brake it. So don't worry about that swingarm. The expert opinion here will back me up. They've NEVER had a swingarm break due to dust contamination. I also have discovered (thanks to my wife pointing it out) that if you don't ride it AND you upgrade it, it won't perform any differently.

I say Keep the OZ, ride it more and dont get married.

((insert winking smiley face here))
I'm running out of time to do the things I'll never do.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:06:07 am »
Tough call. I've been seriously debating doing something very similar... However, I think my decision is going to be dictated more by budget constraints than by desires! My K2 already has discs, so that's not an issue. I still love the way it rides, so changing to something different makes me wary. However, the few times I have ridden other, newer bikes, I've been very impressed. The overall feel may not be much of an improvement, but after riding them, I always notice how significant the flex in the carbon swingarm is. I'd like something stiffer.

As for what I would replace it with, that's a tough question. I would love a C'dale Prophet (stiff, light, and I LOVE the Lefty Max fork). Also seriously considering a SC Blur LT or something similar.

For what it's worth, one of my buddies has both an Intense 6.6 and 5.5. He's been riding the 5.5 lately because his 6.6 had a warranty issue, but he's dying to get back on the 6.6. Says it's better in every way - including climbing. Interesting opinion. He's one of the best riders I know, if that makes a difference. (Then again, he also had his 6.6 set up as a single speed, and is still lamenting the fact that he had to add a rear derailleur due to the suspension).

The Oz sure is a beautiful frame, but there's a good chance that it may NEVER fall apart, so you could be stuck if you're waiting for that to happen! I've been riding the same K2 for 8 years now, but one of these days I'm going to switch to the "always new" plan like my brother in law. He buys new bikes every year at least once (either barely used or new through connections or just finding good deals...) then sells them while they're still relatively new (1 year old). Essentially, he upgrades to the latest and greatest every year at a cost of about $100-200 per year. Not bad. He's had about 18 high-end mountain and road bikes since I've known him! (Currently lives in Moab and is riding a Titus Racer-X, which he swears is the best he's ever had - at least on Moab trails. Then again, he also races...)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

keith

• Apprentice
  • slow down its not a race
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:45 am »
Seems you've hardly used it at all,reading your ebay description your happier on your road bike.Best bet would be to parcel it up and send it to me, and I'll worry about it braking

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:36:35 am »
I was always happier on my mountian bike - road was allot more plentiful where I moved to than woods.  I moved back close to home where I know the parks and trails.  Just looking for opinions if I should upgrade with... swinger rear shock, tubeless, discs, longer travel fork (basically a new bike) or just sell this one and get a new bike.  I want to get back into mtn biking and I love disc brakes now...

Matno - your comment on the Blur - a bike mechanic I know told me he replaces bearings/ bushings on SC SL's, then specialized FSR's, then Blur's - everything else is less maintenance.  That is part of the reason for my yeti/ 5.5 debate - he has yet to replace a set of bearings in either of those bikes...  

Thanks for the replies guys...  :)
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
My Gallery

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:24 am »
Well, ebay gave you a second chance to keep it, since the reserve was not met.
You have now some time to think and maybe ride it a little more. I bet if you sell it next year the value you will get will be almost the same.
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:56:38 am »
You're asking the collective on this site if they would sell their Oz!!!???...

Thunderchild
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:28:30 am by thunderchild »
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:56:47 am »
A bike mechanic I know told me he replaces bearings/ bushings on SC SL's, then specialized FSR's, then Blur's - everything else is less maintenance.  That is part of the reason for my yeti/ 5.5 debate - he has yet to replace a set of bearings in either of those bikes...

True. My buddy who used to manage the LBS said the same thing about Blurs. He said almost all of them came back in within a year, squeaking like crazy every time the pivots moved... On the other hand, he did say the ride was awesome.

The guys I ride with who have Intense and Yeti frames certainly do love them. (And I ride with guys who have a LOT of money, so it's not just because they spent a lot so they have to justify it!) Haven't seen a 575 on the trail, but I've drooled over them online. My buddy who rides the 5.5 & 6.6 says they climb amazingly well (and he does all of it in a single 32-17 gear!) I'm assuming the downhill ride is awesome too since he regularly does 5-6 foot drops and makes it look easy! We also ride some REALLY rough trails with lots of "cabbage head" rocks and roots, and this guy FLIES downhill...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

willem

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:48:34 am »
Okay... a wise man once said "The power to rationalize is infinite."

That being said, listen very carefully to MATNO. You MUST buy the Yeti.

Then sell me your OZ. Cheap. Now. Free shipping.

I am willing to relieve all your decision making stress.

Rest easy my friend.

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:57:43 am »
OK OK - Stop the beatings !!! :)  I am going to keep the bike.  I do want to freshen it up a bit though.  Would a swinger in the rear ( I know how that sounds ) and something like a minute:3 make sense?  Anybody have any experience with manitou minute fork?  I have always stuck with zokes in the past.  Anybody here making disc adapters for the carbon swingarms? I would prefer to not have to drill into the dropout if necessary. Avid cable discs ok? Now starts a project !! I like !!  ;)
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
My Gallery

rightturnclyde

• Novice
  • My own worst enemy
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:36:55 am »
Well, ebay gave you a second chance to keep it, since the reserve was not met.
You have now some time to think and maybe ride it a little more. I bet if you sell it next year the value you will get will be almost the same.

Ahh, Yes Grasshopper...The e-Bay Works in mysterious ways....The e-Bay can giveth, and just as easily, the e-Bay can taketh away-eth.
You have always known the path, my son. You just needed to true your wheels......
I'm running out of time to do the things I'll never do.

wylyman

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:28:24 am »
You can make an adapter yourself with simple tools and a little aluminum plate.  A simple washer plate on the disk side of the dropout eliminates the need to drill the dropout.  I debated the same myself and pretty happy with the bike now that it has disk brakes and a risse genesis shock.  The avid bb7 is definately an awesome brake.  Would recommend not using the cable stops when running new cable housing to your rear disk.  Just zip tie it to your frame.  Mine drags alot from the interupted housing.  
98' K2 4000 bloody red'n carbon swingarm

willem

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 02:01:05 pm »
The wylyman speaks the truth.
BB7's are THE brakes. I say go for a ride while the others bleed their brakes!
The disk adapter is best seen in Simon's gallery - among many others. Jeffhop has his old OZ, so you can see it there as well.

jimbo

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:07:21 pm »

As for what I would replace it with, that's a tough question. I would love a C'dale Prophet (stiff, light, and I LOVE the Lefty Max fork). Also seriously considering a SC Blur LT or something similar.

Hey Matno, the Prophet is a great bike.  I've got a Fox RP3 with an .25 inch additional stroke on mine so I'm getting 160mm of travel instead of 145mm.  I don't care for the Lefty but that's just me.  I've got a Z1 on it for now but probably stick my Vanilla on it soon.  

I'd love to get a VPP or similar bike too but riding conditions in Hawaii make them poor choices.  First the amount of wet weather riding plays havoc on the bearings.  My old Evo use to give me fits with the crunchy bearings.  The second reason is the type of mud we have.  It just packs up.  I went DHing on my Judge with some friends one day after it rained.  I was the only one who rode all the way down without stopping.  My friends including one with a VP Free all came to a screeching halt after their back tires locked up from the mud packing up.  I was the only one who wanted to go for more runs but they all gave me the stink eye.

My old Evo was great for the day but the newer bikes with different geometries, shocks that are tuned to specific suspension designs and softer suspension compression rates (negative rise) definitely make riding more fun.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 04:05:50 am »
Would a swinger in the rear ( I know how that sounds ) and something like a minute:3 make sense?  Anybody have any experience with manitou minute fork?  I have always stuck with zokes in the past.  Anybody here making disc adapters for the carbon swingarms? I would prefer to not have to drill into the dropout if necessary. Avid cable discs ok? Now starts a project !! I like !!  ;)

Now you're talking good stuff... Part of the reason I love my K2 so much is that I've modified it myself so many times...

Did my own rear disc adaptor - pics and diagrams are in my gallery. I think it's a fantastic design - very smooth, and it's been rock solid for about 5 years now. No holes drilled in my dropouts either.

Highly recommend the Swinger 3-way. I did have to modify the swingarm a tad, but you probably won't have to with a carbon frame because you can mount the shock the other way around (I think). I've had a SmartShock, Risse Astro-5, Stratos Helix Pro, and now the Swinger. The Swinger is definitely the winner in overall ride improvement for my type of riding. (Aggressive trail riding). The Stratos was a little smoother in the rough, but the Swinger is much more efficient in the climbs. The Astro-5 actually feels pretty similar (still have it on my wife's bike), but without the SPV (which makes a noticeable difference on rough climbs). Don't know about the Minute fork, but I've been keeping an eye out for one myself. Seems like a good thing. I've always liked Manitou's forks more than any others. I still have my old X-vert with TPC+ damping, and it's great. (The TPC+ damping was licensed and used in the - in my opinion - best version of the Lefty Max). I'm not sure if I'd like the SPV damping quite as much in a fork as I do in the rear... Never was much of a zocchi fan...

Oh, and you can't go wrong with Avid mechanical discs. They just plain work and feel good to boot. I run full length housing on mine, which I highly recommend. (I also do that for my rear derailleur). I just drilled out the cable stops on my frame...