Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2024, 04:13:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12
12 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How do you replace a Proflex?  (Read 8430 times)

BigGuy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How do you replace a Proflex?
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:07:09 pm »
I found this site recently after regaining my love for my bike again.  It is so cool to see that the Proflex has such a strong following still, and now that I have recently been getting back into bikes I appreciate how something over a decade old can still keep up with the new stuff.  

Anyway, my Proflex 853 was stolen on Friday, after all these years of loving it, then taking it for granted, and then loving it again.  I was actually planning to take some photos to put on the site, especially since it was still pretty stock and in great shape (including it's weakest link--the original Proforx front suspension).

So now I am back in the game for a new mountain bike.  Any recommendations?  It looks like the Santa Cruz Superlights have a similar design to the old Proflex, with the pivot point up on the seat tube, but I don't know if I want to throw down $2Gs for that.  Maybe I should go with another 90's MTB.  What do you think?

Also, if any of you see a posting for an 853 for sale, please forward it to me.  I can rattle off a list of special things about the bike that would prove that it is mine. I have never seen another 853 in person, so they cannot be too common, especially with some of the old-school little addons I had on it.  I live in San Francisco in case that helps.

Thanks, and keep on riding the old school!

-Dave

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: How do you replace a Proflex?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:20:51 pm »
sorry to hear about your bike being stolen... why not get a 'newer' Proflex - an 856/857 or one of the carbon ones? They come up regularly on Ebay or here for sale.

If you're into old bikes try www.retrobike.co.uk - there's a whole bunch of us into that there!!

good luck and keep the faith!
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:08:59 pm »
get an oz or a 957
kiwi proflex rider

IMO

• Apprentice
  • if it aint broke.- you aint tryin
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:23:32 am »
Yep, i reckon to keep with the individuality, and update by a few years of developement an OZ is the way to go. I like my 656, but love my OZ. HArd to beat, but  if you have to go new Its a Scott Genius mc50 , lockouts, nice kit on em, and light too.
The downside of every climb is in the upside

BigGuy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:54:27 am »
Thanks for the recs guys.  I love the newer Proflexes, and the old elastomer on the 853 was always a little bit weak.  I'll be looking for a nice '56/'57 or the OZ.  In fact, I found this one for sale in LA:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/364398514.html

Carbon everything--crazy.

I don't think it will fit me though (I'm 6'4").

BTW, I *might* still have my box of old parts that were original on the 853.  If I find them I will post them here since they would be almost brand new and 100% correct for the bike.

Peace,
Dave

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:34:43 am »
I'd be interested in some of those bits maybe as I have a 753
'95 855

willem

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:47:57 am »
BigGuy,

Well... I've finally run out of storage space... and I've got 2 856's here in Texas.
If you're interested in a way big 856, I'd consider an offer.
There are pictures in the gallery, it's the natural aluminum (silver) 856.
Alex TDI rims
Front & Rear disk brakes (welded in back)
Conti XC tires (Explorers?)
LX-585 crankset (w/ ext. BB)
XT Front der (Older version) converted to top pull (very unique!)
XT Rear der. (Older version)
Manitou QR-4 rear air shock. Runs @ 75psi for 2:1 travel:stroke for 3.9" actual travel.
Noleen mega air fork (or a Vector 2 converted to ODS with a spring & with disk mounts.)
WTB seat

Lots of great stuff on the bike, but haven't ridden it since I finished my single speeder.

Let me know if you're interested. I'd probably let 'er go at cost, or so.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:14:37 am »
The Oz would be too small, you need a WayBig size.

Nothing wrong with a Superlight, SC makes a sturdier trail bike....can't think of the name at the moment, but that might be up your alley as well.

A k2 4000 in WayBig

A WC Pro~flex) frame only if you would have a Riesse shock on the back (IMHO)...something other than an NR-1/2/4

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 07:25:50 am »
I'm probably going to get in trouble here but...

the number one replacement for a proflex is an Orange.  My wife bought me an orange 5 for my birthday and this is an awesome bike.  It is where Proflex would have gone had they stayed in business - it is a single pivot bike with the same pivot point as the 97 bikes (857, 957 etc) but with 5" of travel and a suberp - well built and "it just works" attitude.

I am going places I have never been on a proflex with the orange.

The santa cruz is not really any good for scotland (my trails) because the bottom bracket is way too low and you will suffer a lot of pedal strikes.  Also, we've had 2 superlights in the club break recently and had problems getting warranty on them.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:06:33 pm »
The Oz would be too small, you need a WayBig size.

A k2 4000 in WayBig

A WC Pro~flex) frame only if you would have a Riesse shock on the back (IMHO)...something other than an NR-1/2/4

http://cgi.ebay.com/K2-EVO-3-0-EASTON-ULTRA-LIGHT-TUBING-FRAME_W0QQitemZ230159099768QQihZ013QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

XL (Waybig)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 03:11:29 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:09:28 am »
callum, a mate of mines got an orange 5 and he loves it but ill give you a word of warning, wherever the outer cables touch the frame get some protection on it sharpish! he took his to wales when it was brand new and i saw it at about at about a month old and the rear gear cable had almost worn through the downtube, not just the paint, im talking through the tube! nice bike though ive ridden it once but his is too big for me.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 09:57:48 pm »
Yes I love the single pivot designs for simplicity (and lightness? - not sure on this).
BUT.......I am very interested in the Whyte QUAD-Link system.
Whyte PRST4, E-5 and the 46 & Marin range ( as I have owned two Marin's in the past)

read bumpf.............

Fundamental to the QUAD-Link system is the intelligent wheel path. Early on in its travel the wheel moves back as well as up, encouraging the suspension to lift the wheel smoothly over roots and rocks. Further through the travel the wheel-path moves forward towards the BB, optimising chaingrowth to eliminate bobbing and pedal feedback. Combined with the intelligent wheel-to-shock ratio, the result is a sublimely efficient system that delivers fantastic small bump response, phenomenal traction and lightning responses to rider input.

QUAD LINKS:-Shorter links are faster to react, lighter and considerably stiffer. This gives the Whyte QUAD-Link system definite advantages: the high speed at which the links can move allows rapid controlled shifts in the IPC; and we can place the links outside the wheel area which allows us to bolt right through the links with a single bolt – this is a considerably stiffer method of construction than having links either side of the wheel.

CHAIN GROWTH:-Chaingrowth occurs when the distance between the centre of the bottom bracket and the centre of the rear wheel increases during rear suspension movement. Too little chaingrowth will make the suspension bob and cause the wheel to lose traction. Too much chaingrowth will cause the bike to rise on every pedal stroke and transfer the shock of any big bumps through the transmission to the rider – this is known as pedal feedback. The QUAD-Link system has been designed to optimise chaingrowth for maximum efficiency throughout the suspension travel, generating enough early on in its travel to pull the wheel into the ground providing fantastic traction over small to medium sized bumps. Further through its travel, the QUAD-Link’s chaingrowth gradually reduces to zero, virtually eliminating pedal feedback.

LIFETIME PIVOT BEARINGS:-We only use Full Compliment radial bearings in Whyte suspension pivots. These bearings are designed specifically for high load, low rotation speed applications - rather than the more commonly used wheel bearings which are designed to work effectively only when they are spinning at a high speed. All our pivot bearings are double sealed with a viscous Molycote grease which keeps out the grit and grime found on every UK trail. This unique bearing system will give a lifetime of super-plush, stiction free performance, which promises low cost of ownership and peace of mind. All our pivot bearings are guaranteed for life so you won’t ever have to worry.

Convinces me!

Any opinions/experience?

Col
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:58:52 pm by simmonc2 »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 10:14:06 pm »
Yes I love the single pivot designs for simplicity (and lightness? - not sure on this).
BUT.......I am very interested in the Whyte QUAD-Link system.
Whyte PRST4, E-5 and the 46 & Marin range ( as I have owned two Marin's in the past)

read bumpf.............

Fundamental to the QUAD-Link system is the intelligent wheel path. Early on in its travel the wheel moves back as well as up, encouraging the suspension to lift the wheel smoothly over roots and rocks.

Its the J path revisited!
kiwi proflex rider

willem

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 02:00:22 am »
Now then Colin... that was a pretty swanky sales pitch for Whyte.
You made some sweeping statements about the response speeds of short links vs. long links. You skipped right over Physics 101 by assuming those short links have a. Less inertia (not always), b. less stiction (not always), and c. better alignment (rarely).
And for the record, "Lifetime" bearings are just what we need for our perpetual motion machine... (No such thing.)

I don't hate your bikes, but they are too complicated and overpriced.

Simon, of this forum, is the most gifted bicycle guy I've ever met. And a pretty discerning rider. He bought a Whyte about two years ago. He doesn't own it now. If you search for that thread and read it, you might have cause to pause and think.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 10:20:48 am »
after a quick search this is all I could find from Simon. What was it he didn't like?:

Well haven't been around for awhile but I've been
looking in all the same,
anyway update, SOLD my WhytE46 I loved that bike
and its gone to good home.
Simply I'm just not getting in the riding to justify
such a bike and (you've guessed it) I've started
a new project,
'95 855