Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:17:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Raced last weekend, Proflex style  (Read 3605 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Raced last weekend, Proflex style
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:12:52 am »
Been going over the events of last weekend in my mind, and decided to post a review of my experience.

My 957 project came to a conclusion last Sunday with the last race of the California XC Championship. I entered in the beginners division, dressed in my Proflex Jersey and all. The only Proflex/K2.

Have not race for 8 years. I had some expectations so I was pretty prepared. I blistered the climbs(for me anyway). My 957 is fast as all getout, the fastest bike I have ever owned. Descents were less than desired. I still have some work to do on the Risse up front. I was getting pretty worked in the upper arms and shoulders. Rearward was perfect, as usual. Did see quite a few broken bikes and flat tires. Even one "Hamster Boy" off the seat the whole time because his seatpost was broken(that must have hurt).

It was an unusually hot October day, and that was taking a toll on me, but the 957 was solid. Could'nt help being once again amazed how agile the bike was. Experienced stomach cramps on the last climb from drinking lots of H2o, but toughed it out(could'nt let them girls and clydesdales school me).

I finished within the top 8, the Pros cheering me to the finish. They even flagged the time keeper to my passing. Actually after that I could have done another lap.:-)

Anyway I came home a little dazed but satisfied. A couple days reflection has made me really happy I did the race, and want to try next season. I will have the last issues ironed out and ready to rock. Would not ever try with out my trusty Proflex or K2.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Raced last weekend, Proflex style
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 06:53:29 am »
so how long of a race?

what are the clyde weight qualifications?....i'm afraid this bull is close to it....lol

it's a good feeling to be on an "old" bike and still doing great!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n196/carbon_angus/101006_10261.jpg

the above was taken with my cell phone a few weeks ago. kinda artsy fartsy....

Angus

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:16:05 am »
your bike's not *that* heavy is it?! ;-)
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Douglas_Johnston

• Novice
  • I love my K2
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 10:35:52 am »
Do you have the crosslink with a risse shock in it on the front?
K2 rulz

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 11:26:09 am »
The race was two 7.5 mile laps with 1600 ft climbs and descents per lap. Mostly fire road with about 25%
singletrack.

Clydesdale class is 200lbs and over. Yes, they do weigh each entrant. I would have medaled had I weighed another 15lbs.

The risse is on my carbon crosslink. I think they build it with rear damping specific settings. Had it in twice and they put more shims in, and leave the 90 weight gear oil(just kidding). I really like my damping SOFT on the front. I may tear into it myself and play with it.

Off for a ride, before Daylight Savings Time ends.
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 09:31:46 pm »
Well done Terry,

my racing days are over now but glad to see others
keeping at it,
great result considering the 8year layoff.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 01:04:18 am »
Shov,
I agree with the softness up front.  I had issues with the Fox Float on my carbon sending me over the bars.  I finally set the rebound to full soft and the AVA to 2 and all is right with the world now.  I may back the AVA off.  But when I'm using 200 psi in the rear shock and 45 in the front different dampening settings are a much.  I can't wait to send the front float to Push and say oh yeah, this is what it goes in. :D
Rich
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25