Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 02:15:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: disco monkey pivot bearing removal  (Read 2731 times)

K2Kiwi

• Novice
disco monkey pivot bearing removal
« on: May 05, 2003, 05:51:58 pm »
I've read that you should expect to have to replace the needle bearings in the main pivot if you remove them, as they can be dmage on removal. Is this always the case or can they be removed without damage if removed carefully, and used again if they're in good condition? [smiley=nod.gif] [smiley=disbelief.gif]

Joe

• Novice
Re: disco monkey pivot bearing removal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 01:15:12 am »
If your careful you shouldnt have any problems. I reused mine. When taking out the bearings and main pivot, press them out (easier said than done!). Pull out your socket set and fit up one thatll fit the pivot then roller bearings, and a deep one to fit over the opposite side allowing the stuffs to push through. And then... grab the bench vise and fit it up to the sockets and slowly press out the goods. A couple light taps on a extension should finish the job. The install is reversed with plenty of lube as well.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 01:55:25 pm »
Are you just making sure before you plunge in or is this a confession?  ;)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

K2Kiwi

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 03:41:01 pm »
Just suffering from a little paranoia. Really don't want to have to buy new bearings when i'm pretty sure I won't need them. Currently suffering from mystery bottom bracket region creak, that sounds like may be eminating from the pivot based on what I've read on the subject in the forum. I'm sure my bearings will be in good condition, just want to remove, inspect, and regrease them.  [smiley=beer.gif]

epac

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 04:54:30 pm »
you should be able to tell if the bearings are bad without removing them. if they are still good just regrease them and put the swing arm back on. if they are bad put the swing arm back on and go order them. this way you wont be without your ride for the 2 weeks its gonna take to get a main pivot kit.

.............peace [smiley=nod.gif]
oZm (retired to green fields & mountains in southern kiwi)
99'1000
00'zedx
01'razorback(its here, i've rode it, i love it broke it i fixed it)
yamaha yzf r1

K2Kiwi

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 07:20:35 pm »
Ok. Job done. All greased up and ready to rock and roll. Bearings looked and felt ok, but how can you tell easily if they are stuffed, if you only inspect them while they're still on the bike. Is it really obvious when they need replacing. ::) ???

epac

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 05:22:10 am »
yes it generally is very obvious. they will either fall apart when you remove the axle shaft or they wont be moveable with your finger.

...........peace [smiley=nod.gif]
oZm (retired to green fields & mountains in southern kiwi)
99'1000
00'zedx
01'razorback(its here, i've rode it, i love it broke it i fixed it)
yamaha yzf r1

K2Kiwi

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 09:28:20 am »
Fair enough... pretty obvious. Thanks for all the useful comments.  ;D

K2Kiwi

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 02:31:37 pm »
Just thought I'd add the closing chapter for the benefit of others who end up trying to fix what sounds like bottom bracket, or pivot clicking when the pedals are turned under load. First ride on greased pivot still had the same clicking  [smiley=coolfrown.gif]. Finally tracked the clicking down. It was actually coming from the top plate of my SPD's. The cross head screws that secure the plates had become very slightly loose. This was enough to create the clicking sound. Clicking certainly wasn't immediately apparent to be coming from the pedals. Glad now to be click free once again. Clicks, clunks, and squeeks suck big time. (Pedals are Richie logic. 97' vintage)  :P

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 04:29:42 am »
The pivots seem to be pretty well sealed...I ride in the Pacific NW year round and haven't had to touch them in a year and a half...
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem