Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 07:24:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: disk brakes query  (Read 9976 times)

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
disk brakes query
« on: October 08, 2005, 05:07:02 am »
hi i live in little olde england uk

ive a 97 proflex beast which i havnt ridden for 4 years but have decided to get back into mountain biking.

A few years back can remember a company in the uk Rapid Decent Innovations or some such name that did adaptors so you could run disk brakes on the frame and chubby triple clamp forks, as the standard frame didnt have the "is" mounts.

Dont think they are in business anymore - does anyone know of a company doing something similar?

Also is the chubby fork just a rebranded rst hi-5 (thought the rst had 5 inches of travel but the girvin pipe line chubby is listed as 4 inches, although can remember taking out a spacer when i first got the bike to add extra travel) again where can i get spares for these forks as RST no longer has a UK importer.

Thanks for your help
pro-flex beast 1997 soon to be used again after not moving an inch for 5 years

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: disk brakes query
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 06:23:57 am »
Your in luck Martin,
they've moved and the new site is RDS.
you need to correspond with Callum.
Here's a link to the disc adaptor products page.
Not sure about an adaptor for the chubby though.
http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=4&MMN_position=7:7
For Chubby spares try CVI they are the UK suppliers of spares for Proflex and Noleen products,
http://www.cvi.co.uk/cvi/contact.html
Simon.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 06:35:02 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 07:43:04 am »
cheers for that Simon.

Move back up to the Lake District early next year so will dust off the proflex, ordered a giant terrago fs1 2003 model brand new but old stock for £249 for the other half, was originally a £500 bike with disc brakes etc and won bike of the year in its price band back in 2003.

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 11:15:26 am »
found an adaptor for mounting a front disk brake onto the chubby fork on the K" site, but doesnt look like they ship to the UK  [smiley=disbelief.gif]

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 08:50:02 pm »
Ahhh what you need to do is ask nicely on this site (maybe starting a new thread)if you can purchase the item and have it shipped to them and then they ship it to you, obviously you pay all the shipping,I've done this and you will find everyone very helpfull.
Simon.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 08:50:39 pm by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:27:20 pm »
hiya,

the girvin chubbie. or RST Hi-5 if we are to be pedantic.  There are a few important points with this fork:

+ all chubbies are not the same.  Martin's is the original chubbie which came on the 1997 proflex beast and animal and one of the x-series (UK) bikes.

+ it has brake disk tabs but it is hard to say what standard they were thinking about when they designed them!  We did do disk brake adapters for this fork and I have a bag of them somewhere - but - we discovered that a standard IS2000 disk brake hub with a rotor bolted on will not fit properly because the bolt heads will foul the really thick legs on the fork.  Mike (Hammer) came up with a solution to use an older 4-bolt formula standard hub and machine down the rotor adapter but it was quite complex and wouldn't have sold.  I think nowadays we can use high quality but low profile bolts and that may work.

The upshot is that I have a bag of chubbie adapters which never sold.

+ We did do a spring kit for this fork (and RST Hi 5) and we sold about 20 of them in the late nineties.  Essentially, the fork has two long elastoner stacks and it was simply a case of swapping out elastomers for steel springs.

T h e   o t h e r  thing is that the chubbie went through a big change in the 1998 bikes.  It was a re-badged something else with proper oil/valve based damping and so on.
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 11:21:06 pm »
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99080.html

came across the above link relating to RST Hi 5s being recalled due to serious fault, also mentions they are no longer in business (RST USA anyway) however you still see RST forks on low end mtb.

Will have to see what forks are like when get back up to the Lakes, if the elastomers are knackered may swop forks to something with disk mounts and v brake mounts, rather than trying to adapt and repair them. Then list them on ebay lol   :D  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:51:53 am by kiwi »

simonlpearce

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:10:55 am »
I know this is an old thread but it may help anyone else looking for an adapter.

Basically i spent about a year trying to get rappiddescentscotland to supply me the correct disc brake adapter for my 1997 Proflex Beast (which i think is a 757 frame) after having spent a few hundred on some new hope disc brakes. As you can guess i got no where with a rear mount but they did supply a superb front mount to install on my Bomber Z1's!

As i got sick of the fact i had a rear disc brake just sat doing nothing i decided to go out and custom build a mount to fit. This was time consuming and i have only tested it a few times so far but yes it works and yes i now have front and rear disc brakes on a bike which would not have been able to take them.

I can supply anyone with a 757 with one of these however there would be a small cost involved, for full details please contact me via e-mail simonlpearce@btinternet.com. I cannot promise you will have it next day there may be a few week lead time as i dont have as much spare time as i used to but i will try to send them out as quick as i can.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 02:29:49 am »
holy thread revival BAtman....How on earth did you find It!?
kiwi proflex rider

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 07:22:20 am »
what sort of price?
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 12:56:58 pm »
is that for the carbon swingarm - I wanted to get a rear adaptor for a 957

cheers
Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:11:56 pm »
thanks to 'Simon' I have a template for an adapter if that's any use?
'95 855

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:57:05 am »
Thanks Orange - I have that template from you. Just not the facilities to make an adaptor. When I get close to wearing out the current rim I'll get serious about making one. At the moment I was being a bit lazy. (Actually lots lazy!) and seeking to buy one. I'd have had one off Callum but he's not making them anymore 'cos it's only me that's asked for one.

cheers
Ade

550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:07:40 pm »
d'oh! forget who I've sent it to!! A mate of mine just knocked one up out of sheet steel with a hacksaw. Should be easier if anything with 4mm aluminium if you can find a small square of it.
'95 855

timboiow

• Novice
  • Old bloke on a proflex
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:25:53 am »
Mr Orange,
I have a copy of your fine template, but that calls for 4mm Stainless Steel rather than aluminium. Can you use aluminium and does it matter what spec material you use ? I'm sure i can find some 4mm Aluminium or even 6mm but i'm not sure what the spec will be and wouldn't want it to fall off at a critical moment (although i assume the rear is taking less braking load than the front)!
While we're on disc brakes how have people routed their rear brake hoses  ? I bought some hope hose adaptors but they don't fit the Frame - have people modified the rear brake cable stops ? The idea of tiewraps doesn't really appeal as i'd like it to look "designed in" rather than "stuck on".
Cheers
Timbo