Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 05:19:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3
3 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Shiny "New" Bike  (Read 3418 times)

will

Shiny "New" Bike
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:30:59 am »
Nothing like polished aluminum to give machinery a very serious look. (And this color paint will never chip!)

Simon warned that it would be a tough job. It was.

But the results are great. She was a big hit on the trails today. What a fine bike.

and...

Cheers

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
Re: Shiny "New" Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 01:30:18 pm »
Nothing like polished aluminum to give machinery a very serious look. (And this color paint will never chip!)

Simon warned that it would be a tough job. It was.

But the results are great. She was a big hit on the trails today. What a fine bike.

and...

Cheers

Yeah, ummm, you're right Will. It must have been tough to paint those itty-bitty red X's.

Geez, who would have thought aluminum looks so white when it's in that little box shape.

But hey, they look great! [smiley=laughing.gif]

Looks like the Little Box Fairy has struck again!!! Stole your pictures and replaced them!!! :0

(sorry, i'm in a really wierd mood - screwed up my back again - must be the drugs talking.... errr, typing)
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:02:26 am »
Here you go Will though the pic could do with re-sizing [smiley=laughing.gif]
looks awsome,great job mate,worth the effort eh ;)
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 08:19:29 am »
That DOES look fantastic. I'm tempted to try such a thing myself... (My wife would kill me if I spent that much time just to change the color of my bike though!)

I'll bet you get lots of flats with those tires though...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 09:35:58 am »
Way to 'start-the-craze' Simon. [smiley=laughing.gif]

Geez, I think i'm the oooooonly guy out there now with one of these frames that isn't polished. ;D

Will - it looks GREAT! A very nice package, indeed. Hey, let me know how those tires are, eh? I'm picking up a used set this weekend.

Enjoy!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

will

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 10:15:22 am »
Thanks Simon! (I gotta figure out that red X thing...)

The stripping can be done fairly quickly if you use a GEL formula paint stripper. The primer was a little rough, but some medium steel wool took it off FAST.
I did have to treat the missus extra nice for all that shop time...

Flats? I've tried to flat 'em with no luck. I hucked my 208# off some three foot drops two weeks ago with no problems. Are these "maypop" tires? Normally I go with el Cheapo tires & tubes, but my LBS guy really talked these up. I run them at 36 - 40 psi and find the tire compression transitions into the bike suspension nicely. (When I was running a Marz. air fork.)

This last weekend was kind of "last chance" for the X-Link forks. While they're buttery smooth and ultra rigid, they're useless until I get a 225# spring. There's just too much sag and they bottom out when I run over little rocks and rattlesnakes! My wrists actually hurt after trying to rush down a few steep sections. Back to sliders...?

Cheers

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 10:47:30 am »
Flats? I've tried to flat 'em with no luck. I hucked my 208# off some three foot drops two weeks ago with no problems. Are these "maypop" tires? Normally I go with el Cheapo tires & tubes, but my LBS guy really talked these up. I run them at 36 - 40 psi and find the tire compression transitions into the bike suspension nicely. (When I was running a Marz. air fork.)

Maybe it's terrain dependent. Out in Utah, the general consensus was that the knobs were spaced far too far apart, and the casing in between wasn't thick enough to last. I only tried them for a week on a demo bike, but my experience was less than stellar. Not grippy enough for me on fairly hardpack trails, and I pinch flatted the rear (and dinged the rim really badly) with 40 psi of pressure (I only weigh 140). My Cannondale riding buddies (6 or 7 of them) all tried them because they came stock on the Jekyll in 2001, and they all ended up switching to something else - mostly to the Vertical Pros.

On the other hand, other people's opinions don't always mean much. If they did, I would love my Panaracer Fire XC Pros, but I have never felt as confident in their grip as I did with my previous set of Ritchey Z-max/OmegaBite tires, and I just noticed that half of my side knobs are torn off after about 200 miles! Grrrr... How is that possible? (They're the high TPI expensive version).
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

will

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 02:04:08 pm »
Yeah, terrain is everything. Texas hardpack & roots are nothing like Utah. I can see what you mean.

Guess I'll swap rubber if I can pull off this trip to Moab in May... still feeling things out with the "commander-in-chief" but I think I can do it on a shoestring... and a set of new tires!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 03:30:27 am »
Dang Will,

What a nice finish. The effort really panned out.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

will

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 06:21:27 am »
Terry,
Hat's off to you on the welding advice. The rear disk mount has your suggestions welded in. So far, so good!

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 06:28:55 am »
Terry,
Hat's off to you on the welding advice. The rear disk mount has your suggestions welded in. So far, so good!

This one Will  ???
I think its a nice solution,mines been trouble free.
Simon.

856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

colinv

• Journeyman
  • LFC till I die!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 07:20:59 am »
Looks great, I like the way the gold looks on the hose end too, just couldn't do it to my 959 though [smiley=laughing.gif]
K2 carbon, XTR mechs, XT v-brakes, Mavi cross ride wheels, XT chainset and lovely Pace RC38LTs.
Custom built Cougar, Ultegra allover for those roadie days