Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 13, 2024, 09:21:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Girvin for Old Bike  (Read 3169 times)

Iceman

• Novice
Girvin for Old Bike
« on: August 16, 2005, 03:47:50 am »
Hello,

I have tried to muddle through all of the posts and see if there is a relevant one already but so far I have been unsuccessful.  (If anyone can direct me that would be great)  My question is if anyone has done a mod on a newer noleen exp/elite to convert it for a 1" headset?  I have an older bike I was trying to snag a Vector2 for but so far have been thwarted on eBay.  I have access to a mill and lathe and was thinking I might be able to machine the steerer tube part and use a shim for the clamp on top but didn't know if anyone has tried this already.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
Re: Girvin for Old Bike
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:35:42 am »
Did I understand it correct?

You have a 1" fork and a 1 1/8" frame? Right?

If it is so, it is no prob to install that fork into that frame.
You can buy a reducer for the frame (costs about 10 Euros). It reduces the 1 1/8" steerer tube to a 1". Or you machine this reducer yourself in your lathe.
You install this reducer in the steerer tube and in the reducer the 1" headset.
So you can easily install the fork and all you need now is a 1" stem, which you can get very cheap on ebay (1 euro plus shipping or something)

I did this on one bike and it lasts till now.
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 05:29:07 am »
I think he mean's he has a 1" steerer bike and a 1 1/8" steerer tube,
The Vector2 fork had a 1" steerer tube but had collors to enable it to be used with 1 1/8" headsets,
the newer X-Link forks are 1 1/8" which is what he has,
as for your Q,
if you could machine up a new (not machine down the origional) steerer tube and machine a suitable shim, if done correctly I can't see a problem.
Simon.
lot of work though.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Iceman

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 07:07:30 am »
Thank you both.  The issue I have is what Simon detailed.  I was just wonderin' if anyone has tried it before.  I know its going to be a pain, but I really love the old frame.  There are other forks out there but I really want to try the crosslink motif.  If things were the other way around like proflex252 mentioned my life would be much easier.  Thanks.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:28:53 am »
I'm sure it's been done. I've seen it done with Cannondale Lefty forks. (i.e. some have made a new steerer to fit a 1 1/8" frame) Worked fine, and if you have the tools, shouldn't be TOO much work. But not easy either. Probably worth the effort just because it's fun though!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

felix smith

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 01:22:13 am »
I have a Girvin Vector in 1".  It's the first generation with the elastomer bumper.  If you end up liking the design, Risse makes an air shock that fits it.

Make me an offer.  I'm in Canada, so shipping may be an issue for you.  

mxman132

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 05:50:32 am »
I'm working on the same problem too.  My 855 has a 1" Girvin Vector II, and I want to know if I can mount a 1.125" steering tube and fork.  If I can figure it out, I may sell the  Girvin.  

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:04:05 am »
O.K., I hate to say this, but I have made this modification.  Girvin vectors have a 1" steerer tube already; the only thing is, the crown is set up for a 1 1/8" .  There was a shim/spacer that was used to make the upper steer tube fit a standard headset--who knows why?!.  My wife had an older frame that she wouldn't give up easily, but she wanted the Girvin.  I took the steerer to my local machine shop and they turned down the lower crown to fit a 1" headset.  They reassured me that it would be strong enough to take the stress--it never failed but my stress went down when she accepted her new bike.  It can be done, but remember you are the test pilot [smiley=nod.gif]  If you intend to pound on the thing you should prolly get a shiny new frame to make the heart go pitter-patter.

will

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 10:19:04 am »
Bike Nashbar in Ohio sells 1" slider forks just for folks in your position.
www.nashbar.com

good prices, too.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 11:03:51 pm »
The proflex world cup frames (856/956) are 1 1/8" frames.
The Vectors are 1" steerers with a 1/8" shim to make them fit.

I used a set of 1 1/8" marzocchis on my 856 for years.

If your frame is genuinely 1" then speak to the fork manufacturer - my trade catalogue for marzocchi has 1" options on steerers but you have to ask nicely.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

mxman132

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 12:56:31 pm »
I have decided to sell my Girvin Vector II if anyone's interested.  I just put new elastomers from K2 on it.