Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 03:15:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ODS Upgrading  (Read 3361 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
ODS Upgrading
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:38:02 am »
I've been testing the ODS Spring upgrade (fitted to my wife's 856)on behalf of RDI and they will be available late this month for any one interested,
thought I'd post some pic's and info though I've only tested the front so far,I've just received the rear for testing so there's a pic of it fitted,
fitting the front is pretty straight forward (same as a speed spring kit),but as you will see by the pic if I was to rotate the spring 180' the coil would foul the lower headset cup (same as the speed spring) just something to be aware of when fitting,compression of the spring causes no worries as the shock swings away from the headset as it compresses,I haven't fitted the bottom out elastomer to the shaft as thats just arrived,those who've changed to a lighter damping fluid would be best changing back to the standard 30wt as the rebound will be too fast,another thing I've done which I also did with the speed spring kit was the cut down the height of the pre-load adjuster by 5mm,this is because the top edge of the adjuster hits the top link when fully wound off and I needed around 5 to 7 turns of pre-load wound on to clear this,with this amount of pre-load the shock clonked on rebound,when I cut down the adjuster and set the pre-load to a more acceptable1 to 2 turn all was quiet,so far the ride over elastomer springs is much improved,

The rear has yet to be tested but again fitting was very easy,slight difference is the lower sping saddle fits over the strut cone with a machined female cone but the saddle face doesn't quite butt up against the strut,this is deliberate but not sure why,I'll find out,anyway here's the pic's,
Simon.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:57:06 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: ODS Upgrading
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 12:08:39 pm »
nice looking kit Callum and good initial review Simon!
kiwi proflex rider

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:12:16 pm »
So I would be correct in assuming that soon we will be able to get spring kits for the ODI shocks.

I might have to buy a few ODI shocks off ebay (unless someone else has some they want to part with) in preparation. Unfortunately neither of my elastomer shocks is the ODI type.

Any word on cost?

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 01:11:22 am »
So I would be correct in assuming that soon we will be able to get spring kits for the ODI shocks.

I might have to buy a few ODI shocks off ebay (unless someone else has some they want to part with) in preparation. Unfortunately neither of my elastomer shocks is the ODI type.

Any word on cost?

Yes,

I believe he intends to market these cheaper than you buy replacement MCU'S here in the UK.
so I think your looking at £30 to £32 sterling per kit,thats all I know at present,

Something else I forgot to mention when fitting these (mainly on the front) apply a smear of grease between the lower pre-load adjuster and the top spring saddle,then you will be able to turn the adjuster in situ,otherwise its way to tight as it tries to turn the spring and the lower saddle,just a tip for you.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

will

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 02:27:20 pm »
Simon,
I've had the same issue with clearance on my front spring and head tube on the 856 with the Crosslink EXP's. I thought it was because I cut down the steerer, but maybe not.
Just seems like a glaring error in a fork/bike that was so well engineered. Maybe that's one of the results of over-evolving a design.
Will

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 10:03:53 pm »
Simon,
I've had the same issue with clearance on my front spring and head tube on the 856 with the Crosslink EXP's. I thought it was because I cut down the steerer, but maybe not.
Just seems like a glaring error in a fork/bike that was so well engineered. Maybe that's one of the results of over-evolving a design.
Will

Hi Will,
I suppose when this bike was designed it was to run elastomer sprung which never had a clearance issue,
actually this spring has 2mm clearance at the closest point the angle of the pic doesn't show this,but depending on the headset your running then this becomes a clearance issue with some makes,the good thing is you can just rotate the spring to a point that the headset protruding area sits between the coils and as the fork compresses the linkage swings the shock away from the headtube,I've not had any experiance with the EXP forks,how did you overcome your clearance issue's ??? or are just living with it,I believe there are some required measurements depending on your headtube length you have to set the forks too.

Ahhh see your coming to good old blighty before christmas,we must all meet up,hey I've even got a spare bike you could use (if the commander in chief would allow it  [smiley=laughing.gif]),unfortunatly I can't guarantee the weather though :(
anyway off to Wales tomorrow (8th) for a week and we're (me and the boy) taking our bikes  :P can't wait,week of riding, well as much as my commander in chief will allow  [smiley=laughing.gif].
Simon.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 10:15:45 am by Simon »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 04:30:55 am »
Simon,

I am sure Will won't mind your weather, as he has been dodging some hurricanes lately. Either that or the hot, humid temps that grow monster bugs.

Am I right Will?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

will

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 01:31:46 am »
The clearance issue only existed without me on the bike. Because the spring was so soft, it sagged 50%and moved away from the headtube when I got on the bike.
I did rotate the spring, but it wasn't a very elegant solution.
Texas weather has us well prepared for Christmas in England. The very short days up north will surprise the kids, but they're pretty well zeroed in on the shopping & theatres.
I'll look forward to a ride, Simon. Enjoy Wales!
Will

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 04:02:56 am »
thanks,

springs will be GBP 30 for one or GBP50 for a front and a rear. - not on website yet cos I'm doing a brand new one.  The kit includes the end caps, a high quality spring and a bottom-out bumper - all made in scotland!

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 02:29:39 am »
Hi All,
I'm really suprised about the clearance issue on the spring conversions of your Vectors.
I did mine using Speedsprings in about '99 and I have about 10mm clearance between the headtube and spring, and even the headsets don't come anywhere near fouling the spring.
I think I've nagged Will about his X-Link EXP's and checking that they are set up properly already?
see my Crosslink installation helper posting.....http://idriders.com/proflex/files/crosslinkinstall.2.jpeg

Anyway, bottom line to the problem is the outside diameter of the Spring (obvious really)
I'm sure Callum will have taken this into consideration for his springs, but maybe I'll measure my Speedsprings..........

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 04:18:50 am »
Just measured the RDI Front spring diameter,
just over 46mm also measured a front speed spring
diameter (yes I have one of those as well) also just over 46mm,clearance to the head tube uncompressed approx 4mm,the speed spring fitted the same,
checked the critical measurement and shock i2i (188mm)and both are spot on.
As the measurements are set as it was supplied from new as a complete frameset and they correspond with correct critical measurement it must be fitted correctly,
Simon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:51:03 am by Simon »