Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 03:18:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Getting in shape - FINALLY!  (Read 2399 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Getting in shape - FINALLY!
« on: April 15, 2003, 07:01:16 am »
I finally found some guys to ride with on a regular basis. Unfortunately, still no MTB riders, but I'll settle for road rides for now since I really need to get in shape! Went for our first ride this morning and they about killed me. I thought I was doing okay on my own the last couple of weeks, but I guess 1 hour rides just don't prepare you for 2+ hour rides... We started at the crack of dawn and put in 40+ miles before breakfast. Totally wiped me out. Fortunately, right at the worst part of the ride (when I was about to bonk) one of the guys had his rear wheel come off! Luckily we weren't going fast (he has an old bike with horizontal dropouts and I guess his skewer wasn't tight enough. When we accelerated quickly from a stoplight, it just pulled the wheel right out!) Gave me a chance to quickly get some sugar/carbs into my system. I was proud of myself for almost keeping up the whole way (but not quite) [smiley=worry.gif]

Now, hopefully I can recover in time for another ride in a couple of days (a shorter one this time, thank goodness). Right now it still hurts to walk! This had better make me a better rider when I'm on the MTB!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Oz-SUB

• Journeyman
  • Oz's rule
Re: Getting in shape - FINALLY!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 07:55:28 am »
Matno

You make me feel younger today!

On Sunday four of us took part in the HONC (Hell of North Cotswolds) reliability ride here in the UK.  We did 100 kms - set off at 09:00, had a holf hour lunch break and finished at 15:30.  Last year I bonked badly, this year I took bananas, high calorie snicker type bars (2), and had some high glocose drink with me.

For early morning rides you need to have a big energy injection.  Let us know how the next ride goes.

regards             Oz-SUB
2003 99 K2 Oz-M with USE S.U.B. Fork & Fox DHX Air rear shock
2001 98 K2 5500c (Oz) Now Son's bike
1997 Proflex 957
1992 Proflex 952
1990 KONA Explosif
1988 SARACEN Tufftrax

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 08:38:12 am »
You're absolutely right. Next time I will load up on fuel! I really wasn't thinking of this as a "long" ride, but I guess "longer than I've ridden in a long time" counts as long. (Your 6 hour ride was WAY longer than my 2.5 hour ride!) All I ate was 1/2 a banana before the start, 1 granola bar halfway through, and water. Next time it will be a whole banana, maybe an apple, a bowl of cereal, and gatorade in my water bottle instead of water!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 10:16:13 am »
eating before big ride is mandatory! even for you youngins'

damn 40 in 2 is pretty good clip.

you will be amazed at how well your mtn biking will be as far as hammering, climbing. just keep your upper body working with some weights or push-ups and dumbbells.

roadie riding is  8) it's all riding, all good