Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 07:16:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Any cure for the creaking (Evo 4.0 w/cf swingarm)?  (Read 3201 times)

Evo4.0_Rider

• Novice
  • Ride to Live, Live to Ride.
Any cure for the creaking (Evo 4.0 w/cf swingarm)?
« on: April 14, 2003, 03:56:35 am »
At first I thought it was the cranks, so I greased those up (ISIS Splined), then I pulled my BB out and lubed it up with no effect.  I'm pretty much out of ideas.  It only seems to happen when I'm pedaling, but it's pretty annoying.  I can be off the bike and push the pedal sideways and as the frame flexes I hear these creaks and cracks.  The only thing I can think of now is that it's the swingarm making this noise.  Is there any cure for it (aside from buying a new bike of course)?

Joe

• Novice
did you try
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 06:53:05 am »
how bout your pedals??? my eggbeaters started to creak not 3 months into use. how bout your main pivot, my friends evo 4 from supergo actually didn't even have the pinch bolts. dropouts securely in the swingarm? how this helps

Evo4.0_Rider

• Novice
Re: Any cure for the creaking (Evo 4.0 w/cf swinga
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:46:29 am »
I'm using some big flat pedals and they didn't creak on my last bike.  The dropouts seem to be secure in the swingarm.  The creaking sounds like it's coming from the main pivot and I have the pinch bolts.  The really odd thing is that it doesn't seem to make a sound if you're doing drops or jumps, only when pedaling.  I had to take it back to Supergo when I killed my fork and they told me it was just something I'd have to put up with and all CF frames and swingarms did it.  I find that hard to believe though.  

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 08:39:35 am »
I know this is going to sound off-base, but try it anyway.  I had a squeak that drove me crazy for a long while.  It sounded like it was coming from the lower parts of the bike.  Turned out to be the seat post.  Squeaks resonate through a frame and are not always where you might first think.  So check the seat post and even the headset.  (Try a small bit of silicon glue on the post before installing it.  Don't worry, you'll be able to get it back out.)

BTW, carbon bikes / swingarms do not have to squeak.  My carbon bike rides quieter than any all aluminum bike I've ever ridden.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 08:43:57 am »
good timing, i'm actually talking with OP about this very subject at the moment - on my oZ. have u read his 'decreaking techniques' in the 'how to's' section?
anyway, i'm currently investigating this myself, it seems to be coming from the same area as you mentioned. so i'll keep you posted...
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 12:54:20 pm »
I had a funky creaking as well from the lower area, thought is was the swingarm, coulda swore it was the swingarm, ...turned out to be the pedals.... ;D
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 11:02:43 pm »
I've cured the same problem by servicing the main pivot. Remove, clean and regrease. If you Superglue the quad rings(rubber o rings) to the swingarm, reinstallation is quick and easy.

Also, be sure to check the cable ends on the downtube. A drop of oil or a wrap of teflon tape would rule them out.

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 06:07:56 am »
Had the exact same problem,
as the previous poster said:.......cable ends on the downtube............when the back end moves as the swingarm compresses, the cable ends rub against the frame's cable end stubs and if dry......will creak.   The cable can also rub against the downtube..

And the last creak I had to deal with (you won't beleive it)  Where the rearwheel mounts to the swingarm. If you use a light titanium skewer, sometimes these don't press as hard as a steel skewer, and will allow some creaking.....use oil or change to a steel skewer.
The evo frame can be as quiet as any frame, and that is the only way to accept it.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2003, 10:01:19 am »
I had some creaks from seat, seatpost, pedals and maybe the pivot, all cured with grease and wrenching. I have now installed a alum swingarm cos the carbon one broke [debonded] and there is definately less creaking, probably because I serviced the pivot in the swap over. I think the carbon swingarm makes it hard to tell where the creak originates from and maybe amplifies also. I like the alum arm better cos it's stiffer also.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2003, 04:17:26 am »
my experience here is the main pivot creak usually comes from a torque in the bike that comes from pedal pressure, this moves the axle cups in relation to the facings on the main frame.  as the grease comes out of this area or the cross bolt is not tight enough to hold the axle cups firmly in place, a creak will occur, this is metal on metal.  the facings could be moving, but with adequate crossbolt pressure, this is elimiated as well.

as the swingarm and pivot move up and down in a normal fashion, pressure is not being applied from the bottom bracket area to torque these joints side to side.

in the past, i've cured my pedaling induced pivot creak by tightening the swingarm bolt.  but, a creak in this area could be in a different area and sound similar.  just haven't had one in quite a while.

just some thoughts

OP
« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 04:19:21 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Evo4.0_Rider

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2003, 09:50:21 am »
Well, I've tried everything except the swingarm pivot and it's still creaking.  I think I must have added another pound to my bike with all the greese that I've put in it.  Time to try that one last pivot!

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2003, 01:50:52 pm »
i've had the same problem, tracked it down to my nr-2, no oil leaks i take it?
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven

Evo4.0_Rider

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 03:31:45 am »
Nope, no oil leaks either.  

I took the pivot apart last night and that thing was DRY!!  There wasn't much more than a light coat of oil in there.  I think I know where the creaking was coming from now too.  The cups that hold the thrust washers and those rubber seals sit right up against the aluminum frame.  With no lube in that interface, any amount of flex was causing the metals to stick and then unstick from eachother causing the creaky noise.  I messed up my bearings taking them out, but I'm hoping to find some new ones today.  I also found out that my pivot pin wasn't centered very well in the swingarm.  I never really looked very close at it before, but now I'm really glad I took that thing apart.