Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 02:13:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39
39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mega Air?  (Read 2333 times)

Johnny_Bravo

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mega Air?
« on: June 27, 2005, 05:36:47 am »
Just wondering if anybody here has any opinions on the Noleen Mega Air forks?  More specifically the '01 forks with the VTO and oil ports.  I missed out on the great sale eDiscountbikes.com had on them last year or so (kicking myself in the butt as they were cheeeeeeap), but I didn't know enough about them at the time to look into it.  Now that I've researched them I can't find one for sale anywhere.  I'm still heavily considering a Crosslink, but think the extra travel of the Mega Air will suit my bike better.  Not to mention it's strong and very light.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated....
-Big Ben
'99 Trek VRX-300 "The Big Green Monster"
with just a few beefy parts here & there.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Mega Air?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:44:40 am »
I got 2 pairs from that sale 1 for me and the other for my son,they were very cheap especially as I'm in the UK (excellent exchange rate at the moment),advise greatly received from carbon-angus who also purchased them on my behalf [smiley=beer.gif],anyway very happy with both pairs which though have had plenty of use (or abuse) they have been totally reliable and perform very well,(I have tried many other forks to compare against),and yes they are very light.
worth trying at that price you've not much to lose anyway.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
Re: Mega Air?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:51:15 pm »
I also picked up one from that sale.   I run it on my Zed single speed.  Good fork; plenty stiff, light weight, easy to service and takes a pretty big tire too.  The damping works ok but it's nothing special.

Since you'd probably be buy a used one I'd recommend you also consider a Marzocchi or Manitou Xvert.  Older Marzocchi Z3,Z4, or Z5's are simple, strong and easy to service.  They ride really well and parts are easy to find.   Manitou Xvert with TPC+ damping is super plush still quite light weight.  

With a little patience you should be able to find something on Ebay for well under $200.