Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 07:16:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 856 shake-down cruise..and question  (Read 2865 times)

mfgp

• Novice
  • Man, it's WAY too flat around here!
856 shake-down cruise..and question
« on: April 11, 2003, 03:48:52 pm »
Got my rig together last night and took it out for a street ride tonight.  That rear Noleen coil spring is awesome compared to the elastomers on my non WC 755.  Much, much nicer.  

All went well on the ride.  Went about 15 miles or so.  On the way back, I noticed that in the highest gear (large sprocket in front, small in rear) the front deraileur was rubbing a bit more than I thought it should.  They usually make a little noise in that gear, but this was a bit more than what is acceptable.  When I started to adjust it, strange stuff started to happen.  I thought I was losing my mind.....until the cable broke.  Guess it was stretching while I was adjusting, which was countering what I was trying to do.  At any rate, the cruise went nice.  I'm gonna love this bike on the trail next weekend.  

As I mentioned, my front deraileur always rubs a little in the highest gear.  It is an eight speed.  Does anyone else have this noise?  In my experience, it's normal.  Anyone have theirs adjusted so that it is quiet in any gear?  If so, any pointers?  

TIA  
mfgp

fevans

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 856 shake-down cruise..and question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 03:59:17 pm »
It might be that the derailleur high stop may need adjustment.  It might be stopping too soon, before your cable has a chance to extend the derailleur out to the biggest ring.  This would be indicated if the rubbing was on the outside of the largest chain-ring.

http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/FD/si_images/FD_570-750all_SI.pdf

mfgp

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 04:12:57 pm »
It was rubbing on the outside.  This would also explain why the cable was stretched enough to break.  It was an older cable, but shouldn't have broke.  

Thanks for the info.  I'll get a new cable in the morning and adjust that screw so I have more travel.  We'll see if that works.  I'm new to adjusting these things.  I've always had the LBS do it for me.      

BTW, I wasn't able to open the file you linked to on the last page.  I will try again tomorrow.  Got to hit the sheets now and get ready for a big day tomorrow.  

mfgp

fevans

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 04:25:50 am »
If you couldn't open the file, you may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader (free).  Here's the link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 03:13:35 pm »
a little bit of rub on the front derailler when in the big gears or the very low isn't abnormal - in fact i adjust to the lower gears to clean and don't mind when the higher gears rub a bit - 'specially to the 11 or 12 tooth.

sometimes doing a slight toe in on the front unit will usually cure it if you're running it parallel to the rings - but usually what you get somewhere, you have to give up a bit somewhere else.  i'm presuming the in and out stops are set properly and the barrel adjuster is as well.  (i've taken to running my xt 8 front derailler with the 9 speed chain)

if i was running a road bike that would be a different matter - but on an mtb - i seldom go that high 'cept on the road going and coming

personal opinion

OP
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 03:15:46 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 03:58:30 pm »
my 756 always has a bit of a rubbut only in the  highesst coupla gears it is difficult to get rid of it.If you adjust the fr d to come over more you risk dumping your chain of the side of the big ring.You will almost certainly will never get rid of the rub when you stand up and crank it in a big gear
kiwi proflex rider

mfgp

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 09:16:47 am »
Thanks folks.  

I was able to get it adjusted decently.  Happened to notice that my chainrings are worn, esp. the center.  This is causing me some problems also.  But it's an easy fix $$$.  I've been wanting some new cranks to replace these Sugino jobs for a while now.  Not sure why they put those cranks on the bike to begin with.  All other components are LX.    

Old Proflexer, I have the stops adjusted properly, but what is the barrel adjuster?  Are you referring to the tension adjustment on the shifter?  
mfgp