Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 11:18:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Proflex 856 help  (Read 2859 times)

chabro

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Proflex 856 help
« on: May 21, 2005, 01:47:50 pm »
I recently was given an 856 in excellent shape other than the shocks.  The front and rear shocks are missing spring and are leaking oil.  I am exploring options to fix the bike. Option 1: Rebuild the shocks and restore to oem. Is this worth it? Also I have no idea where to buy kits or springs for that matter.  Option 2: Upgrade shocks.  Problem is I have no idea what will fit.  I am completely new to this type shock. None of the shocks I have seen are threaded like the rear one and the front looks different also.  Option 3: Replace rear shock assuming I can find one that will fit and is in my price range and replace front vector fork with newer suspension fork.  Any replies would be really helpful.  This site rocks.  Thanks

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Proflex 856 help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 05:00:15 pm »
Check out Will's and Frankd3000's galleries. Then Junkster and Simon.

Of course Callum at RDI has the ODI upgrades if you need them.

That will help make up your mind.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 05:43:26 pm »
risse and stratos make shocks that will bolt straight on,ebay wii yeild a shock that will fit now and then or you can make an adapter to fit a "normal"(ala frank and junkster and others) shock.The i2i for a 856 is 210 mm so you can use a shock with a shorter i2i and a narrow top mount as it must fit between the frame plates,forksa re a much easier swap a later model crosslink keeps it in the family!!!
kiwi proflex rider

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 08:24:59 am »
Yes, you most certainly do have options - it all depends on what you have available (read: money/connections/resources) and what you want.

If you want to retain the OEM set-up then you can find replacement ODS pieces.

If you have money you can call up Risse or Stratos and have them make a pair of shocks (if you do some snooping here someone has one for sale - or did a short while back). You can gain great adjustability with their offerings.

If you have a machine shop local to you and are good with measuring instruments then you can buy any "normal" rear shop and make adaptors to fit them. Clearance issues may or may not be an issue (who am I kidding - they WILL be in some way or another). If you go this route be prepared!!!!

Do some snooping here and see what fits your needs best with your riding style - this is KEY.

Also, along with checking on these Galleries, be sure to take a few minutes to go to the old site and check out the old Galleries.

Oh yeah, WELCOME!!!!!! :)
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

chabro

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 09:10:05 am »
First of all, thanks for all the quick responses.  I think I am leaning toward replacing the vector fork with a suspension fork.  It just seems to be the most "bang for the buck".  On the rear, I am considering a normal shock with adaptors.  The Manitou QR which was mentioned here seems to be a good deal.  A shock from Risse or Statos would be great however, I just can't afford to deal with them direct.  Lots of money.  I still need to purchase a wheelset so I need to watch the budget.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 12:52:20 am »
I've written a PDF on how to service the ODS shocks on an 856/956.  To be honest, the rear with a coil spring is a very tuneable and good quality shock.  The old Vector ii's are much better with a spring but a 100mm Marzocchi will work superbly.

I'd only go to Risse (for the rear) if I was wanting to save weight and get the bike sub 25 lbs.

(my new ODS spring kit is in production - ready 1st week in june for testing with our testers (most of whom are on here)

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

chabro

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 02:59:43 am »
I've been talking with a friend of mine who rode the ods with vector forks for a summer and said he loved them.  So..I would like to try and rebuild the shocks now.  I've got them off the bike and they look like they are in really good shape other than the leaking.  All I have is the bodies with no springs.  So I guess I need kits and springs.  How do I acquire.

Thanks, Chad

will

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 03:07:11 am »
Callum,

I'm fired up to get one of those springs! I just weighed my Crosslink ELT's in at 3.65 pounds - including the disk brake adapter.

So it's not just the smoothest and stiffest fork ever. It's lightweight too boot!

However, the 200 pound spring is just too weak; I'm using 50% of the travel in the sag and bottoming out constantly.

How about a 225# or a 250#?
PLEASE, help me get those slider forks off my bike!

Will

chabro

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 03:20:43 am »
I just uploaded a picture of the bike and the ods shocks I have to work with.

chad