Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 01:22:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: does5500 carbon frame weigh more than the 5000?  (Read 4437 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
Re: does5500 carbon frame weigh more than the 5000
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 04:39:11 am »
that is a  good point about the scale, I suppose it might be off (hope its not HEAVIER than it says!!!!. at least I am not using bathroom scales. i bought a scale in a sporting goods store for weighing fish. it has a big hook on each end. it is a spring based scale with a large scale that reads 0 to 50 lbs. I only paid $8 for it. but its called an Accu-Scale.
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 04:57:24 am »
It can be done and these are calibrated scales,
old pic and the sids are long gone but I was able to keep the weight the same,agree with Matno checkout your scales,

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 07:52:37 am »
wow  for a second there , I thought that was a picture of my bike !! We have similiar builds, but a few key differences.

I have next lp cranks with a r.f. bottom bracket.

C. Kings on mavic 717's

but to add weight, I have the Avid 7 inch (185 mm ) rotors. I also have the full metal jackets (awesome)

I beleive the r.f. bottom braket weights like 165 grams. Despite some bad reviews, I have had ZERO problems with it, in 3 years and running. Just got to take your time and install it correctly.Also the king wheels are almost a pound  lighter that the hopes you have. but then again, mine aren't tubeless...

my build:

Oz m medium frame

Marzochhi mx pro 120 eta

kind headset

kore stem (soon to be changed to ?)

easten carbon bars

sram quarz grip shifters

kings on 717's

bb7's with 185mm rotors

fullmetal jackets

next lp's , r.f. square taper b.b.

sette post

forte road seat

xt casette

xtr rear rapid rise

xt front

pc 99

time aluims ( soon to be c.b.candy's )

hutchinson spider2.0 front

hutchinson alligator 1.85 rear

128 ? gram turbo tubes

fox vanilla rc rear shock

If (when) I ditch the fox for an air shock I should loose about 1.5 pounds.  And the candy pedals will knock off almost a quarter pound. Currently 30 pounds even.

I shied away from the XTR casette, due to the ti cogs, and reviews of bending them. So, I too took some weight penalities in the name of durability.

Also, the bb 7's may not be the lightest thing going, but have you tried other disc brakes? I tried some xt hydros on a blur, no way man, I'll take the avids.

We have our F.M.J. brake lines routed the same way. At first I thought the rear floating over the swingarm would cause problems, but it has'nt yet. I will forget about it, until then.

Someday I will post a picture of my ride..

I would address the cranks, b.b, wheels and tires.    Just a suggestion.

I know what your saying though, before I went to disc's and the fox shock I was at 27.5 pounds.

Waaahhhh [smiley=diaper.gif]

Ed
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 02:52:26 pm »
Wow. and I was pissed off because mine didn't come in at 25 lbs with the Smart shocks.  The guy who owned it before me was comparedly tiny.  I'm 6'2" (220lbs) and he looked like Marco Pintani.  Anyway, he is on the weight weenie list and with NR-2s on he had it down to 21 lbs.  Mine was over 27 lbs after I built it.  And then I did Stan's kit and I only lost .5 lb with it and the Michelin lite race tires.  I had figured I could have lost a full lb switching to the Mich tires and the lightest tubes I could get a hold of.  I have never had that many problems with flat tires so I'm not scared to run light tubes.  I remember Bicycling built a 5500 with Ti springs in an NR-2s and got it down to 21 lbs.  Then they added a SID fork and air shock on the back and it was right around 20 lbs, which was where some World Cup CC bikes hardtails were just under.  But either way our size has a lot to do with the weight.  And then if you build it beefy on top of that, well you've got a pretty, but beefy bike.  Just my 2 cents.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 03:24:25 am »
I dunno. I built  my Oz with cracking 24 lbs. in mind. It came in at 24.5 lbs though.

The Maxxis Flyweight/Kenda semislick combo was light but virtually unridable at speed. I recall that the crosslinks exhibited some understeer and the front tire would wash out, and I could lock up the brakes. Sure was fast though. Eventualy graduated to Mutanoraptor 2.4/Bontrager ultralite 2.5 tubes on the front.

I am a believer that with lots of quality travel both ends the wheelset can take more of a beating. Have not had any issues with wheel faillure front or back using the lightest components affordable.

Even the girvin mag Titanium pedals had a reputation for snapping but been holding up nice. Also never had a problem with the XTR cassette, reasoning that my weak ass legs are a perfect match.

So currently the weight is 26 lbs with 5 inches SPV/inertia platform travel front and rear. Will eventually get it down to 25lbs. with addition of bolt-on skewers from Nashbar, carbon finish ultralite seatpost clamp, Maverick fork and Marta SL front brake with Stan's Alum rotor.

Twenty one pounds though, HHHHMMMMMMM ===$$$$$$$$ OOUUCCHH!!!!!!!!!!

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 01:41:54 pm »
Well, like I said he was tiny, and when you use half the stem length and seatpost length, that weight adds up.  But, he was pretty well off.  And being SoCal he lived mear miles from a SuperGo.  He would take his portable gram counter, and go to the clearance isle.  That's how he got it that light.  I went with an Easton carbon theme, so maybe thats where my extra weight comes from.  But I had a rigged SRAM FD, that is being replaced by an XTR, and I know that adds weight.I can put a lighter stem on too, which then I wouldn't feel so bad putting on carbon bar ends.  But still, I don't see 21lbs, especially with the Fox Floats and adapters.

Rich
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25