Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 08:17:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
38 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: HELP! Carbon Owners  (Read 2627 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
HELP! Carbon Owners
« on: April 05, 2005, 03:42:21 am »
Hey There,

Would you carbon owners please check your frames for this characteristic? Underneath the downtube about 25mm back or so from the headtube at the seam there is a bulge about 10mm diameter on my bike. This bulge looks like a molding relief.

The reason I am asking is I am not sure if this is common with all the 4500, 5500, OZ frames. I am keeping an eye on mine because there are some small wavy surface cracks orbiting this bulge.

Thanks for anyone that can help.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: HELP! Carbon Owners
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 05:00:03 am »
Hi terry,yep my 4500 has one,my son's Oz has one but its alot less pronounced,his appears to be trimmed abit more at the seam,sounds like something left over from the molding process,I'm sure its nothing to worry about,when Dominic split open his frame to repair it because he thought the frame had split around the b/b and s/arm pivot he found it was only some surface delamination,it would of been fine to leave it.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:50:34 am »
Terry, do you have a pic? I work in the mold industry and MIGHT be able to recognize if it's just shut-off/flash effect, or a problem.

Key word: might.

I already suspect that with it being round, it might be the flash associated with the (injection) nozzle. You can see this same feature on nearly every piece of plastic, in some way or another. Anyways, blabbing.... pic?
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Wankel

• Apprentice
  • Carbon OZ and RX-7's - A Great combo ;)
    • Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 12:14:40 pm »
Just wanted to add my $.02,  I've had 3 OZs (different sizes) and all had that "deflect" (notice that I didn't say defect) in them. When I asked K2 about it a while back, they stated that it is just a "product of the processing when the finish was finalized....". They said it is not a struct. defect and that the frame would be just fine.
 So, I don't know.  Scared the H&LL out of me when I first noticed it on my other OZ.  But, they say live with it.

Again, just my $.02

Wankel

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:49:36 pm »
  I will work on the picture. The bump has always been there but now if I look closer I see these cracks in the plastic.

Otherwise I am pounding the life out of it. Which is why I got scared. It has been creaking alot, which I narrowed down to cable flexing at the ferrules. Then I spotted those cracks.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Wankel

• Apprentice
  • Carbon OZ and RX-7's - A Great combo ;)
    • Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:19:45 pm »
shovelon,
 I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yes, I agree - it bugs me. And, both miy current OZ's (one with very few miles on it, and the other with LOTS of pounding off-road miles on it) have the slight raise with circular cracking near the surface of the finish. I don't like it - but I've grown out of it being a reason to not ride the frame. Granted, I pulled apart the older frame and set it aside for about 6 months - and rode my 957 and 656. Then decided "the heck with it", called K2, they said go for it! ...so I did. They've both been fine and don't seem to be any worse for ware. I'm just saying - if you want to worry about it - then do, I totaly understand!  But, unless you plan on hanging it on the wall [ been there ;) ] I'd say use your best judgement :) .

Wankel
 I will work on the picture. The bump has always been there but now if I look closer I see these cracks in the plastic.

Otherwise I am pounding the life out of it. Which is why I got scared. It has been creaking alot, which I narrowed down to cable flexing at the ferrules. Then I spotted those cracks.

Terry

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 11:54:05 am »
I have one of those wee bumps, too.  Never noticed it b4.

Those "cracks" ...they must be right on the surface, not in the carbon weave itself?..Simon mentioned that, too...right ???

One of our Mods   "Grim Jack" had his frame warrantied, it's the only one I have heard of that needed replacement.

[smiley=beer.gif]

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:04:07 pm »
Thanks guys,

There does not seem to be any cracks into the weave. So I will keep on aridin.

Phew! Terry
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:04:31 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS