Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 02:14:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Polished  (Read 3929 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Polished
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:13:12 am »
Just finished polishing my 856 project,took me ages,used autosolve with a buffing mop on a power drill,hasn't come up to bad,
as you can see the new swinglinks I've made are now fitted (amazing what you can make with a saw, files and a drill)plus the modded strut,just got to get it lacquered to prevent any oxidation,also need to source some decals,the s/arm pivot is already prepared for the sealed bearings and a new throughshaft made,I haven't fitted it yet as I'll use the bearings from my 4500.
What do you think so far ???
run out of funds to finish off (need a b/b, front mech etc,the rest I can transfer from my 4500) I'll just have to wait abit longer :(
Simon.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 09:23:56 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Polished
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 07:27:12 am »
Simon....the swing link is really only an adapter for the air shock???

Do you think it will modify any characteristics regarding the performance?

Can you adjust the postion of the shock (bottom) with your adapter...looks like it...?

Looks good as always

[smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:27:31 am by carbon_angus »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:09:19 am »
Simon....the swing link is really only an adapter for the air shock???

Do you think it will modify any characteristics regarding the performance?

Can you adjust the postion of the shock (bottom) with your adapter...looks like it...?

Looks good as always

[smiley=beer.gif]

Hi Carboangus,thanks for your comments  :P
The swinglink enables the shock to be compressed without any other stresses applied to it other than compression forces,also it applies a different compression ratio allowing more wheel travel with less shock stroke,don't ask me the calculated ratio because I don't know it,the deciding factors on positoning and lenghts etc were largely set by the frame design and what I could make fit,
yes I hope that it does modify some of the 856 characteristics in so much as improving the rear suspension action (eg smoother and more travel) plus your no longer limited to the rear shock you can use,I'm hoping the sprinting and climbing abilities are unaffected by this conversion,it was a great climber,
I know it does look like the swinglink is adjustable and I did toy with the idea but that hole is only there to lighten things up abit,I can't bring the strut any closer to the shock it will foul the shock body on full compression.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:28:59 am »
sheesh the wheel must be close to the outboard end of the link!!!!.Simon it looks awesome!Did you take the shock bolt out before polishing,or is it either a shadow or greasy finger marks....?
kiwi proflex rider

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:36:30 am »
sheesh the wheel must be close to the outboard end of the link!!!!.Simon it looks awesome!Did you take the shock bolt out before polishing,or is it either a shadow or greasy finger marks....?

Hi Kiwi, believe it or not there is more wheel clearance within the strut than found on a standard 856,good for our muddy UK conditions,
I polished the frame s/arm etc seperatly,hence the greasey marks at the shock bolt area after re-assembly,its not perfect yet still some hand polishing to do,its an old used frame so I wont be able to polish out every mark but its come up better than I expected.
Simon.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 11:26:46 am »
Elegant, yet so simple in it's design.  

Did you have to remove paint? It really comes alive naked.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 07:30:43 pm »
Elegant, yet so simple in it's design.  

Did you have to remove paint? It really comes alive naked.

Terry

Hi Terry, [smiley=beer.gif]
Yes had to remove all the paint first,used a product called Nitromors,a universal paint and varnish remover,after this I removed awkward and stubbon paint with very fine reduction paper,it all took awhile but worth it.
Simon.

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:20:34 pm »
That looks great Simon.  I can't wait to hear how it rides!

Cheers,
Trevor

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 11:33:23 pm »
My gosh! Thats beautiful! It reminds me of one of my  favorite bikes of all time. A Brooklyn Machine works Rcelink from Interbike...

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=Kevins19/BMW_Race_Link_002.jpg http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=Kevins19/BMW_Race_Link_003.jpg
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:06:30 am by Kevins19 »

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 01:05:55 am »
Also, by orienting the shock more perpindicular to the suspension forces as well as braking forces during suspension travel... the bike should experience less brake jack. (not that that was ever a big prob. for these frames)

I think it will ride very nice!  [smiley=nod.gif]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:06:19 am by Kevins19 »

dan_jones

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 01:27:24 am »
Hi Simon,

it looks very nice!

For the shock ratio (easy and crude), just let the air out, take a measurement from the drop out to the bench - compress the shock fully and re-take the measurement. We know the shock has a 35mm stroke, so divide this by the measurement we just taken - for example 100mm - this will give is a ratio of 2.85 to 1.
Fox's maximum recommended leverage ratio on this unit is 3:1

cheers

Dan

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 04:29:51 am »
Ah its in bits again at the moment,its being lacquered,
I think its going to have around 5"ish of travel taken from past crude measurements,so that makes the ratio of approx 3.6 to 1,
will make a more accurate measurement when I start putting it back together.
either way can't change it now anyway [smiley=laughing.gif]
Simon.

gfd

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 03:37:20 am »
nice.

only suggestion i'd make is to try smoothing out the welds with a grinder.

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 11:17:59 am »
"only suggestion i'd make is to try smoothing out the welds with a grinder."

Heck no man! The welds look good.. IMHO.

jinder

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 06:02:39 am »
NICE!
Beast