Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 10:09:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Help,Shock wanted.  (Read 3035 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Help,Shock wanted.
« on: March 04, 2005, 08:21:53 am »
I'm after a s/hand air shock with an i2i of 165mm (with a stroke of around 1.5" to 2")for my 856 project,
okay I don't wish to spend to much but I'd like a quality unit preferably with compression and rebound adjustment,
got my eye on a Rockshox sid and a Cane creek AD5 shock on ebay at the mo
don't know much about the AD5 ??? any good ???
thought I'd ask here if any one has or knows of a suitable unit for sale as I know anythink recommended from this site will be worth my while.
Simon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 08:22:23 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Help,Shock wanted.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 11:10:06 am »
i thought someone on this forum had an ad5 on some bike????
kiwi proflex rider

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:48:12 pm »
I'm 99% sure that Cane Creek was posted on the "old" forum. Looked pretty cool though. However, most reviews I've seen of the Cane Creek shocks were less than favorable. Usually blows through its travel too quickly with little bottoming out protection... They are also not oil-damped, which makes them slightly lighter, but probably not the best for smoothness. Lots of 6.5" shocks out there though...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 06:24:55 am »
Thanks to Sprucey  [smiley=beer.gif]I now have a Fox float 03 shock for my 856 project.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

will

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 11:44:06 am »
Simon,

No progress photos? I'm dying to see how this works... Fortunately, I've been travelling and unable to start on my copycat project.

Better I should see how you pull it off before I try it.

Is it working out so far? Did you get the clearance you expected?

Pix pleeeeeeez!

Will

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 08:46:46 am »
Okay Will just for you I took quick pic(sorry not that great apic but gives an idea),please excuse the mess on the bench [smiley=laughing.gif]
things are progressing well but I'm a long way off,
the setup you can see has shock clearance problems with the strut(probably should of mounted the pivot on the frame 2" higher),I'm going to extend the swing link to cure this,this means I'm now going to make my own link arms,if I flip over the links everything clears fine but the B/B height I believe will be to high,
materials used so far,7000 series on the frame mount plus on the strut as a strengthening plate,
the strut main brace is T6 aerospace aluminium with a welded on 7000 series shock mounting block,the new
links will be made from T6 aluminium,
and yes I made a welded on disc brake adapter,
hope this is of some interest.
Simon.
Ps when I've finished I'm going to strip off the paint and look into a full polished look.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 09:53:19 am by Simon »

will

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 10:12:27 pm »
Sweetness & light! Thanks.

If I can ever get back to my shop...  :'(

Need more travel in my bike and less travel on my calendar.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 02:16:58 am »
Simon,

Very, very nice. Good Luck with it!

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Autoduel

• Novice
  • Have tools...will modify
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 12:17:24 pm »
i thought someone on this forum had an ad5 on some bike????

you mean this one?

I got one on my GT I-drive is well. It's plush, but also bobs more than a fox, but a non-issue on an I-drive if you stay seated. Cane Creeks also have adjustable air volume (internal) to tune it. I had a rock shock sid as well, but they always have a leak in the neg chamber and are heavier as well.
957 - sold
856 w/ cane creek shock - wife's bike

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 11:14:19 pm »
Yikes, those are some scary looking modifications! Those sharp corners need to be rounded out! I'm seriously considering upgrading to an air shock myself, but can't decide which one will provide the best compatibility with my 5000 frame. It's certainly a bit of an odd design in the way the frame end of the shock has to reach so far up between the plates.

Oh, and that's not the Cane Creek I was thinking about - there was one on an EVO type frame with an extender built in to the carbon swingarm plates to allow the use of a shorter eye to eye length. But that one looks cool too... ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 11:15:50 pm by Matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5