Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 03:25:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: which spv/propedal rear shock for Oz?  (Read 5858 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
which spv/propedal rear shock for Oz?
« on: February 11, 2005, 11:03:15 am »
ok, now I am inviting suggestions from everyone. I would like a shock that is fairly light, air-sprung, and relatively maintenance free.

I do like the Astro5 I currently have, but as a modifier I would like to go with an spv shock. any votes for staying with the astro5 would be appreciated too. I mean, it works, and I haven't had to touch it since I got it setup right. so, time to get rid of it, right?

also, I have just been reading great things about the new Fox RP3, but the longest i2i they have is 7.875 with 2.00" stroke. is this okay for Oz? i know original shock was 8.25 i2i.

questions about spv shocks that I would like answered:
a. which one and why?
b. what i2i length and stroke?

thanks for your suggestions/comments.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 11:55:59 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: which spv/propedal rear shock for Oz?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 02:40:56 pm »
also, I have just been reading great things about the new Fox RP3, but the longest i2i they have is 7.875 with 2.00" stroke. is this okay for Oz? i know original shock was 8.25 i2i.

questions about spv shocks that I would like answered:
a. which one and why?
b. what i2i length and stroke?

My Stratos with 7.875 x 2.1 works just fine. A little slacker than my Astro 5, but hardly noticeable. What IS noticeable is the difference in ride between the shocks. (I like them both for different reasons).

As for SPV's, I've only ridden one a couple of times - a Swinger 3way on a 2004 Jekyll - but it was amazing. Like a hardtail on the way up (but a lot smoother) and tons of control on the way down (although not as plush as I'm used to). I'd say I'd probably want SPV for the rear more than the fork. I've never really noticed bob on a fork unless I'm standing up, leaning forward, and really cranking (which is rare).
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

5500C

• Journeyman
Fox Propedal RC
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 04:49:02 pm »
Picked up a 8.5" i2i and love it.

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 02:45:51 am »
Thanks for the responses so far.

5500C -
did the 8.5 i2i raise your bottom bracket at all?

I am at the limit with standover height with 8.25 i2i so I am concerned about that.

Matno- come to think of it, I agree with you about the fork not really bobbing much. Mostly from rear.

thanks for any more info you can give me.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 02:47:24 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 03:22:05 am »
I'd stay with the Astro5 for a bit longer and let Propedal develop further before making the switch, and I'd stay with the standard i2i as your at your standover limit,even running extra sag you could still get caught out :P
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 03:57:07 am »
Thanks for the responses so far.

5500C -
did the 8.5 i2i raise your bottom bracket at all?

I am at the limit with standover height with 8.25 i2i so I am concerned about that.

Matno- come to think of it, I agree with you about the fork not really bobbing much. Mostly from rear.

thanks for any more info you can give me.

[smiley=groucho.gif]

I had the 7.7875 RC and felt that the bottom bracket height was too low.  The 8.5" with more slack feels much better than before especially with the Manitou Black Elite 100/120 mm fork.  The bb height does feel a bit taller, but I can't really remember what it felt like with 8.25".

I like it though.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 06:17:30 am »
Dennis,

I have had my Coil Swinger 8.5 i2i x 2.5stroke for about a year now. I love it.

However it weighs in at over 900 grams. Manitou has come out with a Swinger air sprung at 8.5 i2i at 500 grams, but the cost is 350 to 400 dollars.

What I am after now is an air swinger 7.5 x 2.0 at 300 grams to 350 grams. I will machining a cross mount, adapter/extender to lengthen i2i to 8.25. The best thing is I am finding great deals on these shocks.

I have my eye on an ebay item right now listed at 175 dollars.

Food for thought?

By the way, my front disk brake is mounted, and will be riding today. The Julie brake was an early version without any lever adjustment. Had to add a set screw and grind the plunger post a little. I will let you know how I like it.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 06:21:02 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 08:06:54 am »
Terry,
ahhh, an extender. now, that's an idea.

let me know if you get one worked out.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 11:33:20 am »
I remember photos of one once upon a time on the old forum (with a Cane Creek 6.5" shock). Never heard of any others (unless you count Simon's projects, which make me jealous...)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 12:17:45 pm »
Just thought you all would like to know that

http://www.beyondbikes.com

is showing Manitou swinger air 3 way and 4 way shocks that are 8.25 i2i with a 2.00 stroke.

seems like my search may be over. however, these things are pricey. and how about a Fox terralogic fork to match?

I have heard that ID forks and SPV rear shocks may not work that well together. Maybe the SPV rear is the way to go.

K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 03:49:19 pm »
Sure enough, 8.25 i2i.

Beyond bikes may have an exclusive. Yes the prices are outrageous. 200 bucks is most I would like to pay.

I don't know about Fox's ID fork, but the Stratos cartridge does not work for me. I have it pretty close to rideable but I am losing the stable platform. I will have to say that Stratos workmanship is impeccable, a work of art. And the dampening is very plush.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 05:05:55 pm »
Dennis,

Went for a ride today with my offspring. The ID cartridge is as close as I can make it to my liking without losing all of the lockout. Junior kicked my behind on the uphill but I smoked him on the way down [smiley=laughing.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif] [smiley=nod.gif].

The Julie disk brake squeeled like diaper dan on the way up with rotor rubbing. I guess it needed a breakin period as the noise went away on the way down and it is powerful. I almost lost it a couple of times when the wheel locked up when I hit patches of mud. The disk wheel felt rock solid, but it will still need a few more rides before I am fully confident.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 04:51:02 am »
follow up question:
if you had a choice between a 7.785" i2i or 8.5" i2i rear shock for an Oz, which one would you get and why?

thanks for your input. I need an answer within 2 days (today in Monday, Feb. 14)

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 06:04:42 am »
I would get 8.5 i2i. The reason is that 7 7/8 is too short for all but a 3 inch stroke fork, you would have to ride with virtually no sag.

The 8.5 on the other hand has 2.5 inches of travel, meaning that it tops out slightly above the stock shock, and bottoms out slightly below the stock shock. So the travel blows right through the stock shock's range. Set at 1 inch of sag and you are riding at the same height as stock. The only down side is some added brake jacking, but oh the ride is so smooth.

On the other hand if standover is considered, try a 7.5x2 and extend it to 8.2 i2i.

Terry

« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 06:11:55 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 07:38:09 am »
I don't think so... I haven't tried an 8.5, but my 7.825 Stratos works really well. Matches my 4 inch X-vert perfectly. I never notice a slack feel, and I certainly don't notice a difference in handling (I sometimes swap with my wife's 8.25" Astro5). I run a lot of sag (about 1/3 of the shock stroke) and the BB height has never been a problem. Certainly higher than a 4" Jekyll in the slack setting. (I wacked my pedals/cranks/chainrings about every 30 seconds on those - literally. I almost NEVER touch ground with my pedals on my 5000...)