Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 03:28:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60
60 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Just found a crack in my frame  (Read 3127 times)

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
Just found a crack in my frame
« on: February 05, 2005, 11:40:24 am »
What a sad day.  [smiley=disbelief.gif]

I was just servicing the swing arm pivots on my 955 and 855 when I found a small crack in the gusseting aroung the seat tube on the 855.

It didn't really show up in the pics I took but I will try and get better ones.

I guess I now have spare parts uless I decide to send it off to be repaired.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 11:40:52 am by sammydog »

jinder

• Master
Re: Just found a crack in my frame
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 12:17:27 pm »
How much will it cost for repair?  Can you post a pic?
Beast

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 12:32:26 pm »
I am not sure if I will repair the bike at this stage. It may just become spare parts to keep the 955 running sweet. I probably should get a quote though.

I will try and get a pic that shows the crack later today. The pics I took earlier didn't really show it.

jinder

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 03:11:24 pm »
Damn...  I feel your pain   [smiley=worry.gif]
Beast

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 06:37:58 am »
If its served you well  ;)then I say repair it,
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 06:26:33 pm »
and on those wise words I'll look into the repairing of the frame.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 02:45:48 am »
Weld it.

Feather the paint back an inch or so. Becarefull not to sand into the metal thinning it, using emry cloth or scotchbrite.

Take to a weld shop that will use 5000 series alloy heat treatable filler wire(high strength). The most common is 5356. Yeti uses 5183. If he or she does not know what you mean, run. The frame can be welded as much as you want. Ground clamp in the seat tube and DO NOT DRESS THE WELD AFTER! The 7005 easton tube is self hardening, so you can weld and ride. It is good to let sit for a week or more to allow for stresses to relax. A little paint and off you go.

If you do the prep and the welder welds, the repair should fall under the shop minimum charge. $30 to $50 US is normal. Make sure the welder can do a full penetration weld with not craters at the end. I have welded tons of  cracked GT Idrive frames at the seat clamp and never had a return.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 06:49:09 am »
I'll be sending it to grip sport http://www.gripsport.com.au/ when I get the chance. They are pretty much gurus over here at frame repairs. I don't know that I trust myself to find a decent welder.

This will have to join the (growing) list of bike purchases that are urgent. The brake pads, chain, cassette, chainrings and inner/outer cables for my epic. The Mag30 wheelset to complete my Aline frame and the new chain, cassette, chainrings and pivot kit (assuming K2 still sell them) for the 955. I need to fing a cheaper sport.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 08:35:45 am »
Hey me too ! I entered the Jamaica national DH champs on my Evo and finished a credible 6th over the weekend. Lars Tribus won. After the race I realized I'd cracked the seat tube[ doing a 5' drop I assume]. I will probably not bother to repair as I think it is time for a change. Means I may have an alum swingarm with disc adaptor for sale. I might try and pick up a HT K2 freeride frame cheap as a temp solution so will hopefully still be a K2 rider. Just in case you were wondering there were only 6 entrants !! I should be able to post some cool pics once my mate sends them to me.

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 08:18:49 pm »
Well done in the race, unlucky about the frame. I only use the proflex for XC riding. I'd love a k2 for racing DH but as they don't make anything I race a Norco Atomik at the moment, but that only while I am putting the finishing touches on my new Norco A-Line frame. I'm waiting for the new wheelset at the moment.