Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:21:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Old Proflexer. How do you like the 5thElement  (Read 2561 times)

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
Old Proflexer. How do you like the 5thElement
« on: January 30, 2005, 04:48:06 am »
Hey Old Proflexer or anyone who owns a 5th Element or Fox Vanilla RC.
I stumbled across your review at MTBR.com for the 5th Element. If you haven’t read the Forgive me , forum I Poster a reply saying "I hope to get a 2Step". Well it is official I am in the process of working out a deal with someone. The frame comes with either a 5th or a Fox Vanilla RC. I don't know which one to opt for yet. I am hoping that you mite tell me how it rides now after 2+ years of sporting with it.

Although you seem happy with it, how do you account for all the bad reviews it got (it got a rating of 3.97 out of 5)?
Does it need allot of upkeep to keep it going strong?

If any body else has an opinion for which shock I should get please feel free to say.

Ionit.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: Old Proflexer. How do you like the 5thElement
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 02:01:48 pm »
I haven't been over there in many, many moons.

I had to have the original 5th rebuilt as it was having 'issues'

but since the rebuild and the latest parts, keep in mind i use it for xc and not downhill like the bashers - wouldn't have any other.  

for regular xc er's i recommend my back up bikes shock, the fox talas r(L) - marry that with a psylo sl up front and you have more adjustments than a chiropractor learns in school.

OP

(shoot a message to Sprucey, he's got one as well)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 02:03:05 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 03:49:23 am »
I've got one as well. I fitted it in the Autumn and it has proved very reliable and greatly improves the performance of the Oz. It has added some weight as the coil over is a big bit of kit but the pedal damping properties far outweigh the extra weight - even when climbing.

I too read the MBR review. I think that all related to early shocks. The UK forums reported none of those problems - I think the fork did not arrive in the Uk for about 4-6 months after the US.

The only small niggle is having to check the air pressure in the piggy back each time before I ride. It has never actulally lost any though and the shock pump that comes with the shock is lovely and easily stowed in my camelback.

The pedal platform does work and makes the bike feel quite hard on the small bumps n the flat. It is a bike tuners dream with so many knobs, bells and whistles you will never get bored.

I bottomed it out for the first time the other day so a little more tuning required!
Sprucey

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 10:10:15 am »
I have the 3-way 5th Element.  It came stock on my 2005 Cannondale Gemini.  The things I notice is the SPV platform pedaling and the bottomless feeling.

My friend has a Bullit with the 5-way 5th Element.  I noticed it is harder to get his bike in the air.  It wants to stick to the ground.    

Get the 5-way Fifth if you race downhill.  Get the 3-way Fifth if you like to jump and get air time.

Here's a review of a Bullit that the reviewer had a chance to test the Fox RC and 5th Element o the same bike.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/new_bullit_06_02.php

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 10:48:40 am »
Thanks guys. That really helped. It sounds like the shock is partial to the tinkering mechanic type of rider.  I don't mind filling air in the shock regularly. It is fun playing around with that kind of thing (the only exception being on racing day.)
But Before buying one I have one more comparison to make on my own. I need to see how much $$ each option will run me.

Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 07:37:21 pm »
Hi Ionit,

5th Elemnet have now brought out a new airshock with longer I2I and travel.

When I bought my coil the air was not long enough for the Oz.

If I had my time again, I would probably hve bought the air shock to save weight but would still have gone for the 5way (if available) as I like the tueability.

Sprucey